Question about residency work hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes but the more shifts there are, the more handoffs are required, and this too has risk for error.

Yeah, we've all heard this excuse a thousand times. If you are so bad at communication that you can't present a patient in a coherent manner, maybe you chose the wrong line of work.

Plenty of hospital systems do 8-12 hour shifts with handoffs without any difficulty. It's not exactly rocket science. It's really only in academia where you see these absurd 24+ hour shifts.

1. As long as you don't mind getting paid 1/3 of what you would have otherwise.

1. I'm not recommending cutting hours by 1/3. A reasonable work week should be between 40 and 60 hours like the rest of the workforce. That's a 1/4-1/2 reduction. And pay shouldn't have to be cut drastically. We're not paid hourly, and I would bet that well rested doctors are more efficient and more cost effective workers.

There is no evidence that decreased work hours (at least the 2003 30/80 rule) have improved outcomes.

Yeah. Because 80 freaking hours a week is still entirely too many. Make the max 14/60 for 4 years and then measure outcomes. I guarantee you'd see a dramatic improvement.

Look, this is not about being lazy. Look at the research. Performance declines with extended hours, and with sleep deprivation. Period. It's dangerous and it needs to be fixed. One day, we will look back on this practice in the same way that we look back in amazement at the doctors smoking in the ICU. If you're practicing medicine on a patient near the end of your 3rd 16 hour shift in a row, you might as well be drunk.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, we've all heard this excuse a thousand times. If you are so bad at communication that you can't present a patient in a coherent manner, maybe you chose the wrong line of work.

Plenty of hospital systems do 8-12 hour shifts with handoffs without any difficulty. It's not exactly rocket science. It's really only in academia where you see these absurd 24+ hour shifts.

I'm not recommending cutting hours by 1/3. A reasonable work week should be between 40 and 60 hours like the rest of the workforce. That's a 1/4-1/2 reduction. And pay shouldn't have to be cut drastically. We're not paid hourly, and I would bet that well rested doctors are more efficient and more cost effective workers.

Yeah. Because 80 freaking hours a week is still entirely too many. Make the max 14/60 for 4 years and then measure outcomes. I guarantee you'd see a dramatic improvement.

Look, this is not about being lazy. Look at the research. Performance declines with extended hours, and with sleep deprivation. Period. It's dangerous and it needs to be fixed. One day, we will look back on this practice in the same way that we look back in amazement at the doctors smoking in the ICU. If you're practicing medicine on a patient near the end of your 3rd 16 hour shift in a row, you might as well be drunk.

Your level of arrogance is exactly what leads to these errors. And I don't take career advice from med students, thanks.

Your level of arrogance is exactly what leads to these errors. And I don't take career advice from med students, thanks.

I'm not being arrogant, and I'm not trying to start a flame war. I just wanted to have a civilized discussion of the problem. The data, across many different fields of human experience backs me up: Humans perform worse after long-periods of work and/or with sleep deprivation.

I'm not trying to give anyone "career advice" :)confused:) and I'm definitely not saying that "my way" is the only way to fix the problem. But our system is broken, and something needs to be done to correct it. I'm just offering some alternatives. I'd be happy to hear your (or anyone's) suggestions.

That being said, you might be wise to listen to medical students. I have worked in ~20 different hospital systems over the last 2 years (DO student, I travel a lot), both academic and community settings, and I've seen what works and what doesn't. I also have extensive, pre-med school experience in business management, HR, scheduling, etc, as well as personal experience with a nocturnal lifestyle (and it's ill health effects), and extended periods of sleep deprivation. So, I know a little bit about these things. I will, of course, defer to your vast and amazing medical knowledge base, especially in your field, but I may very well be older and have more "real world" experience than you. Maybe not. Darn internet. :D

Handoffs, when done properly, can work extremely well. A well rested, happy staff also works wonders for the quality of patient care and general morale. The best hospitals I've worked in have had < 12 hour shifts universally throughout their health system, and have very low mortality rates, and generally good health outcomes.

Again, I'm sure there are many solutions, and I don't have all the answers (or even ANY answers), but denying the problem isn't going to make it go away.

