Question about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boomchic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a public health major and the research opportunities that interest me are in that field (obesity rates, veteran's health, etc.)

Now with medical schools is research, research? Should I be more focused towards the biology department? It seems that my biology department just does research on scorpions and frogs, so I would think public health would make more sense.

I know I should do what I enjoy, but if I should cater my experience to make myself more competitive I'm willing as well.

GPA / MCAT willing I was aiming for MD school if that impacts research choices at all.
I would think DO would be more interested in public health students compared to MD schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Research is research and the key thing to demonstrate is familiarity with the scientific process. It can be researching the effect of oncogenes on metalloproteinase production and metastases, or differences in clams off of Matagorda Island.

Reactions: 1 user
Research is research... it's mindless busywork for the vast majority of people. You do the grunt work. Unless you really get involved in a quality team that teaches you the ins and outs ... which is a rare thing. The goal is to have research on your resume and there are really 2 things that are most important. Firstly you want to do research in the field you want to go in. Secondly you want your name on the published paper. When med schools look at your app they aren't really looking or interested in your role in the research. You could tell them your role was anything for all they know... They want to know do you have research (yes/no) and are you published (yes/no). Same thing goes for residency.

Obviously there are some exceptions where people are part of amazing research but that is the 1% that often has some kind of connection.