Question about holds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attentive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received a hold following interview?

I just received a "we will continue to review your application. If you have any additional information you would like to submit please send them at this time" from u maryland.

I looked up the u maryland holds on search, and found a couple not so absolute answers. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how this hold would rank and what the timeline would be on the action. The prior posts were started at a fairly late stage already, but I've been placed on hold in the past week.

Is it

Acceptance, waitlist, hold, rejection

Acceptance, hold, waitlist, rejection

Any responses or further information on this would be appreciated. This new category is really bugging me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

well from my understanding waitlist=hold for the most part. Essentially most med schools accept 1.5X the size of their class that is if it is a rolling admissions program. They accept the exceptional people after interviews and place the less exceptional people on hold or a waitlist usually ranked (either by number or some other means) and then finally the even less exeptional are rejected. Essentially, most of the competitive candidates recieve more then one acceptance and have the right to hold the spot in multiple medical schools until May 15th (the date when every person accepted to multiple medical schools has to choose a single school that they want to keep the acceptance to). Usually people decide which school they want to go to before May 15th but they have to do it by May 15. When people drop an acceptance from a school then the school starts taking individuals off of the waitlist and accepts them. So essentially the diff between a hold and a waitlist is that a hold means they haven't yet filled the class and a waitlist is after they have filled the class. Either way they are making you wait :sleep: untill they finish interviewing and then they will make a decision on your status. Hope that helped a bit. Good Luck :luck:

Attentive -

Mind sharing your interview date? Are you in state? I'm starting to worry a bit since I interviewed in mid-Nov, and have yet to hear back. Maybe a hold for me too? Thanks in advance.