I'm not being arrogant, and I'm not trying to start a flame war. I just wanted to have a civilized discussion of the problem. The data, across many different fields of human experience backs me up: Humans perform worse after long-periods of work and/or with sleep deprivation.

I'm not trying to give anyone "career advice" :)confused:) and I'm definitely not saying that "my way" is the only way to fix the problem. But our system is broken, and something needs to be done to correct it. I'm just offering some alternatives. I'd be happy to hear your (or anyone's) suggestions.

That being said, you might be wise to listen to medical students. I have worked in ~20 different hospital systems over the last 2 years (DO student, I travel a lot), both academic and community settings, and I've seen what works and what doesn't. I also have extensive, pre-med school experience in business management, HR, scheduling, etc, as well as personal experience with a nocturnal lifestyle (and it's ill health effects), and extended periods of sleep deprivation. So, I know a little bit about these things. I will, of course, defer to your vast and amazing medical knowledge base, especially in your field, but I may very well be older and have more "real world" experience than you. Maybe not. Darn internet. :D

Handoffs, when done properly, can work extremely well. A well rested, happy staff also works wonders for the quality of patient care and general morale. The best hospitals I've worked in have had < 12 hour shifts universally throughout their health system, and have very low mortality rates, and generally good health outcomes.

Again, I'm sure there are many solutions, and I don't have all the answers (or even ANY answers), but denying the problem isn't going to make it go away.

Fair enough. Let me give you my perspective on the risks of handoffs.

I routinely respond to codes and pre-codes (rapid response team) on the nursing floors. Especially at night, when I ask the primary team caring for the patient for their history, I'm answered with the rapid shuffling of papers (because no one personally knows the patient.) I don't expect everyone to know what the pt's chloride was 3 days ago, but it would be nice if someone could tell me the basic reason for the admission, and what the big picture, major co-morbidities are. In critical situations, having someone who actually knows the patient, and is not just reading off their signout sheet, is crucial.

There are certainly risks with keeping people up 24-30 hours and that has to be weighed against the risks of handoffs. I just don't think more shifts always = better.

You are being naive, or as a student are pretending to know what works as a resident. You are right only in that you don't have all the answers. No hospital can boast an error free handoff. None. Zero. Nada. Not even the supposedly great nonacademic places you are trying to reference. Anyone who has ever been involved in a handoff can tell you the information is always incomplete and inevitably something will slip through the cracks eventually. You will never know everything I did, thought about tried, rejected over the course of my shift, and if you did I would have spent an extraordinarily long time documenting and relaying that info in a night where I have more pressing things to do. There are certainly better and worse method, but having been on a number of services with very different sign out materials and documentation, I can tell you none are great and each has it's own sources of error. But as a student you simply don't appreciate waking up on you post call day and thinking, "Oh crap, did I remember to mention X, Y and Z?" You probably just saw one resident hand off to another in a way that seemed seamless, and have no clue of the error incidence.

Studies have been done since the change of duty hours demonstrating that errors did not go down with physician hours. Why? Presumably because additional errors crept into the system, and the most likely culprit anyone with familiarity with the system can point to is the increased errors at additional handoffs. Your comment about the best hospitals having " low mortality rates and generally good outcomes" misses the point. In all of these cases, whether we are talking sleep related errors or handoff related errors, the rate of error is excessively low. Outcomes are very good in even the most error prone of places. We are talking about very low rate incidences. Doctors are not a huge danger to patients whether tired or not -- the issues stem from exceedingly rare instances. So Why care? Because the one Libby Zion type case every couple of years is bad press and could bankrupt your organization. So the goal is to reduce what already is a very low error rate.

And if there is going to be improvement, it really must come from residents the people who actually know what's practical or not; med students are understandably clueless on this. You are there to learn, and must bear in mind that a lot of things that you think could be done better isn't done because it is too cumbersome. You have much more free time as a med student, with very few patients, no cross coverage, and you seldom appreciate the actual time crunch a resident is under on call -- knowing that everyone has to be tucked away before the sundowning begins. you are never really responsible for patients, never carry more than a couple, so your perspective is nearly irrelevant. Until you are responsible as a resident for multiple pagers of forty patients, and the need to hand them off error free to another resident, and in doing this only spend minutes doing so because you have to get out of there (both because you are required and because you are cranky and tired), you won't get it. This is a perfect example of where you need to walk the walk first.

