Question about DDS/PhD funding...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckyBoy_DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for MSTP programs that if you drop the PhD you dont have to repay back the tuition..

How is this set-up for DDS/PhD programs? Are the ones funded by the NIDCR similar to the MSTP?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know for MSTP programs that if you drop the PhD you dont have to repay back the tuition..

How is this set-up for DDS/PhD programs? Are the ones funded by the NIDCR similar to the MSTP?

Thanks

DDS/PhD programs were designed to train future dental clinician-scientists. I would advise you to pursue a DDS/PhD program if you are interested in academia (research, teaching, etc) at least on a part-time level. Not designed to make you a fast buck.

the quick answer to the OP is yes, the funding works the same way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely want to go into some aspect of research..

I'm not doing it for the money.. The thing is one of my friends is in a NON-MSTP MD/PhD program and they made him sign a contract stating that if he drops the PhD portion, he would have to pay back the first two years in Medical school..

I know the MSTP NIH funded ones dont require you to re-pay, but just wondering about some fo the DDS/PhD programs..

a critical difference between the dds/phd and the md/phd training is the fact that the former is more disruptive from a clinical aspect.

for dental students, after all the lab work in the first two years, the transition from 2nd to 3rd is critical and best if not disrupted. unfortunately, often times with dds/phd training, it is.