Question about prerequisites and timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamack42

adamack42
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

Just a quick question. Hope you can help. I am an older student applying to the class entering in 2005. By the end of this summer, I will have taken the MCAT (August) and completed all prerequisites EXCEPT the second half of physics. I will take that in the fall.

The question: Will schools have a problem with this? Will they accept me pending that last grade in December? Or, will they just throw my application in the "incomplete" pile, never to be seen again?

I would love your opinions/experience on this subject.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that you can get accepted without completing your prerequisites, though of course you will have to do so before matriculating. I just finished up one of my prereqs this spring semester and I am starting school in the fall! It actually ended up being a somewhat of a good thing because the new grade gave me something to send in as an update after I was put on a waiting list.

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you complete all of the med school requirements before you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, it's fine to complete your prereqs during the application process. most schools just want you to have them finished by the time you matriculate (so you could take them as late as summer session the year you start). a few want them finished by january (fall semester is latest you could take them). i took both semesters of physics this year, while i was applying, and i was accepted in the early fall.

not having physics 2 under your belt will make the mcat harder. i took the mcat without having taken any physics in college, and it was frickin tough. be prepared to study your ass off. it can be done though. the PS ended up being my highest scoring mcat section.

good luck.

ps - the good news is that all that studying of the physics 2 material for the mcat will make the actual course a breeze!

adamack42 said:
Hi, everyone.

Just a quick question. Hope you can help. I am an older student applying to the class entering in 2005. By the end of this summer, I will have taken the MCAT (August) and completed all prerequisites EXCEPT the second half of physics. I will take that in the fall.

The question: Will schools have a problem with this? Will they accept me pending that last grade in December? Or, will they just throw my application in the "incomplete" pile, never to be seen again?

I would love your opinions/experience on this subject.

Thanks.
The prereqs have to be completed by the time you matriculate. The only problem that may arise is if you completed some of your prereqs too long ago. Check with the schools to see whether you are required to re-take some because they may have "expired". I met a student who re-took all his prereqs last year for this reason. I don't know when he initally got his undergrad degree (he looks pretty young but looks can be deceiving) but he said that they wouldn't be accepted by schools since he took them too long ago. Good luck.
:)