Last edited:
the errors from hand-offs isn't from mis-communication, it's because of disjointed patient care. I trained in a system where we moved away from the overnight call system some years ago and I can tell you in many ways it makes things worse. I am not a fan of working 30 hours straight either however. The more handovers there are, the less well you know the patients - if you are following up the same patient over a longer period of time you are more likely to spot if they are going to code etc. There is also a certain pride in seeing your admission through and not having it handed over to someone else. The less well you know the patients, the more intense the work becomes. One of things that has happened since having more of a 'shift' system is that we feel more tired. It's exhausting. In addition, because the nurses know if we're on at night and not during the day they won't let us sleep, in fact in some places we're not allowed to sleep. In addition, the number of doctors around after hours is fewer because of the european work hour restrictions, so again more work.

Going back to the Zion case, the problem wasn't simply ridiculous working hours - it was just an easy target - the problem was an unmanageable workload and lack of supervision. We need more physicians especially if we are working to a system where we will be working fewer hours.

Fair enough. Let me give you my perspective on the risks of handoffs.

I routinely respond to codes and pre-codes (rapid response team) on the nursing floors. Especially at night, when I ask the primary team caring for the patient for their history, I'm answered with the rapid shuffling of papers (because no one personally knows the patient.) I don't expect everyone to know what the pt's chloride was 3 days ago, but it would be nice if someone could tell me the basic reason for the admission, and what the big picture, major co-morbidities are. In critical situations, having someone who actually knows the patient, and is not just reading off their signout sheet, is crucial.

There are certainly risks with keeping people up 24-30 hours and that has to be weighed against the risks of handoffs. I just don't think more shifts always = better.

Totally agree, and I've seen the exact situation you describe in many places. I just think that signals more of a problem with how the handoffs are being done than with the handoffs themselves.

The best system I've seen was where the doctors' and nurses shift changes were staggered, so there was always someone who had been with the patient for many hours. If there was a new doc on the floor, there was an old nurse, and vice versa. This, combined with an organized record system, the best sign out sheets I've ever seen (everyone used the same one, it was updated in real time, and included EVERYTHING pertinent to the patient), and good communication made them rule the world. That was how handoffs should be done. The sign out "sheets" (it was really a computer document) were so good that there was almost no need to talk to a human. You could get almost anything you needed from them. Any team member would just enter anything pertinent that transpired with the patient on the sheet, and everyone would know what was going on. It was awesome. Hard to describe, but awesome...and uber-effective.

I agree that more shifts isn't always better. It's just that we need to find the right balance, and I don't think we're there yet. A good, universal EMR (and I don't mean Epic...I mean something that doesn't exist yet) would help a LOT, but that's another discussion.

Patient safety is also only one part of this discussion. Even if we put the apparently hot-button patient safety issue aside, you still have the negative health effects on medical professionals. We need to treat our bodies better.

Anyways, I don't think we're going to fix it here, lol. Good luck, I've gotta go to work!

Totally agree, and I've seen the exact situation you describe in many places. I just think that signals more of a problem with how the handoffs are being done than with the handoffs themselves.

The best system I've seen was where the doctors' and nurses shift changes were staggered, so there was always someone who had been with the patient for many hours. If there was a new doc on the floor, there was an old nurse, and vice versa. This, combined with an organized record system, the best sign out sheets I've ever seen (everyone used the same one, it was updated in real time, and included EVERYTHING pertinent to the patient), and good communication made them rule the world. That was how handoffs should be done. The sign out "sheets" (it was really a computer document) were so good that there was almost no need to talk to a human. You could get almost anything you needed from them. Any team member would just enter anything pertinent that transpired with the patient on the sheet, and everyone would know what was going on. It was awesome. Hard to describe, but awesome...and uber-effective.

I agree that more shifts isn't always better. It's just that we need to find the right balance, and I don't think we're there yet. A good, universal EMR (and I don't mean Epic...I mean something that doesn't exist yet) would help a LOT, but that's another discussion.

Patient safety is also only one part of this discussion. Even if we put the apparently hot-button patient safety issue aside, you still have the negative health effects on medical professionals. We need to treat our bodies better.

