Question about ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramforte

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
My question is about applying for ortho programs after having worked for a couple of years as a general dentist. I was pretty average in dental school, went to UOP , I scored an 85 in part one and I was about in the middle of the class ranking, never thought I wanted to specialize until now. how can I improve my chances , do I have a better shot of getting in now that I've worked for some time. I appreciate some insight from those in the programs or who were in my shoes and got in. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty similar to you. I am applying this cycle and just gonna see what happens. People I'm applying against have P/F boards plus my school didn't rank. Not sure what happens, but you just hope you get an interview so you can sell yourself. Once you get an interview everyone's in the game. My recs are solid and my extracurriculars are very unique, so if I get an interview it's game over. If you believe you deserve that spot and you show them you are an all around good person, you're in. If you don't get in there's tons of ortho ce for the GP.

Learn form the mistakes of the numerous applicants on the 'Ortho-Chances?' thread(s) and follow the wisdom of the applicants on the 'Dermatology-chances?' thread(s):

Apply to as many programs as you possibly can, but avoid the programs that charge ridiculous tuition.

Second: publish a paper or present some kind of research.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can be done and has been done. It seems ortho has traditionally gone the way of accepting applicants right out of school, but I have seen it go the other way, too. Research and published articles definitely helps, but it is still possible even without those things.

My advice is to apply to as many programs as you can, just as Silent Cool said. And ultimately, that will include some of the programs with higher tuitions... you just have to ask yourself, do you really want to be an orthodontist? Then determine at what cost- sure some programs' tuitions are astronomical compared to others, but the bottom line is you will get out and be an orthodontist if that is your goal.

I can offer you advice once I've gone thru this interview process (of I get any) and would be more than happy to share my mistakes and such with you. Right now I have no idea how they will view my experience :/

It's definitely possible to achieve acceptance into an Ortho residency program with sub 90s score. Those candidates got their feet in the door by volunteering in the research labs of Ortho faculty members.