Question about Lupus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharm1919

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone with any knowledge of Lupus could help me out.

A few years ago I had a blood test done and my doctor had mentioned that he had found lupus antibodies present in my blood, but that it wasn't anything to worry about. I never questioned it then, I guess just figuring he was the doctor - he must know what he's talking about.

I have been thinking about this recently, though, and it's started to worry me. Like maybe I should get another blood test done or something. I tried to find info about it, and found that lupus antibodies can be present for years before any symptoms of the disease actually appear. Should I be worried?

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharm1919 said:
I was wondering if anyone with any knowledge of Lupus could help me out.

A few years ago I had a blood test done and my doctor had mentioned that he had found lupus antibodies present in my blood, but that it wasn't anything to worry about. I never questioned it then, I guess just figuring he was the doctor - he must know what he's talking about.

I have been thinking about this recently, though, and it's started to worry me. Like maybe I should get another blood test done or something. I tried to find info about it, and found that lupus antibodies can be present for years before any symptoms of the disease actually appear. Should I be worried?

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I definately understand your concern. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. I, too, worry about whether I should keep getting checked. I haven't thus far, but it's probably one of the worst things I could do. Plus, I moved two states away, started med school, yada yada yada... I plan on going back to a rheumatologist some day, just not now. I was told not to worry. I was told I had a "slight strain" of lupus and that I probably would not develop those nasty effects that everyone knows about. But, I too, am skeptical of where I'm really at. My advice is to trust your doctor, follow up regularly, and comply with treatments (if one is prescribed) - none was in my case. Best of luck!

What type of antibodies are we talking as certain ones like anti-Sm and anti-dsDNA are much more specific than just a routine ANA which gets a lot of people in trouble when ordering them sporadically...

Please do not ask for medical advice on this forum. If you have questions about a medical condition, you should discuss it with your physician.

Status
Not open for further replies.