Anyways, I don't think we're going to fix it here, lol. Good luck, I've gotta go to work!

doctors and nurses have extremely different roles and thought processes when it comes to patient care. It doesn't really solve the sign out issues for me to have a nurse who knows the patient. For me the question is what the prior resident did, decided against, tried, was worried about, and the overall plan of care the medical team had. The nurse wont be privy to what the attending wanted, what the CT showed, etc. It's by necessity going to be a doctor to doctor handoff, and very little anyone else knows is of much use. She (nurse) will know if the patient is nauseous, febrile, anxious or bleeding or is allowed to have ice chips. You will learn that while good nurses can be very helpful, and you solicit their help a lot as an intern, they aren't going to be a valuable bridge of information between doctors. I also would suggest that these days there are tons of shift work nurses at hospitals overnight that pick up shifts and neither know the doctors, other nurses or patients, and so most of the time they are expecting you to know the patient plan, not the other way round.

At any rate the fact that staggering doctors and nurses makes sense to you as a med student suggests you might want to revisit the issue as a resident and see if you still think you knew what you were talking about.

At any rate the fact that staggering doctors and nurses makes sense to you as a med student suggests you might want to revisit the issue as a resident and see if you still think you knew what you were talking about.

:thumbup:

Additionally, the issue isn't knowing the patient for an entirety of a shift (i.e. staggering a nurse who has been with the patient for nearly an entire shift with a resident who is just starting a shift)...it's knowing them for the entirety of their hospital course.

The concept that doctors should be treating patients when sleep deprived or fatigued is ludicrous. It's dangerous, plain and simple.

There are many industries that require 24h shift coverage, yet almost none of them require one person to cover all 24 hours.

As more patients hear about this, lawsuits for mistakes made while on a long shift will skyrocket. We must stop it to protect ourselves. This is a liability and risk management issue.

We have 24h to cover. Why not three 8h shifts with an hour overlap each, making it really a 9h shift.

8a-5p
4p-1a
12a-8a

You stay on each shift for at least one month, or permanently if you prefer evening or night shifts. Done.

Be Safe. Stay Healthy.
Really? Even though in the past decade, the hours restrictions have gotten much more stringent? Lawyers had no idea that surgery residents were working 100 hours/week?

Ah, good insight from the medical students here. You're often cross-covering 40+ patients, and a coherent sign-out could easily take 1-2 minutes per patient. You're really going to do that for an hour a day?

You're wrong. Very, very few surgical specialties - or anything other than hospitalists, intensivists and EM docs - hand off all of their patients at 8 or 12 hour intervals.

I'm not recommending cutting hours by 1/3. A reasonable work week should be between 40 and 60 hours like the rest of the workforce. That's a 1/4-1/2 reduction. And pay shouldn't have to be cut drastically. We're not paid hourly, and I would bet that well rested doctors are more efficient and more cost effective workers.
Then get ready for an 8 year surgical residency, which still doesn't include the 3 year fellowship. I would also bet against you that well-rested doctors are more cost-effective.

Yeah. Because 80 freaking hours a week is still entirely too many. Make the max 14/60 for 4 years and then measure outcomes. I guarantee you'd see a dramatic improvement
You're basing this claim on no evidence at all.

You'll note that no resident who has worked three 16 hour shifts in a row would agree with you. This is such ignorance and arrogance that I can hardly believe it. Med students really don't know what it's like to be fully invested in your patient's care. Last night, I had a trauma come in at 6pm and keep me fully engaged until 1am, at which point I'd been awake for 19 hours. It was not even remotely like being drunk.

I'm sorry. I forgot that I, as a lowly med student, know nothing about anything. I'm sure I'll see the error of my ways by this time next year. I'm also sure that an entire body of research on endurance and performance is wrong. I'll be sure to check in next year and let you know.

I'm sorry. I forgot that I, as a lowly med student, know nothing about anything. I'm sure I'll see the error of my ways by this time next year. I'm also sure that an entire body of research on endurance and performance is wrong. I'll be sure to check in next year and let you know.

Yes an entire body of research is wrong if it flies in the face of better evidence of a profession that has been running a very real version of their "experiment" with opposite evidence for several generations.

