Question about 5+ year old courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Short Round

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that many schools want all pre-req. sciences to have been within the past 5 years or they won't count the grade.

I'm taking pre-reqs for pharm right now, back in school after a 3year break...and on my first "tour of duty," :lol: I had 2 F's (evolutionary bio..failed it TWICE) ...but this was in 2000-2001...basically never went to class and was always doing something else so I totally trashed my undergrad GPA (sub 2.0)

Fast forward to 2008 & a different school, I've knocked out most of my pre-req science/math and have a 3.66 so far...

so does PHARMCAS/AMCAS/etc still factor in the 2 F's from over 5 years (almost 10 now) ago when they calculate the overall GPA?

It'd be real nice not to be dragged down from the 2 F's from so long ago, but my gut feeling says they still include it when they figure your GPA.

Hopefully if they screw you one way, they won't the other way :lol:

I'm going to email some schools about this issue, but figured i'd ask here first incase anyone had any info. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS will definitely include your early coursework grades in figuring your application GPA. I have no idea what PHARMCAS does, but someone in the Pre-Pharm forum likely will. AACOMAS, the DO med school application service will replace a bad grade with the retake and not include the original grade in the application GPA.

thanks for the answer and I have no idea how I ended up posting in this section haha. Must've hit "new thread" from one of the search windows I had open. sorry bout that

It's my impression that most med schools do not expire prerequisite grades and that only a few do this.