Question about pausing exams on e-mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I want to take only half of a question pack at a time to spread out practice. When I do this, will I be able to pick up from where I stopped when I come back to finish the second half?

Also, will there be a way to see the percentage I got correct without completing the whole thing?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So basically you can answer any questions in the pack. I for example did CARS from official guide so I had to click the next button 90 times (maybe there are faster ways of doing it?) to get to the CARS section. After you are done the program generates a report which allows you to go back and see what you missed. You can do this up to 20 times.

When taking the test you can, at any time, hit the "start break" button and pause the exam. So you can do a couple of passages and break out of the exam and it won't count more than once towards one of your 20 times.

Like another poster wrote, the annoying thing is that there is no way (that I know of) to jump back to a certain question without having to click the next key. So if you left off on question 100 last night then today you would have to sit there and hit the next key and wait for each question to load and hit the next key again and again, until you got to where you left off.

You only really have a couple of options. Either you take it like a test without the solutions on screen or you can take it with the solutions up the whole time. What this means is that if you take it in "test mode" (without the solutions on screen) then you have to finish before seeing the answers. In other words, you can't go and check your answers against a key after each individual passage like you can with a book.

So you won't be able to take a couple of passages and pause to see how you are doing. You will have to finish the test and only then can you see the solutions.

So I want to take only half of a question pack at a time to spread out practice. When I do this, will I be able to pick up from where I stopped when I come back to finish the second half?

Also, will there be a way to see the percentage I got correct without completing the whole thing?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
When taking the test you can, at any time, hit the "start break" button and pause the exam. So you can do a couple of passages and break out of the exam and it won't count more than once towards one of your 20 times.

Like another poster wrote, the annoying thing is that there is no way (that I know of) to jump back to a certain question without having to click the next key. So if you left off on question 100 last night then today you would have to sit there and hit the next key and wait for each question to load and hit the next key again and again, until you got to where you left off.

You only really have a couple of options. Either you take it like a test without the solutions on screen or you can take it with the solutions up the whole time. What this means is that if you take it in "test mode" (without the solutions on screen) then you have to finish before seeing the answers. In other words, you can't go and check your answers against a key after each individual passage like you can with a book.

So you won't be able to take a couple of passages and pause to see how you are doing. You will have to finish the test and only then can you see the solutions.

Womp, that's annoying. Thanks so much for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's right but you can finish the question pack without answering all questions and get the solutions on those as well as everything you didn't answer. You can start a new try and do the other half later on. That's for the question packs, you wouldn't wanna do it with the only AAMC test we have.

Basically you get so many trials, that there isn't anything to worry about: try it for yourself!

120 Questions is ~ 20 passages so you could, not sure why anyone would, do one passage at a time and then review it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That's right but you can finish the question pack without answering all questions and get the solutions on those as well as everything you didn't answer. You can start a new try and do the other half later on. That's for the question packs, you wouldn't wanna do it with the only AAMC test we have.

Basically there are so many tries, you could do one passage at a time and still have enough trials!
That's a good point. I had not thought of that. I keep thinking 120 questions is more than it really is I guess.

Reactions: 1 users

Basically you get so many trials, that there isn't anything to worry about: try it for yourself!

120 Questions is ~ 20 passages so you could, not sure why anyone would, do one passage at a time and then review it.

Okay gotcha, I think this answers my question!