Seriously you will have more and better perspective once you walk the walk, rather than spouting off without any experience.

Yes an entire body of research is wrong if it flies in the face of better evidence of a profession that has been running a very real version of their "experiment" with opposite evidence for several generations.

Seriously you will have more and better perspective once you walk the walk, rather than spouting off without any experience.

I agree, and I said as much (seriously) in my above post.

That being said, how do any of you know what experience I have. I'll remind you all that there are no work hour rules for medical students, and not all schools/hospitals treat their med students as scut monkeys. It would be wise not to speak to someone's supposed lack of clinical experience, when you don't know what that experience actually is.

Is anyone debating the fact that long and nocturnal work hours have negative effects on a person's health? That research is also well documented in the medical literature.

To get you started, here is a Google Scholar search for sleep errors doctors: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...tors&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0,47&as_ylo=&as_vis=1

Here's a search for sleep health: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=sleep+health&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0,47&as_ylo=&as_vis=1

Both of these quick and easy searches reveal that numerous authorities agree with me, including the Joint Commission, the BMJ, and the Lancet. I particularly liked this study out of Denmark (although it's too small). Not trying to pick on surgeons...if there's anyone who can make a case for the crazy hours, it should be them, due to the number of repetitions required to learn a task with a high degree of precision.

http://www.bmj.com/content/323/7323/1222.1.short

Surgeons show impaired speed and accuracy in simulated laparoscopic performance after a night on call in a surgical department. Our results are consistent with the findings of Taffinder et al.4

Previous studies have shown that effects of sleep deprivation on cognitive performance do not become consistently apparent until after 36–40 hours of total lack of sleep.5 Our results show that significant deficits in psychomotor performance occur after 17 hours on call with disturbed night sleep. Factors connected with surgical work, such as emergency workload, stress, and emotional demands, may potentiate the effects of sleep deprivation alone.

I would also ask if the work hour rules may be able to be different for different specialties or different units? I agree that an ICU may benefit from doctors who know the patients very well and practically live there. The same would not be said of, say, the ED...where most of your patients come and go over the course of a shift.

Finally, many residency programs, across a variety of fields work their residents with reasonable schedules. Are these programs inferior? They have somehow made it work...

Change is never easy...

I don't know why all the residents are getting up and arm about this issue. It is a researched fact that sleep deprivation is harmful not only for the people who are deprived of sleep but mistakes are definitely made. Not everyday you are on call for 30 hours you gonna have some trauma case come in where you are going to be overtaken by adrenaline to keep you going. Not only is that constant rush of adrenaline bad for your health, when you don't have it then what do you do? make mistakes? Are you residents really arguing that you guys don't make more mistakes towards the end of your 30 hours shift? How can that be?
In my previous casino dealer job, when 3am came around, I started to make so many mistakes that it became ridiculous and its lucky that I drove back home safe for those two months. I also met numerous number of dealers who worked graveyard shift that ended up doing speed to keep themselves awake.
I understand that Docs are there for the patients and they are suppose to keep their interests above the patients, but how is a tired doctor any useful to the patients or to themself?

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to this party.

1. I don't think that there's any question that long overnight shifts degrade performace. That's been proven in all lines of work and complex tasks. Exactly how long is too long remains somewhat unclear.

2. I disagree somewhat with L2D's statement that "errors did not go down after DH rules changed". What didn't change were hard outcomes -- death. Whether errors changed or not is unclear, since we don't really measure those in any coherent fashion. The one RCT looking at this (in the NEJM) demonstrated a marked reduction in errors with the removal of overnight call for interns. But, there is no guarantee that this will actually make the system better -- it's possible that new handoff errors have been added, or that most of the intern errors were picked up by others and fixed, or that in the NEJM trial that residents (who did have 24 hour call) actually took over care for the interns -- hence the interns were less involved in the patient's care, and less errors were made.

3. The maximum shift that anyone can work repeatedly in the hospital is 14 hours. You must have a 10 hour break. A 16 hour shift is OK every 3rd or 4th day only.

