Question about being IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miserablelife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a IMG(no green card) currently studying medicine in Europe and hope to practice in the US in the future. But after reading a lot about how hard it is for IMG to match I'm starting to think whether trying to get into a US med school will be a better choice. Getting into US med school is also very hard for IMG. So, I hope someone could compare the possibility of matching into US as IMG and getting into US med school as IMG. In other words, which one is more doable or will have a better outcome if I put in hard work? ((my current med school is 6 years and I don't have a college degree yet))

Members don't see this ad.

getting into med school as a non-citizen is essentially impossible, considering you have to pay tuition upfront at many places since you're ineligible for student loans (meaning 200,000 dollars or more). Most schools don't take international students either and those that do are extremely competitive (eg Stanford/Yale/Harvard etc etc). There are some schools lower on the totem pole, but even then, it's difficult to gain entry.

finally, why do you want to come to the US? Why not stay in Europe and practice? What can you do here that you can't do in Europe besides cash-in?

getting into med school as a non-citizen is essentially impossible, considering you have to pay tuition upfront at many places since you're ineligible for student loans (meaning 200,000 dollars or more). Most schools don't take international students either and those that do are extremely competitive (eg Stanford/Yale/Harvard etc etc). There are some schools lower on the totem pole, but even then, it's difficult to gain entry.

finally, why do you want to come to the US? Why not stay in Europe and practice? What can you do here that you can't do in Europe besides cash-in?

I understand it is very hard for non US to get into US medschools, but some people still get in. Same for getting matched as IMG. Paying 4 years of tuition upfront is not a problem for me. I've been to the US several times and I really like it there. I hope I'll have the opportunity to immigrate there in the future. I am not an EU citizen, so it's not 100% that I'll have a seat in the EU. I've also seen several articles about the increase of US med schools and will greatly decrease the possibility for IMG to match in the US, but might increase my possibility of getting into a US medschool? I am ready to work and study hard, but I want to do it for the one that has the highest possibility of succeeding my goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
The primary MD application service, AMCAS, does not accept foreign college transcripts, so getting into a US college would be a hurdle for you to explore next.

If I decide to try and get into US med school, I'll go through the route of Community college--->State college--->apply med school

AMCAS doesn't accept foreign college transcripts? I know of a Canadian person who did undergrad at some school in Vancouver and graduate school in the US. They were accepted to a US MD program. Did AMCAS just go by the US grad school transcript?

There are a lot of US MD programs that accept international students. However, it is extremely competitive and you'll probably have to do some undergrad classwork in the United States. You are also ineligible for US federal loans.

AMCAS doesn't accept foreign college transcripts? I know of a Canadian person who did undergrad at some school in Vancouver and graduate school in the US. They were accepted to a US MD program. Did AMCAS just go by the US grad school transcript?
Canada isn't considered to be "foreign". There are rare American-affiliated international institutions that are also accepted by AMCAS. The list is in the Application Instructions.

That's interesting to know. What about Mexico, is Mexico foreign?

If I were to guess I would say it is easier to match as an IMG than to get into a US medical school as an IMG.
I think recent data supports your "guess," though one must keep in mind that non-US, non-Canadian IMGs that match include those that have already completed a residency in another country, plus, often, a year of US observership/research. It is expected that increasing US med school seats will decrease the number of successful IMG matches in coming years, however.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were to guess I would say it is easier to match as an IMG than to get into a US medical school as an IMG.

If thats true..then i guess I'll forever be locked out from competitive residencies... :(

There are a lot of US MD programs that accept international students. However, it is extremely competitive and you'll probably have to do some undergrad classwork in the United States. You are also ineligible for US federal loans.

I'm not from Canada unfortunately.. I don't have a college degree yet. I'm in a 6 years medical school. So, if I'm going to apply for US medschool I'll do "Community College-->Transfer to State College--->Apply Med school" I won't need loans. I'll be able to pay for the 4 years tuition up front. I think a lot of med schools require the international students to do that.

I think recent data supports your "guess," though one must keep in mind that non-US, non-Canadian IMGs that match include those that have already completed a residency in another country, plus, often, a year of US observership/research. It is expected that increasing US med school seats will decrease the number of successful IMG matches in coming years, however.

Yes, the increase of seats for US medschool is the main reason why I'm thinking about apply to US college and then Med school. But I don't want the increased seats are all reserved for US citizens and I'll end up blocked out and have to become an IMG again.

Why don't you complete your training in Europe and then immigrate once you have completed everything? I'd rather do that than start from scratch.

Yes, the increase of seats for US medschool is the main reason why I'm thinking about apply to US college and then Med school. But I don't want the increased seats are all reserved for US citizens and I'll end up blocked out and have to become an IMG again.
What is your country of origin? Can you qualify for an expedited green card in the US so that you would have equal access to med school seats?

Why don't you complete your training in Europe and then immigrate once you have completed everything? I'd rather do that than start from scratch.

I'm just one year into my 6 years medschool. So, I wouldn't lose much to start over if its worth it. I have this thought because being a IMG/FMG means I can only consider low tier FM IM Peds Psych General Surgery Path, and even so, there's still a high risk of not matching.

What is your country of origin? Can you qualify for an expedited green card in the US so that you would have equal access to med school seats?

I hope to keep my identity anonymous, but people from my country mostly got green card from lottery or from family, so I guess our country is not eligible for expedited green card.