Question about flu, pneumococcal, humira, acyclovir

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxCowboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in community setting. Relatively new Pharmacist. Patient wants to get flu vaccine and pneumococcal vaccine. Patient has Chron's disease and is currently taking Humira. Patient also takes acyclovir prn for fever blisters.

Anybody know if I can give the vaccines?

Thanks,
RxCowboy

Members don't see this ad.

Yes -- what makes you think they aren't a great candidate? They should be getting pneumococcal and flu vaccines, without question. And they should have at least received Prevnar 13 before starting Humira, so make sure they didn't already. No Zostavax though, obviously.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes -- what makes you think they aren't a great candidate? They should be getting pneumococcal and flu vaccines, without question. And they should have at least received Prevnar 13 before starting Humira, so make sure they didn't already. No Zostavax though, obviously.

Agree and here is the link for your proof and reference:
as well, no live vaccine like MMR, Varicella.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult-conditions.html

Note the fine line of some patients with HIV, if patients are strong enough (if HIV infection CD4+ T lymphocyte count is over 200), still can get some live vaccines !
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult-conditions.html

Keep the reference handy in case you need to constructively argue this with another co-worker about giving LIVE VACCINE to HIV patient ! You win !

Attachments

• adult-schedule.pdf
    279.7 KB · Views: 41
I work in community setting. Relatively new Pharmacist. Patient wants to get flu vaccine and pneumococcal vaccine. Patient has Chron's disease and is currently taking Humira. Patient also takes acyclovir prn for fever blisters.
Anybody know if I can give the vaccines?
Thanks,
RxCowboy

There would be no concerns with inactivated vaccines (which influenza & pneumococcal are.) Live vaccines are trickier, not necessarily contraindicated, but there are more concerns there, and I wouldn't do it without a recommendation from the pt's physician.