Question about ASTRO abstracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proton_cannon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah that's awesome. Mind elucidating the work that got accepted? I'd love to know what it takes to accomplish that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a med student that has done rad onc research for some time now and was fortuntate to have multiple abstracts accepted to ASTRO. Does it look weird to bring 3-4 posters to present? I was at ASTRO last year and can't recall a single person who had two or more posters. I will probably be applying this year and I am sure a lot of the attendings at ASTRO will be the same as the ones I will hopefully interview with later in the year--I don't want to do anything to put anyone off or think I am an overzealous gunner (which I'm not--I initially submitted so many since I didn't know how competitive it is to get in and thought it would look better on the CV if they didn't get published before I apply). Thanks in advance.

Congratulations!
Several folks had three posters, but I am not sure if anyone had four. It certainly looks impressive, and not weird. Why would it look bad?

The only problem with having multiple posters is that you can't stand next to them all in the poster session. They often spread them throughout the exhibit hall, and you just have to pick one to stand at. That's a shame because that's a great networking opportunity.

The way I submit abstracts nowadays is I just submit one strong project or two reasonable projects to ASTRO and save the other posters for future conferences. As long as the data isn't published first, that's the best way to keep things flowing.

If you do get multiple oral presentations (one of my co-residents got 3 this year!!!! Woah!), ASTRO rules state you're only supposed to present one and have co-authors present the others. So that's another risk you run--quality abstracts that get oral presentations that you end up not being able to give.

Edit: ;)

Last edited:
I am a med student that has done rad onc research for some time now and was fortuntate to have multiple abstracts accepted to ASTRO...

Well it looks like your work is good enough to get recognized at ASTRO, congrats! Maybe next year you could think about focusing on submitting just 1 or 2 abstracts and trying to get a talk. I think 1 talk is worth 2 or 3 posters? maybe not 4 though?! :p But Neuronix is right, logistically you won't be able to stand by that many posters for any significant amount of time..

I'm a rising MS4 and considering sending an abstract to an ASCO meeting. How much would a published meeting abstract/poster at ASCO/ASTRO help my application if I'm an MD/PhD with several papers already? The reason I'm asking is that I will be doing away rotations in the next two months and if the extra abstract/poster won't add much to my application as an MD/PhD, I'd rather spend that time focusing on my aways and try to get good letters. In a broader sense, how much does Rad Onc research help an MD/PhD applicant? Of course having some Rad Onc research is better than none, but I guess everything comes at a cost...

that's what she said

high-five-todd-o.gif

I'm a rising MS4 and considering sending an abstract to an ASCO meeting. How much would a published meeting abstract/poster at ASCO/ASTRO help my application if I'm an MD/PhD with several papers already? The reason I'm asking is that I will be doing away rotations in the next two months and if the extra abstract/poster won't add much to my application as an MD/PhD, I'd rather spend that time focusing on my aways and try to get good letters. In a broader sense, how much does Rad Onc research help an MD/PhD applicant? Of course having some Rad Onc research is better than none, but I guess everything comes at a cost...

If none of your other research is radiation oncology related I think it is helpful to have at least one rad onc presentation. The importance will vary greatly from program to program though.

Reactions: 1 user
As a med student, this will be my first ASTRO (or major conference for that matter. I'm wondering what the etiquette is for a badge.

Name, BA (or should I put medical student or MD candidate?)
Institution
City, State