Question about first aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jekyll75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed everybody recommends first aid, my question is when should you start using it? I was thinking about buying this years addition but then I noticed that a new one comes out in December. Should I wait or just buy the one out now ?

Members don't see this ad.

buy it. also buy the updated version when it comes out before your boards. they are like $30. read it with your classes. carry it with you everywhere and make sure all your classmates know you have a copy during first year so they know who's coming in guns blazing.

Reactions: 10 users
Hmm I sense a strong sarcasm in this post

Members don't see this ad :)
buy it. also buy the updated version when it comes out before your boards. they are like $30. read it with your classes. carry it with you everywhere and make sure all your classmates know you have a copy during first year so they know who's coming in guns blazing.

Classic. Also, during mandatory lecture when everyone zones out, be sure to be seen doing Kaplan or Firecracker or Uworld quizzes on your iPad.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think there's any point for us incoming first years to be worrying about boards just yet. I'm just focusing on partying for now, when school starts I'll be focusing on learning the material well and acing my classes. I think second year is the time to buckle down with first aid and the other resources.

During 1st year, all you need to know is that the boards exist.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think there's any point for us incoming first years to be worrying about boards just yet. I'm just focusing on partying for now, when school starts I'll be focusing on learning the material well and acing my classes. I think second year is the time to buckle down with first aid and the other resources.

Lol at "focusing on partying"

Reactions: 1 user
Using first aid as a casual read summary before a test is nice if you want to have a different source with some concise review. It may only take 2-3hrs every few weeks and I found it helpful for classes. Other than that it seems pretty low yield at this point.

Start reading first aid in second year. First year just focus on learning the material in detail. It'll pay dividends when you go to review material you legitimately learned vs memorized.

Thanks for the advice guys, and definitely party all day er day ! If I have a year old edition would it really matter?

Thanks for the advice guys, and definitely party all day er day ! If I have a year old edition would it really matter?

Using an old edition would probably be fine up until January of the year you take boards. You'll want the new one once it comes out in January.

If you haven't memorized first aid before first year starts you're already behind. Why do you think they call it First aid OP?

If you haven't memorized first aid before first year starts you're already behind. Why do you think they call it First aid OP?
You're right ! I'm on it, better start on uworld too

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in my first year, and bought first aid in my first semester. I read it along with my textbooks, and I Think that has helped me a lot. Many of the graphics and explanations in first aid are better than the textbooks. Also, I think it will be very helpful when boards come around to already be familiar with first aid. I would recommend getting it early in your first semester.

Many of the graphics and explanations in first aid are better than the textbooks.

Also please remember that many of the graphics and explanations in first aid are wrong. The first thing you need to do when you buy first aid is go here and make corrections to your copy (and check back every couple months). And if something in first aid doesn't seem right to you, look it up somewhere else because it might not be.
http://www.firstaidteam.com/updates-and-corrections

I've noticed everybody recommends first aid, my question is when should you start using it? I was thinking about buying this years addition but then I noticed that a new one comes out in December. Should I wait or just buy the one out now ?

You do not need any board review materials during first year. You will not remember anything you use for review a year and a half before your actual study period.

Ditto above, just learn what is being taught in your classes first year. Second year you can use a QBank (I recommend Kaplan) to add supplemental questions along with the pertinent classes (If your school is organized by organ system). Then, start reading First Aid 4ish months before your test date to start putting everything together once you have been taught it all.

I say Kaplan to supplement your classes because you want to save UWorld questions for actual Step 1 study time, as their questions are more representative and you don't want to have seen them ahead of time.

I would recommend having a copy just to clarify some of the things professors illustrate poorly. The diagrams, mnemonics, and explanations present in FA saved my ass multiple times.

I appreciate the input guys. I will save uworld for second year but what about comlex question banks? Should I also start those second year ?

I appreciate the input guys. I will save uworld for second year but what about comlex question banks? Should I also start those second year ?

Your school might provide you with a question bank. Hold off on question banks until 2nd year. They're not necessary until then. Some people like to use Firecracker from the beginning though, but that's not really a question bank.

Your school might provide you with a question bank. Hold off on question banks until 2nd year. They're not necessary until then. Some people like to use Firecracker from the beginning though, but that's not really a question bank.

