Question about entering vet school while depressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terrified

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering applying to enter vet school in 2010. Right now I'm pretty depressed and on anti-depressants. I'm currently unemployed but I'm going to seek out a couple vet internships.

I'm so afraid that I'll be overwhelmed and won't be able to handle the stress of vet school. Or would being super busy keep my mind distracted (like it did while I was in college). I would love to be a vet more than anything.

Anyone here suffering from severe depression and applying to vet school? I guess I'm just looking for opinions or thoughts.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any experience with this, but here's my line of thought:

So you are depressed now, and will presumably continue to have issues with depression throughout your life. You'll have to deal with those issues, obviously, but what I'm trying to say is...

You can be depressed while pursuing the future that you "want more than anything," or you can be depressed and... do something that's not what you truly want to do. Which one sounds better?

Also, if college helped by giving you something to focus on, well, vet school gives you LOTS to focus on.

Do you have the pre-requisites to apply? Do you have any vet experience yet? These are the things you should worry about first if you decide to proceed.

Good luck on the decision!

Take things one step at a time. Do what you can to get ready to apply, like Twelvetigers said. Take care of the basics - good diet, enough sleep, etc. Keep re-assessing how you feel periodically. If you feel ready to apply next year, then do it. If not, then wait until you feel a little stronger.

I won't kid you - vet school is an insane amount of work. I can't imagine trying to do it during a depressive episode (and yes, I had one during undergrad so I know what it is like). However, many schools have very good counseling and support systems so you can get help in case of a relapse.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm right in the middle of a study break from a very stressful week, so you'll get my blunt and honest recommendation: get your stuff together before you start even applying. We've had several people in our class drop or defer due to "medical issues" (depression) and we've had to hire a PhD psychologist as a counselor. It's not something that gets better either in vet school, at least not in my experience. :( And the first few years of vet school in particular is when you often feel the furthest away from your goal sitting in class all day, test after test after test (like this week...four tests, one quiz, and one draft of a group project due this week!). It's doable and it's great that you do know your limits and that you are addressing those limitations. Good luck! :luck:

I really think you need to be in a good place before undertaking such a huge responsibility. The good thing is that you have time to get to that place before you are planning to apply. This will give you an opportunity to work on the regimen that will help you through this, whether that involves counseling, medication, or some other combination of things. In all of my social work classes, we always were taught that we would never be able to help anyone else if we weren't in a good place ourselves (mostly meaning our own mental health). I think this could be just as true in vet school, meaning it would be difficult to learn and get the whole experience if your mental health is causing you so much strife.

I hope you find what works for you to help you through this. Good luck! :luck:

In all of my social work classes, we always were taught that we would never be able to help anyone else if we weren't in a good place ourselves (mostly meaning our own mental health).

They told us a very similar thing during our vet school orientation. Everyone heard over and over again to have a balanced life so vet school doesn't overwhelm you and you're happier overall. Our school has 2 psychologists (? I forget, which one is the type that has gone to medical school? We have those.) We're all encouraged to be as balanced as possible - being a good doctor starts by being able to take care of yourself.

I think that taking steps towards your goals would help combat depression! Live a balanced life one step at a time :luck:

Our school has 2 psychologists (? I forget, which one is the type that has gone to medical school? We have those.)

Psychiatrists, but generally psychologists are better at diagnosing mental health issues and counseling, and psychiatrists understand the medication part of the treatment better, so I'd hope you have both on hand.

Although I've never had clinical depression, or taken antidepressants, my family does have a history of depression and it is something I've had to deal with in the past. For me, having a project and a goal helps a lot.

Right now, you have a whole year to get yourself in shape to apply to vet school, and if you decide to wait another year, no harm. I cannot fathom all that has changed for me in the last year; at this point in 2007, I was just starting my last year of pre-vet classes (having made the decision to pursue veterinary medicine about two months prior), I was just about to start a job at the local animal shelter, and my husband and I were renting an apartment. Now, one year later, we own the house we were living in and are landlords, I am starting a job at a vet clinic, I am done with all my pre-vet classes (and finished the last two classes for my chemistry major), I am a weekly surgery assistant at my shelter, and I have learned a ton about professional animal care and veterinary medicine. My point is, a year is a long time if you keep yourself occupied and moving forward. A lot happens in those 52 weeks if you make opportunities for yourself.

In your shoes, I would take one step at a time and see how you feel about things. Make sure to make time for yourself too, though; I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew and that can cause tension and depression too. Don't try to make a decision about school right now--let the future unwind a bit more but plan so that you can go if you feel up to it. Remember, too, there's almost a year lag between applying and actually starting school. Just my 0.02.

Best of luck to you.

I would recommend having it in "remission" before you apply. I just wouldn't have time in vet school to toy with meds and the like.

Honestly, as a second year now, you need to have any mood disorders under control before you come to vet school. There is no room to play with medicine and it may take you awhile to find the right one. Whatever you need to do to get it under control (medicine/therapy), start now. Vet school is A LOT more work than undergrad and if stress is a trigger for you, find out coping strategies. It is still totally possible to go to vet school, but you need to work things out now.