Question about letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doobiedoobah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question about LOR and application review. I submitted my application on September 15th with only 1 LOR. I have 3 more coming, but they weren't in the office yet. They have been received by the office now, but my school takes at least 5 days to upload them onto ERAS, so they won't be available to programs until after October 1st. I know that a lot of places won't even look at your application until it is complete, and with only 1 LOR my app is definitely not complete. Do you think this will hurt my chances of getting an interview at a lot of places? I'm usually not neurotic about this stuff, but I'm starting to panic a little bit. This whole process sucks. It just started and I hate it already.

Members don't see this ad.

You are worried about nothing. It is still very early in the process.

Not sure why you're hating the process. Most offices take a few days to process letters. Sounds like the biggest problem is that your letter writers are turning things in later than others. No matter what the process is, that can be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
which is better

3 strong LOR

or 3 strong LOR with 4th average (short/sweet) (but dept head, lots of titles)

I feel like the 4th removes the thunder from the 3?

I can hold out on submitting the relatively weaker 4th LOR and try to submit a different 4th LOR later in the process, when it most likely will not have much effect in gaining more IVs

or stick with 3 strong LORs, average 4th, and hopefully obtain strong 5th one to give at the interviews??

I don't think you should be stressing about LORs too much
it seems like you have 8 interviews arleady no?
Do you mind sharing some stats?
u can pm me if you want

The Penn program website does not say whether they accept/encourage a 4th LOR. Given that their application deadline is this Friday, anyone have any wisdom about whether I should send it? It is a leadership/personal attributes letter in addition to the Chair letter and 2 clinical.