Question about Odd Residency Dilemna?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I came across this site researching about residency. I'm having a difficult time deciding which state to claim residency. Currently am applying to freshmen undergrad. It's likely i'm gonna go the pre-med route. I'm in kind of a pecuilar situation or so at least i think. My dad is in California but I live in Texas with my mom. I know its possible for me to spend a year in California then become California resident by switching my driver's license to Cali and voter registration to Cali at least I think. I'm fond of the UC schools so thats def an option. However, would this mean I'd give up my Texas residency? I don't wana do that cause it seems Texas Residency is muy bueno towards instate unlike Cali. Plus, Texas med schools are wayyy cheaper it seems. So I guess my question is is it possible to become a California resident during undergrad years and pay instate UC undergrad admissions but still keep or switch back to Texas residency and go to Texas med school afterwards? Are there any resources/website that explain this? Is there a number or email I can contact to ask about this?

THanks in advance.
wwen

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert on residency requirements and maybe someone who actually lives in Texas can chime in and confirm this. But according to TMDSAS (https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/residency.html), in order to claim Texas residency, you have to live in Texas continuously for 12 months before the medical school application deadline. (I assume the word continuously implies that going to college out of state = no longer a Texas resident.)

This is just my take on things but it seems to me that the only way you could swing this is if you:
1) Moved to California for 1 year (if you want to be eligible for in-state tuition - but keep in mind that moving to CA doesn't guarantee that you'll be accepted to college there.)
2) Got accepted to a UC school for undergrad
3) Moved to Texas for 1 year after graduating from undergrad (i.e., take a gap year between college and med school)
4) Apply to Texas medical schools as a Texas resident

You're absolutely right that living in Texas gives you a big advantage in terms of medical school prospects. Whereas living in California... well, doesn't really. Best of luck.

Even if you graduate from a college in California, you would qualify for Texas residency in two different ways according to the Texas Education Code:

1) You graduated from a Texas high school. This would seem to be the easiest (and most appropriate) if you are currently living with your mother in Texas.

21.24. Determination of Resident Status.
(a) The following persons shall be classified as Texas residents and entitled to pay resident tuition at all institutions of higher education:
(1) a person who:
(A) graduated from a public or accredited private high school in this state or, as an alternative to high school graduation, received the equivalent of a high school diploma in this state, including the successful completion of a nontraditional secondary education, and

2) You could also claim Texas residency if your mother remains a Texas resident (satisfying the conditions for Texas residency) AND can claim you as a dependent by the standards of the IRS Revenue Code of 1986. If you apply to medical school as a junior in college, she will definitely be able to claim you as a dependent, just make sure she does it and not your father.

Definition: (5) Dependent--A person who: (B) is eligible to be claimed as a dependent of a parent of the person for purposes of determining the parent’s income tax liability under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

(a) The following persons shall be classified as Texas residents and entitled to pay resident tuition at all institutions of higher education:

(3) a dependent whose parent:
(A) established domicile in this state not less than 12 months before the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution; and
(B) maintained domicile continuously in the state for the 12 months immediately preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution.

--
WGSgrad

Last edited:
As long as your mom continues to claim you as a dependent (i.e. your dad does not claim you as a dependent) you are a Texas resident. If your dad claims you as a dependent, you are a resident of California.

Even if you graduate from a college in California, you would qualify for Texas residency in two different ways according to the Texas Education Code:

1) You graduated from a Texas high school. This would seem to be the easiest (and most appropriate) if you are currently living with your mother in Texas.

(1) a person who:
(A) graduated from a public or accredited private high school in this state or, as an alternative to high school graduation, received the equivalent of a high school diploma in this state, including the successful completion of a nontraditional secondary education, and

2) You could also claim Texas residency if your mother remains a Texas resident (satisfying the conditions for Texas residency) AND can claim you as a dependent by the standards of the IRS Revenue Code of 1986. If you apply to medical school as a junior in college, she will definitely be able to claim you as a dependent, just make sure she does it and not your father.

Definition: (5) Dependent--A person who: (B) is eligible to be claimed as a dependent of a parent of the person for purposes of determining the parent’s income tax liability under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

(3) a dependent whose parent:
(A) established domicile in this state not less than 12 months before the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution; and
(B) maintained domicile continuously in the state for the 12 months immediately preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution.

--
WGSgrad