4. A shift based system is inherently 20-25% less "efficient" than a call based system. This means that when you switch to shifts from call, either 20% of patients need to be covered by a different system, or you need 20% more people to cover the work. Since residency programs can't simply hire more people, usually this means that people on tranditionally less busy rotations (i.e. electives) need to cover shifts on the busier rotations.

5. 8 hour shifts sound like a great idea, until you remember that you're supposed to be getting educated while a resident. It becomes very difficult to create teaching rounds when there are threee 8 hour shifts -- not impossible, as you could have something at the beginning and end of the "day" shift, but not easy to create teaching rounds at 5PM.

6. One of the arguments often lost in this discussion is the experience of the patient. When I go to Vegas (not often), it doesn't matter whom is the dealer and how many times they switch. Each hand stands on it's own, and it doesn't really matter what happened an hour ago. In the hospital, patients don't want to be seen by a parade of doctors. My only personal experience with this was the birth of my children and although they both were born without complications, it was a mess. I had 7+ OB's involved with each of them because of shift changes, and each made decisions that seemed crazy / counterproductive to what the last did. No one seemed to have the big picture.

7. The other problem with shifts is shift change. If you have one shift go 8A - 5P and another 4P - 12 Midnight, what happens with the patient who needs to be admitted at 3:30PM? You could have the day person do it, but then they would be unlikely to finish the admission by 5. Or, you could let the patient sit until the evening person gets the whole signout done, but then you're falling behind (and the admissions are piling up). What we've discovered is that we need an extra admitting shift overlapped on our rotating shifts (i.e. a person working 4P - Midnight just doing admissions). This makes the evening work better, but does increase handoffs (which can be a problem) and is even less "efficient" as far as number of people needed.

Agree with aprogramdirector. There are multiple issues here other than the fatigue issue --> medical errors. Of course people perform and think more poorly when they have been up 24-30 hours. It has been proven. And yes it is unhealthy to be chronically sleep deprived. However, 8 hours/day x 3 shifts per day would not be a workable solution in teaching hospitals, for the reasons mentioned above. Also, would need a LOT more residents (or lots of NP's and PA's helping) to do this, and I don't see the money forthcoming to do this. It appears that the 80hr work week and forcing average of 1/7 days off has diminished the worst of the work hours abuses, and residents seem less tired overall. However, when they started this thing with interns not being able to work more than 12-14 hours ever, I have noticed that while they are less tired (which is a good thing for their personal health and sanity) the interns don't know the patients on their lists very well. I think it is because they'll have a list of patients, but in general they personally only admitted a few of those patients...others were admitted by the resident (who now tends to become more of a "resitern" doing lots of admission himself/herself while supervising an intern who also does a few admissions) or some other intern. Also, by limiting the work hours there tend to be fewer people there at night to do the work, in some cases, and you do end up with people who just have a pile of signout papers and don't really know what the patients' reasons for admissions are, or which ones are likely to get sick/crash (and if they do crash, why they are crashing...). We tend to end up with interns who are happier and less tired than in past years, but it's taking them several months longer to reach the same place on the learning curve. Residents are having to do more of what used to be "intern work", and fellows are having to do stuff that residents used to do (in some cases). And attendings are having to do stuff that we (the fellows) perhaps used to do. I don't think this is all bad, but the signouts issue is certainly a big one, and you can't just fix it all by having some perfect signout sheet...

3. The maximum shift that anyone can work repeatedly in the hospital is 14 hours. You must have a 10 hour break. A 16 hour shift is OK every 3rd or 4th day only.

Just for clarity, the 16 hour limit is only for interns, not "anyone". The real number after that is 24+4. I agree most night floats on paper are 13+ hours a night up to 6 nights in a row (13 x 6 is 78 hours).. But even at programs which are careful about staying within the rule (which isn't everyone), Murphys law dictates that things can happen during sign out that will prolong your stay. Eg. patients are going to code during sign out when you are trying to leave, so there will be nights where 13 becomes 15. Or the person coming to relieve you gets in a traffic accident. Or weather prevents the next shift from showing up at all, and it takes the chief a few hours to find someone who can come in. My point is there will be cases where you will be up working past your stated hours even under the best intentioned of systems.

