question about FM write-ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hippocampus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
When you are seeing a patient for their annual PE, do you ask them for a full history (PSH/PMH, FM, SH, etc) if it is not their first time visiting the clinic?

What if you are taking a focused history, do you ask about those?

And if the patient keeps going on and on, how do you organize what they're saying on your note-pad if they keep jumping around? You don't have time to organize it because you have to present the case right after... what do you do? Any tricks to make the organization easier?

Thanks,
-medical student

Members don't see this ad.

When seeing a patient for their annual physical, and their full medical history was done at a previous intake visit, I think it's still worthwhile to ask if they've had any hospitalizations, ER visits, surgeries, or changes in their health status since their last physical. Also to document a current med list (including OTC), smoking, alcohol, drugs. It only takes a couple minutes to screen all these items. Of course if anything comes up positive on your screening, it takes time to address it, but in that case it's probably something that merits the time and attention to do so.

Oh yeah, and also to ask if any family members have had new major diagnoses in the past year...eg, MI, stroke, cancer...since family history is always evolving too.

Here's something you can try, but it would require you to try something you're not used to. (this is for the tangential patient)

walk in. say hello. put your pen down and just listen. try not to interrupt until they're done with their story.

It's very hard to do for many people. But give it a try. This is just personal experience, but I find patients have their story wrapped up in 3 minutes or so max. And sometimes it encompassed many items.

I don't have a photographic memory, but by just listening I feel I can organize my thoughts better. You get a sense of their purpose for being there and they feel you've taken the time to make them feel important.

Then it's my turn, and I break down their visit based on what they've told me. I ask questions relevant to my problem list for them, and this includes social history, family history, etc. If there's a great deal, I address the top 3 that bothers them the most, or should be addressed the most. make a plan to address the rest later at a follow up visit.;

If you become very comfortable with this style, you can combine your questioning while you are examining the patient.

When you walk out of the room, write down the problem list. figure out the plan mentally and walk through your conversation. If you took those few minutes to really listen, your plan will come together.

Medicine is an art, and I am by no means an expert. And yes, there are exceptions for the patient that brings in their "list". But I have truly found that this style fits me best, and works well once you've developed your efficiency methods. And I have at times seen as many as 25-30 patients in a day using this same style of "listening" and still finishing everything relatively on time.

For the screening physical, try doing a review of systems while doing your physical exam of each system. do a chart review before seeing the patient and ask if anything has changed from the previous year. look at their med list; this can tell you what their medical problems are off the bat.

If it's a woman their for a physical exam with pap, try doing the breast exam and pap first. when you're doing the exam, ask the family history, social, medical history, immunization updates, other screening exams while you are conversing with them. (this is something that will take some practice; I generally aske this during the breast exam and it distracts the patient). by the time you've completed the breast and pap, you've already finished taking your history. then you can move on to the physical and do your review of systems at the same time.

Anyways, some tips that could be useful (or not). Hope they help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everybody has their own style. If I sat there and let the patient control the conversation, I'd be spending 30 min on each patient when they only have a 10 min appt. Theres ways to be efficient but also to deliver good service and make the patient happy at the same time.

Here's something you can try, but it would require you to try something you're not used to. (this is for the tangential patient)

walk in. say hello. put your pen down and just listen. try not to interrupt until they're done with their story.

It's very hard to do for many people. But give it a try. This is just personal experience, but I find patients have their story wrapped up in 3 minutes or so max. And sometimes it encompassed many items.

I don't have a photographic memory, but by just listening I feel I can organize my thoughts better. You get a sense of their purpose for being there and they feel you've taken the time to make them feel important.

I really liked the sound of this method, so I tried it out in clinic last week. Didn't work so well for me. My patients definitely went on for longer than 3 minutes...one of them literally went on for 10 minutes and I had a hard time getting a word in edgewise. Once I gave her the floor, it was impossible to take it back. Still, I'd really like to learn how to use this method well, and I'd appreciate your advice.

So-- when you use this method, how do you deal with those patients who can't seem to wrap up their story in 3 minutes? And once you've identified those folks, how do you approach them at future visits?

Right now the big thing I'm working on is becoming more efficient in my continuity clinic, so any tips along these lines are much appreciated.

I really liked the sound of this method, so I tried it out in clinic last week. Didn't work so well for me. My patients definitely went on for longer than 3 minutes...one of them literally went on for 10 minutes and I had a hard time getting a word in edgewise. Once I gave her the floor, it was impossible to take it back. Still, I'd really like to learn how to use this method well, and I'd appreciate your advice.

So-- when you use this method, how do you deal with those patients who can't seem to wrap up their story in 3 minutes? And once you've identified those folks, how do you approach them at future visits?

Right now the big thing I'm working on is becoming more efficient in my continuity clinic, so any tips along these lines are much appreciated.

Well, just as nabeya mentioned, everyone has their own style. And I'd say for the MAJORITY of people, this probably is not the method for them. But I can say that for me personally, this has been a great method for me to use.

