question about podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HailToTheThielf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im skeptical. I dont know much about podiatry. I wanted to go the MD route but my grades aren't that great. I was looking into podiatry and have a couple of questions. 1st, is it hard to get a surgical residency in podiatry? 2nd, how much money do podiatrists make? 3rd, do you think there will be a demand for podiatrists in the future with the boom of people attending podiatry? I suspect that there will be ALOT of competition in the future with the growth of so many graduates practicing. Any info. Thanks alot everyone. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

HailToTheThielf said:
Im skeptical. I dont know much about podiatry. I wanted to go the MD route but my grades aren't that great. I was looking into podiatry and have a couple of questions. 1st, is it hard to get a surgical residency in podiatry? 2nd, how much money do podiatrists make? 3rd, do you think there will be a demand for podiatrists in the future with the boom of people attending podiatry? I suspect that there will be ALOT of competition in the future with the growth of so many graduates practicing. Any info. Thanks alot everyone. Good luck!

If your grades are not competitive enough for med school and you really wish to be a doctor, I would definitely recommend podiatry as a profession. My wife was in a similar position as you are and decided to attend podiatry school.

1) No, it is not hard to get a surgical residency...in general, there are more residency spots available than there are students as of now. THat could change really soon due to the increase in the popularity of podiatry. However, there are going to be the more presitigious residency programs that are just as competitive as some MD residencies i'm sure... Like I heard, Seattle, WestPenn, and the one in Georgia are really competitive and top notch.

2) According to salary.com, the average podiatrist makes over 100,000. I have a friend who's sister only works 2 and a half days per week and gets paid around 70,000. There is a podiatrist that owns like 5 practices and makes millions in Cincinnati, OH. So, they make alot and it really depends on you! Podiatrists have the opportunity to make tons of money if they work hard and then they can make a decent living if they don't work so hard.... I'd say $55k to 70k.

3) I do think that there will be a demand of podiatrists in the future. I believe I saw on the Occupational Handbook from the government that podiatrists will increase in demand faster than many fields. As I understand, Orthopedic surgeons are passing on their patients with foot problems to podiatrists. As soon as more and more research is conducted in the field of podiatry (which is lacking at the moment, I believe), the field will naturally blossom. I talk to many people that say they would rather go to a podiatrist that specializes in feet than to an orthopedic. Also, keep in mind the increasing health disabilities like diabetes in our country. As long as this continues to rise, so will the need for podiatrists!

I'm actually a pre-dental student and so I can't tell you everything about podiatry. I only know what my wife tells me. She is in her 3rd year and she loves her decision to attend podiatry school. Look into dentistry as well. It is not as competitive as Med as of now, but that is changing. Hope this helps!

Great post and good explanation of podiatry.

What school does your wife go to?

I am also a 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that starting in 2006 the numerous types of residencies, such as PSR-12, PSR-24, PPMR, etc...will cease to exist and be replaced by a more uniform type of residency. These are the Podiatric Medicine & Surgery - 2 year program (PM&S-24) and the Podiatric Medicine & Surgery - 3 year program (PM&S - 36). Which ever one, one matches, surgery will definitely be a component. The PM&S - 24, I think will allow one to sit for forefoot Sx boards and the PM&S 36 for forefoot and rearfoot Sx boards.

Perhaps someone can further elaborate on the topic?

krabmas said:
Great post and good explanation of podiatry.

What school does your wife go to?

I am also a 3rd year.

My wife attends OCPM.

box29 said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that starting in 2006 the numerous types of residencies, such as PSR-12, PSR-24, PPMR, etc...will cease to exist and be replaced by a more uniform type of residency. These are the Podiatric Medicine & Surgery - 2 year program (PM&S-24) and the Podiatric Medicine & Surgery - 3 year program (PM&S - 36). Which ever one, one matches, surgery will definitely be a component. The PM&S - 24, I think will allow one to sit for forefoot Sx boards and the PM&S 36 for forefoot and rearfoot Sx boards.