Agree with aprogramdirector. There are multiple issues here other than the fatigue issue --> medical errors. Of course people perform and think more poorly when they have been up 24-30 hours. It has been proven. And yes it is unhealthy to be chronically sleep deprived. However, 8 hours/day x 3 shifts per day would not be a workable solution in teaching hospitals, for the reasons mentioned above. Also, would need a LOT more residents (or lots of NP's and PA's helping) to do this, and I don't see the money forthcoming to do this. It appears that the 80hr work week and forcing average of 1/7 days off has diminished the worst of the work hours abuses, and residents seem less tired overall. However, when they started this thing with interns not being able to work more than 12-14 hours ever, I have noticed that while they are less tired (which is a good thing for their personal health and sanity) the interns don't know the patients on their lists very well. I think it is because they'll have a list of patients, but in general they personally only admitted a few of those patients...others were admitted by the resident (who now tends to become more of a "resitern" doing lots of admission himself/herself while supervising an intern who also does a few admissions) or some other intern. Also, by limiting the work hours there tend to be fewer people there at night to do the work, in some cases, and you do end up with people who just have a pile of signout papers and don't really know what the patients' reasons for admissions are, or which ones are likely to get sick/crash (and if they do crash, why they are crashing...). We tend to end up with interns who are happier and less tired than in past years, but it's taking them several months longer to reach the same place on the learning curve. Residents are having to do more of what used to be "intern work", and fellows are having to do stuff that residents used to do (in some cases). And attendings are having to do stuff that we (the fellows) perhaps used to do. I don't think this is all bad, but the signouts issue is certainly a big one, and you can't just fix it all by having some perfect signout sheet...

Totally agree. Also on the "sign out sheet" thing, I would add that you aren't going to have time to read much when you are carrying a pager for 40 patients. You really are going to in most cases be working from the snippet of info the prior person told you. So if they know the patient less well, then your information is much less detailed. It's a lot like the children's game of telephone -- the more people you add into the chain, the less pristine the message at the other end.

... Are you residents really arguing that you guys don't make more mistakes towards the end of your 30 hours shift? How can that be?...?

In my experience at the end of a 30 hour shift you are aware you are tired, and thus far more likely to be double checking things, and plus you know the patients on your service the best you will know them, since you've been keeping them alive all night. Both of those things can often make you less dangerous than when you first show up.

That being said, how do any of you know what experience I have. I'll remind you all that there are no work hour rules for medical students, and not all schools/hospitals treat their med students as scut monkeys. It would be wise not to speak to someone's supposed lack of clinical experience, when you don't know what that experience actually is.

Finally, many residency programs, across a variety of fields work their residents with reasonable schedules. Are these programs inferior? They have somehow made it work...

Change is never easy...

Dude, I get that you have done long hours as a med student. A lot of us did. Still doesn't give you the perspective of a resident. You weren't ultimately responsible for the patients, and didn't carry that many. doesn't matter that you were "there" without duty hour rules, it still doesn't give you the same experience.

And no we aren't saying fields with lighter schedules are "inferior", it means they are serving a very different role. it would be *****ic to say that the hours worked in a field with a low census and basically stable healthy patients should be extrapolated to a high census, not so stable population, or that a surgery resident can get away with the schedule of a pathology resident, etc. In general, however, between the surgical, medical, and prelim year specialties, you can more or less lump a very large percentage of interns into the same boat. (Plus fields like ED and FM often make their interns rotate through things like medicine/surgery to get this experience.)

I think a lot of us who are residents and who lived through the 30 hour rule and current see overwhelmingly negative effects of the change. Nobody likes to stay up for long stretches, but it's only in those overnight shifts where you are relatively unsupervised and bearing responsibility for many patients that you learn how to be a doctor. the interns have the most to learn in this respect, yet now spend the least amount if time in the hospital. It's very hard to defend this system. Which is pretty much why the med students and premeds aren't finding many allies on this thread.

In my experience at the end of a 30 hour shift you are aware you are tired, and thus far more likely to be double checking things, and plus you know the patients on your service the best you will know them, since you've been keeping them alive all night. Both of those things can often make you less dangerous than when you first show up.

This sounds like the drunk who thinks they're still ok to drive because they drive extra carefully when they're wasted.

