Question about MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Rapper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was filling out my AMCAS and had a question:

Will it be easier for me to get into a medical school if I apply MD/MPH at the applicable schools rather than just MD? Meaning, would I get into a school that wouldn't normally accept me into their MD program but would as an MD/MPH?

Keep in mind that I have a pretty strong interest in public health and even considered doing MPH separately before medical school. I just graduated with a double major in Biology and Sociology. I have also done significant social healthcare research.

Do I still want to add the extra year of schooling with MPH? Maybe, maybe not... The thing is, if I got into an MD/MPH program, I probably wouldn't hesitate to take the opportunity even though the extra year of school kind of sucks. Let me know your thoughts...

Please don't think that I would just do MPH to help get me in (if that is true). I just figure I should enhance my chances any way possible. Might as well get another degree that could help me in the future. Thanks everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

MD - From my experience, it does NOT help you get in, in fact I would venture to say that it could almost hurt your application if it doesn't stand out. I don't know this for a fact though...

I applied to 15 schools, 6 as MD/MPH applicant. I received 5 interviews, and none of them were at any of the MD/MPH schools, even though I got interviews at equal or better schools, and my numbers were within their average. So, this could certainly be coincidence, but I do find it a little interesting that I didn't get any interviews at schools where I had applied MD/MPH...

I think it works better the other way around. By getting accepted MD, you get special consideration for the MPH program. If only it worked the other way around..........Like you, I'm considering going the dual route. I've decided to get a taste of medical school before I commit to the MPH program. Hopefully the possibility of the fifth year of school doesn't scare me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
lilmo said:
I think it works better the other way around. By getting accepted MD, you get special consideration for the MPH program. If only it worked the other way around..........Like you, I'm considering going the dual route. I've decided to get a taste of medical school before I commit to the MPH program. Hopefully the possibility of the fifth year of school doesn't scare me off.

agreed... focus on getting in just MD, then if you want the MPH enter it during your first year. Also, you don't need to do an extra year... it can be integrated during the 4 years at some schools.

thanks everyone... i think I will stick with just MD and consider my MPH options later... sounds like the best course of action