Question about programs in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BONDFAN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question for the board in regards to urology residencies in Chicago. How would you rank all of the programs in the city in regards to competitiveness in regards to securing a residency? I would assume that Rush and Northwestern would have the highest standards but I actually have no clue. Any other input on the programs would be appreciated (department attitudes, resident happiness, hours, etc.). Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

you should check out urologymatch.com and peruse old threads as there are tons of them regarding the chicago programs. From what I gathered throughout my application cycle, Northwestern and Loyola seem to be among the most highly regarded programs in Chi-town. I did an away rotation at Loyola and really enjoyed it there... I'd be happy to share thoughts regarding my experience there or going the uro application process...just send me a PM

I interviewed at Rush and thought it was an excellent program. As far as competitiveness goes, any urology program is competitive. The better question is what kind of program fits you. Rush takes only 1 resident each year, and they only cover 1 hospital (after intern year). I did a rotation at a program with only 1 resident per year and it definitely has a different feel than larger programs. I ultimately decided that even though I liked that, I preferred to be able to commiserate with someone else my own level when times get rough. I also ended up matching at a place that covers more than 5 hospitals which is going to mean a more driving and will spread us pretty thin and is another thing to consider when choosing programs.