Question about research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctry23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm getting the chance to do research over the next semester and during the summer (paid) at my college, but I have 2 options for the semester - Doing it for .5 credit (2 credit hours) or for volunteer. I personally want to volunteer bc I already have enough credits, etc, but I also want to choose the option that looks better to medical schools. I am not sure what exactly is preferred since I wouldn't be getting paid either way, but it's not that much more work to do it for credit (just an extra paper, so it would probably be more involvement than volunteering it seems?)
Does anyone else know what looks better?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't really matter at all. Might as well get credit (boost GPA?).

Reactions: 1 user
Med schools do not really care either way whether you did it as a volunteer or for credit. What they look at is what was accomplished while you were in lab, as well as what you might have personally gotten out of the experience. Also, I would say 2 semesters of research is on the lower side of things. Depending on the type of research you’ll be doing (i.e. basic science vs clinical, etc.), you want to stay in a lab long enough for you to actually figure out what you’re doing and contribute a significant amount to your own or your PI’s project. Use your best judgement and talk with your PI about what’s realistic for you to accomplish in your time there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools do not really care either way whether you did it as a volunteer or for credit. What they look at is what was accomplished while you were in lab, as well as what you might have personally gotten out of the experience. Also, I would say 2 semesters of research is on the lower side of things. Depending on the type of research you’ll be doing (i.e. basic science vs clinical, etc.), you want to stay in a lab long enough for you to actually figure out what you’re doing and contribute a significant amount to your own or your PI’s project. Use your best judgement and talk with your PI about what’s realistic for you to accomplish in your time there.

Why is it on the lower side of things, if I'm not particularly interested in doing a lot of research or applying to top research heavy schools?

Why is it on the lower side of things, if I'm not particularly interested in doing a lot of research or applying to top research heavy schools?
That’s a good question. I was going to address that in my initial response but decided not to, so I’ll do that now!

Two semesters is on the low end, but if you don’t want to do a lot of research or apply to those schools, then being on the low end is ok! It’s all relative anyways. Go for 2 semesters, or however long it interests you.