I thought about what you wrote, and thought about the other things that make my clinic go faster. I'm sure you know these already, but perhaps there may be a few things that you may use. There are exceptions (I'm no longer a resident, so I always have the same M.A. who knows my style and expectations...):

-I review the chart, and have a mental note of issues address things that should be done or the patient might ask about (re-order labs, radiology results, health maintenance, etc.)..anticipate some of their interests

-My M.A. already knows the chief complaint, but will ask about "anything else". Yes...pandora's box for a lot of people. But I like to know ahead of time. She'll write the list down (one or two words each) and yeah, maybe it will be 10 items long. But if you look at the list, you'll probably find 2 or 3 issues/symptoms and they may be related to each other and you can condense "the list". Since I've reviewed the chart (for the established patient), I may be able to answer the questions off the bat. Also from that list, I always think "what is really the most important one that can really have a bad outcome". Obviously that becomes #1.

-I have a good working relationship with my M.A., and I had a good 30 minute meeting when we first started working together about some things she can do to prep the patient for me. Like all diabetics to remove their shoes, check their blood sugar if they didn't check it that day. EKG automatically if they came in for "chest pain" (but she'll ask if one was just done very recently). peak flow and O2 sat for shortness of breath. urine dips for all women with abdominal pain and a pregnancy test if their period is not regular. This is just a short list. There are many more to list, but I'm sure you have many ideas

-For a screening physical, I already have lab slips labeled in the chart by my M.A.; I just check the usual "screening labs" and add the rest after I finish the visit

-having the cryo already in the room for warts, eye tray out for eye issues

-prepping the patient for procedures by having the paperwork ready

-coming in for f/u of fractures that I splinted/casts....patients automatically go to xray with my orders

The point I'm trying to make is that I really depend on my M.A. to take care of the "little things" that add up quickly and extend the visit. My M.A. is excellent, and anticipates what I need and is a quick learner.

Because she is already anticipating what I may need, and I have reviewed the chart beforehand, I usually have all of the information I need. Afterwards, it really is just me listening and I do try to keep it about 3 minutes max. (there are always exceptions). I know about the "10 minute stories", and we've all heard them. But that's why I have that list before I walk in the room, and my M.A. will make the list but will interrupt the patient when they start moving away from making a list (and very politely...she just defers to me to address more in detail).

For me, it really was preparation before actually walking in the room...and a lot of it was how well my M.A. can anticipate what is needed.

And about what I do: I am a Family Med/Sports Med doc, but I'd say about 65-85% of my day is primary care (the rest are consults or musculoskeletal patient visits of my own).

But I do admit, as a resident this method would never work. I always had a different M.A. with different skill levels of anticipation. Depending on the attending I had to discuss the patient, sometimes not at all, and sometimes from scratch (ugh, some attendings were just uber picky no matter what level resident you were). We've all been there...."oh by the way" was frustrating while I was a resident. But now, with what I am doing, I don't mind them anymore and when it does happen, I think about how if it's something minor it can actually upcode my visit, or add a modifier.

But it was these experiences where I thought about how I can make things more efficient, and once I had my own M.A. and receptionist, it became my own style and it was easier to see a lot of patients. And it was just a lot of trial and error to find what worked and what didn't.

Just please keep in mind, as I've mentioned before, I would say MOST people hate doing it this way, and that's okay. But for me, the reward of having the patient say to me "you're the first doctor I've ever had to just listen and not write/answer their phone/type in the room/etc." is just so gratifying. But it did take me a while to get to the point where I could just listen by making other parts of the visit more efficient to compensate.

And on a final note...having a great working environment can make a world of difference. My M.A and receptionist work together as a team, and believe it or not....if things are very busy and my M.A. is let's say doing an EKG and another patient is here...I will check them in myself and just start the visit (vitals and all). Little things like this speeds up things, makes the M.A. feel less pressure, and the patient is happy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply, aecuenca. You offer a number of excellent pointers, a few of which I have already been trying to incorporate, but knowing that they work well for you makes me that much more determined to try and make them a part of my own style.

I fully hear you that some things may be difficult in my resident clinic since I'm not always with the same MA, I have a greater ratio of new pts to f/u pts at this point, etc. It's reassuring to hear that some of my inefficiency is understandable with this set-up. I also know that I'll get better as I get more experience under my belt. It is also making me think about how I would like things to work in the future.

Thanks again for sharing what works for you!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply, aecuenca. You offer a number of excellent pointers, a few of which I have already been trying to incorporate, but knowing that they work well for you makes me that much more determined to try and make them a part of my own style.

I fully hear you that some things may be difficult in my resident clinic since I'm not always with the same MA, I have a greater ratio of new pts to f/u pts at this point, etc. It's reassuring to hear that some of my inefficiency is understandable with this set-up. I also know that I'll get better as I get more experience under my belt. It is also making me think about how I would like things to work in the future.

Thanks again for sharing what works for you!

Not a problem. Glad to see you found the information useful.

Today I have a good example of how the little things can mess up your timing.

Had a new patient come in. You know the one...66 year old female, diabetic, hypertensive, hyperchol with UTI and hx of breast CA. establish care.

No big deal. total face to face time including listening, lab order, plan formulation and education: 8-10 minutes. (of course my M.A. already had a blood sugar and urine dip done).

The actual visit took like 30 min because someone put in all this wrong medication into my EMR, it had to be removed one by one, re-entered, pick the new pharmacy, and the computer froze. Lovely.

But that's okay. Just keep seeing patients, managing the time. And in the end, the patient was happy to have established care with me.

Some things you can't control, right :)