Question about Jefferson's funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a stupid question, but when they say they'll fund you for your first year but your PI has to fund the rest/apply for grants, does that mean there's a chance you have to pay if your PI can't fund you? Or is this exceedingly rare? Jefferson is the only non-MSTP I applied to so I'm a little confused about the details.

Members don't see this ad.

Is Jefferson one year preclinical? MSTPs really just fund med school years, so for me that's M1-M2 and then M3-M4 post-PhD. In your grad school years you are funded by your PI/department/grants like a normal PhD student. If they only pay for one year then that's troubling, but if they fund all of your med school years but not grad school, then that's normal.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Is Jefferson one year preclinical? MSTPs really just fund med school years, so for me that's M1-M2 and then M3-M4 post-PhD. In your grad school years you are funded by your PI/department/grants like a normal PhD student. If they only pay for one year then that's troubling, but if they fund all of your med school years but not grad school, then that's normal.
They fund the first year of grad. Oh okay, I was under the impression that MSTPs paid for all 8 years but encouraged students to apply for funding (ie, I assumed the MSTP provided the stipend for all 8 years and paid the medical tuition)

Reactions: 1 user