I agree. As soon as we finished taking our final 1st year exam, we were given combank at our school for 2nd year.

what i wish i had done
buy FA as a first year use and abuse that copy.
buy a new FA when you are transitioning into your board-studying. write only stuff from vetted material. don't put lecture notes into there. unless they're money, but trust me it won't be.

as far as qbanks go it really depends how your curriculum is set up.
but general rule of thumb: there will be minimal return on investment until you are somewhere along your second year. y? because the answers provided are often x2 the length of the question stem. it covers more than just x,y,z. therefore you won't understand it.

wanna gun? buy books recommended in the back of FA and use that as the foundation of your education. powerpoints are the worst way to learn.

what i wish i had done
buy FA as a first year use and abuse that copy.
buy a new FA when you are transitioning into your board-studying. write only stuff from vetted material. don't put lecture notes into there. unless they're money, but trust me it won't be.

as far as qbanks go it really depends how your curriculum is set up.
but general rule of thumb: there will be minimal return on investment until you are somewhere along your second year. y? because the answers provided are often x2 the length of the question stem. it covers more than just x,y,z. therefore you won't understand it.

wanna gun? buy books recommended in the back of FA and use that as the foundation of your education. powerpoints are the worst way to learn.
I don't wanna gun, far from it. I just want to put myself in the best position to succeed. If that means doing extra I don't mind but I won't deliberately step on others.

I think it's a great idea to buy it and review it with class. Some people say very different, but I reviewed neuro, cardio and MSK with class and also at the beginning of second year. , and when I went back for boards recently, I blew past these sections much easier than other people who "hadn't touched this stuff in a year". I also did FA Rx questions with it. It has helped my uworld scores a lot I think.

I'm a current 1st year and used FA A LOT!
Our curriculum is set up to start with anatomy first term which is very low yield and there is nothing in FA for it so I didnt use it at all during that term. Our second term is "bugs and drugs" which is EXTREMELY HIGH YIELD. That's when I started using FA. I used it ALL THE TIME during that term and have continued to use it.

My advice would be to to definitely use it during first year. It provides nice summaries to look over before a test.

I'm a current 1st year and used FA A LOT!
Our curriculum is set up to start with anatomy first term which is very low yield and there is nothing in FA for it so I didnt use it at all during that term. Our second term is "bugs and drugs" which is EXTREMELY HIGH YIELD. That's when I started using FA. I used it ALL THE TIME during that term and have continued to use it.

My advice would be to to definitely use it during first year. It provides nice summaries to look over before a test.
My semester is similar to yours.
I just got it in the mail today, a lot of the diagram are things I was tested on in undergrad. Sounds nerdy but I'm kind of excited!

I think it's a great idea to buy it and review it with class. Some people say very different, but I reviewed neuro, cardio and MSK with class and also at the beginning of second year. , and when I went back for boards recently, I blew past these sections much easier than other people who "hadn't touched this stuff in a year". I also did FA Rx questions with it. It has helped my uworld scores a lot I think.
Is that the fa rx the one they show in the back of the book?

I just bought mine too, i also bought the basic sciences series. the last thing i want is for this thing to go out of stock once the semester comes close to starting. Better safe than sorry!

In 1st year, I find it helpful, but not essential. I use it for reference and another look at pathology photos. However, not all professors look to it for high yield, so it's not great for studying straight from as it is so high yield and sometimes abbreviated.
That being said, you're going to have to have a copy at some point, so get it now.

Word is the 2015 copy has cheap pages and binding. I like my 2014 edition.

In 1st year, I find it helpful, but not essential. I use it for reference and another look at pathology photos. However, not all professors look to it for high yield, so it's not great for studying straight from as it is so high yield and sometimes abbreviated.
That being said, you're going to have to have a copy at some point, so get it now.

Word is the 2015 copy has cheap pages and binding. I like my 2014 edition.
Yea i heard that about the 2015 edition as well. I mean how significant is the change from 2014 to 2015?

The paper copy of 2015 is not that bad just take care of it like its a book from the library

What a noob, 2016 edition is coming out in 7 months, 4 months after semester 1. Patience is virtue.

@DrDreams 2015 version has more pictures, added Lac operon in biochemistry, few new drugs and pathologies added in subsequent organ systems, but overall content wise is not much different.