Perhaps someone can further elaborate on the topic?

the phasing out of the PSR -12,24 and PPMR is correct and changing to PMS24 and 36 is correct. After completing either a 24 or 36 PMS you cna sit for the surgical or ortho boards, I have not heard of different boards for forefoot and rearfoot (ignorance I guess).

Even though the residencies are changing to be more uniform it will still be competitive to gat a 36. And some hospitals and programs are just known to be better than others.

diabeticfootdr said:
krabmas said:
not heard of different boards for forefoot and rearfoot to [\QUOTE]

There are 2 different boards for the American Board of Podiatric Surgery.

Foot Surgery

Rearfoot, reconstructive ankle (RRA)

So then does it depend on the residency (24 or 36) for which board you sit for?

krabmas said:
diabeticfootdr said:
So then does it depend on the residency (24 or 36) for which board you sit for?

Yes. PM&S-24 residency grads will only be allowed to sit for the ABPS Foot Surgery Board Exam (forefoot only) and PM&S-36 residency grads will be allowed to sit for both ABPS Foot Surgery and ABPS Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery Board Exam. Graduates of the PM&S program will also be allowed to sit for the ABPOPPM exam, as mentioned in previous posts.

For the residency grads of the older residency models, residents from PSR-12 can only sit for ABPS Foot Surgery and PSR-24 / 24+ (includes the 3 and 4 years programs) can sit for both ABPS Foot Surgery and ABPS Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery Exams.

As of 2006, only residents from PSR-24 / 24+ or PM&S-36 may sit for the ABPS Reconstructive Rearfoot Exam. In the past, ABPS has allowed people who has done two PSR-12 residency program and can document that they have adequate rearfoot training to sit for the ABPS Reconstructive Rearfoot Exam. However, the last test date that ABPS will allow people in the latter category to take the rearfoot boards was the 2005 exam dates.

HailToTheThielf said:

What about DO schools? Many DO schools have lower entrance requirements than MD schools. Have you looked into osteopathic medical schools? What's your ultimate goal and what areas of practice are you interested in? I would guess a DO would give you more opportunities than a DPM, but if you're interested in podiatric surgery, there are plenty of options for you.

ProZackMI said:
What about DO schools? Many DO schools have lower entrance requirements than MD schools. Have you looked into osteopathic medical schools? What's your ultimate goal and what areas of practice are you interested in? I would guess a DO would give you more opportunities than a DPM, but if you're interested in podiatric surgery, there are plenty of options for you.

I agree with ProZack. DO schools are much easier to get into as opposed to allopathic, if you dont mind the osteopathic manipulative medicine. If you originally wanted to attend allopathic school than DO would be the best route to go because you can still go into any specialty. Podiatry is a great field and there is a lot of opportunity but because it is a sub-specialty, you're scope is limited. Make sure its what you want to do before you commit. Go shadow some DOs and DPMs. Thats the best way to get your information.

I really don't mean to come off harsh or anything, but please, please don't enter podiatry if your grades are terrible!!! I'm begging you! The problem with some students is they feel that podiatry is the "next-best-option" profession. It is not! Many podiatrists are students that scored highly on their MCATs and graduated from top schools w/a great g.p.a.s We chose the profession because of the assistance we can give to our communities and the flexible work hours. The sub-par applicants to podiatry, IF they get in, are mostly the ones that botch surgeries and give the profession a bad name. Oh and let me say that some may THINK it's easy to get in and they might end up some how slipping thru the cracks, but it is NOT easy to STAY in! Trust me, when the shocking reality of Lower Anatomy kicks in during your 1st year, you'll notice your 2nd year class will apear...smaller :rolleyes: *okay, I'm getting off my soap box now*

As far as your other questions: Surgical Residencies are alreadly competitive, especially for the top ones like Tucker and Presby; and the competition is probably going to increase, but keep in mind that there are more residencies available than there are students...for now anyway. Podiatrists do make good money and I think the average is above 110K (it increases depending on surgical training), and there will be a demand for podiatrists in the future, especially w/the baby boomer generation. Good luck to you and remember to pick the profession that is in your heart, not the one that you THINK is easier to get into :D