Quarter vs. Semester Vet School Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chordy4

OSU c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can only think of one vet school that I KNOW has a quarter curriculum, which is OSU. I would assume UC-Davis does as well because they're on the west coast where quarters are the norm. I was just wondering:
1) What other vet schools do quarters (if any)
and
2) How do you feel about quarter vs. semester if you have experienced both: either having attended a school with a quarter-system in undergrad and then semesters in vet school or vice versa.

Members don't see this ad.

Missouri has more the quarter system The semester is divided into two 8 week blocks or instructional periods. The first semester of vet school is the same for both (small animal anatomy, histology, cell biology, and physiology), but after that, things change every 8 weeks. Still, a lot of classes are still actually two blocks (or a full semester), like large animal anatomy, immunology, and bacteriology for us. We also go a block or 8 weeks into the summer after first and second year so we get into clinics the equivalent of a semester faster than most other schools. I like the fast pace of it. The sooner we get out of the classroom and into the clinic the better!

Hello! My undergrad was at Cal Poly Pomona and I was on the quarter system there. Here as a vet student at KSU, we are on a semester system. Personally, I prefer the quarter system... I like to move at a fast rate and just get things going right away in terms of studying.

I'm only in the first 2 weeks of vet school thus far though, so I don't know if I've been through enough yet to really know how the semester system is like in vet school for me. I could probably go at a little bit of a faster rate at this point, but that's probably because it's really early and we're doing mostly review type things (anatomy of bones, basic histology, etc). And it might not be review for everyone if you haven't had anatomy or histology as an undergrad; which I did, therefore my opinion my differ.

I have a feeling when I really get into the core of vet school I'll be glad that we're on a semester system. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed, Davis is on a quarter system. I've done both (undergrad = semester, masters = quarter) and don't have any preference. You cover the same amount of material in 4 years of vet school no matter what system it is on.

I moved from a traditional semester system (undergraduate) to the quarter system and actually like having the quarter system (except getting out of school in the middle of June, YUCK!) for vet school.

While it is faster paced, you take fewer classes (at least for me, I averaged 18-19 credit hours in undergrad so the pace didn't seem to big of a difference).

It IS nice when you have a class that you dislike, you can look at it and think, "Well, only TEN weeks of this!" rather than in the semester where, "Well, suck it up, fifteen weeks of this horrible class!"

There are definite benefits and downsides to each. Be prepared to jump in feet first if you are moving from semester --> quarter because the pace will take you by surprise initially.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
I was just curious, because (I'm ashamed to admit) I had somehow gotten hold of the notion that all vet schools were on a semester system and was rather shocked to realize "oh wait, some are on quarters too!". :oops:

Obviously the same information will be imparted to students in both scenarios, but it just struck me that there could be slight differences or a perceived like/dislike from students who were used to the other type of system. Not exactly a decision-making factor when it comes to choosing a school, but interesting nonetheless...at least to me.

(Just for the record, my undergrad was at a school on a quarter system. One would think that would make me MORE AWARE of vet schools on quarters as well.)

I'm on semesters at WSU -- I came from quarters at UW.

Now seeing that I haven't actually completed my first year at WSU, I can't say for dead certain. But by looking at my schedule for the next year I'm actually liking the semesters. Mostly because we get a month off for Christmas break! It is annoying starting in mid August though.

I did two years of both quarters and semesters in undergrad, and for the most part I like quarters better. Like someone else mentioned the fact that you are in a class for 10 weeks rather than 16 helps me a lot(i think my ADD kicks in after about 10 weeks:D). The biggest drawback is being in class until June.:thumbdown: