Question about dual degree DO/MS, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daphne7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be matriculating to med school this fall, but several of the schools that I might be going to have certain dual-degree programs such as DO/MS, or DO/MA, etc. I was thinking about residency, and honestly, is it really worth it to get that extra degree to broaden knowledge and be more competitive for residency? In addition, some of these programs are also such that I would have to take a year off to complete the master's program in between my 2nd and 3rd year. I tutored and was a TA for multiple classes back in undergrad, and the more I think about it, the more I believe I have a passion for teaching and educating the next generation of medical students in additional to my clinical duties, and I really want to go into academic medicine, but I'm not sure if my time would be better spent with these programs(some of which are geared towards teaching specifically/offer fellowships), or if I should use that time more on research and publications/volunteering. Let me know your experiences and/or opinions. Thank you so much! I plan on going into a primary care field, for reference.

Best,
Jun

Members don't see this ad.

Dual-degree DO/PhD here. IMO, the degrees matter in this order: DO/MD, PhD, MPH, MS.

from what I’ve seen, masters students get very little return on their investment in terms of publications and research outcomes. They also don’t have the skills/qualifications to run their own lab like a PhD would.

the utility of an MS, in my experience, is to guarantee acceptance to medical school the following year. If your degree is between years 2-3, then I don’t know what it will give you. I’d only do it if you want to.

Reactions: 2 users
As you go further along in medical education, you’ll realize a lot of physicians do not have a passion for academic medicine or teaching. This shouldn't be a surprise as most physicians/surgeons ultimately enter private practice without teaching responsibilities.

I think if you consistently demonstrate a willingness to teach for the right reasons you shouldn't have a difficult time finding a clinical teaching position without a dual degree. Especally in primary care. There are also plenty of translational researchers with only a medical degree.

Reactions: 3 users
As you go further along in medical education, you’ll realize a lot of physicians do not have a passion for academic medicine or teaching. This shouldn't be a surprise as most physicians/surgeons ultimately enter private practice without teaching responsibilities.

I think if you consistently demonstrate a willingness to teach for the right reasons you shouldn't have a difficult time finding a clinical teaching position without a dual degree. Especally in primary care. There are also plenty of translational researchers with only a medical degree.
Do they realize that because they had the intention to go into academia but see what academic medicine truly is about and are discouraged by it, or did they not want to enter academia in the first place?