-----------------------

I'm glad that at least a few people agree that long hours = decreased performance. I agree that we don't know how long is "long," and that there are plenty of other problems with figuring out how to shorten hours. I never meant for my "8h x 3 shifts" thing to be such a point of contention...it was just a suggestion. I don't think 12x2 is unreasonable either. There are many other equally valid possibilities including the current rules, which think are actually pretty good, when used correctly.

I know of one program who have residents work from, like, 8am-2pm, then leave from 2pm-10pm, then come back for 10pm-8am call. We all know they are following the letter of the law, but not the spirit. No one is sleeping during that 2pm-10pm period, so their interns are still up for >24h.

There are many programs who aren't abusing their residents. On the interview trail, I found tons of programs whose medicine months were averaging in the 60h/week range, instead of the 80h/week range. We need to look at how those places are succeeding and making that work, instead of just pretending that we are super-human and infallible.

------------------------

Please bear with me a second here, but I do feel a little shafted when you all say that I'm not "ultimately responsible" for my patients. I understand that someone else bears "final responsibility," but I take my job very seriously and never just showed up on a service to watch residents treat patients. In fact, on many of MY rotations, there were no residents and I had a lot more responsibility than most of you were probably used to as medical students.

I had a patient once who had some problems with diabetic feet, in addition to numerous other medical problems. One day, my attending and I were examining a particularly nasty ulcer. During the process, we both examined his feet. A few hours later, he started thrombosing everywhere. He was on Heparin. He had developed HIT. Further exam revealed petechiae between his toes. We both missed it. He died a few hours later.

Now, I understand that my attending was "The One" responsible for that patient, but it was still MY miss. I could've caught that. To me, it will forever be MY miss, not his. I would add that he was on his 5th 12h (plus change) shift in a row and was a bit haggard, but I won't.

By the same token, MY saves are MY saves. I saw a patient presenting with anxiety and depression, who also had a history of a weird heart arrhythmia, muscle aches, joint problems, and a nice tan. His hemochromatosis had been missed by no less than 5 attendings (FM, Cards, GI, Rheum, Psych) and lord knows how many residents. I caught it. My save.

To say that a med student isn't responsible for their patients does us a disservice.

I guess my perspective is a little different since I rotated in so many non-teaching hospitals, and many of the teaching hospitals that I did rotate at had reasonable schedule (and I sought them out for that reason). I've certainly done long shifts, but I probably didn't have the same experience many of you did. I know most med students at the MD school near me didn't actually get to do any surgery on their surgery rotation. They just watched from a stool. I was taking things out and sewing things up.

I've also tended to have more patients on my census than residents are saying they take care of in residency. I did an IM rotation where I was personally responsible for 12-15 patients each day, with no resident or "team," and my attending (who is on CRACK) barely read my notes and saw the patients in about 1-2 minutes each, with only the most cursory of exams. Those were MY patients. I was scared to death he would miss something important. Only one of them died, of Herpes Encephalitis, and that was due to all of us missing his Herpes lesion and attributing his AMS to his EtOH use. So again, please don't assume that I only took care of 2-3 patients per day like some med students that I've talked to. That was not MY experience.

Last edited:
Just for clarity, the 16 hour limit is only for interns, not "anyone". The real number after that is 24+4. I agree most night floats on paper are 13+ hours a night up to 6 nights in a row (13 x 6 is 78 hours).. But even at programs which are careful about staying within the rule (which isn't everyone), Murphys law dictates that things can happen during sign out that will prolong your stay. Eg. patients are going to code during sign out when you are trying to leave, so there will be nights where 13 becomes 15. Or the person coming to relieve you gets in a traffic accident. Or weather prevents the next shift from showing up at all, and it takes the chief a few hours to find someone who can come in. My point is there will be cases where you will be up working past your stated hours even under the best intentioned of systems.

There are internal programs I know that have applied this to all three years. Residents were much happier across the board and weren't bitter that interns had it easier

so not every specialty residency requires you to work 80 hrs a week and sometimes 30 hours shift?

I think a better way to think about medicine would be to expect that every specialty requires at minimum 80 hour shifts and often a 30 hour shift. If the one you happen to go in to, in the end, does not, you are pleasantly surprised.

There are internal programs I know that have applied this to all three years. Residents were much happier across the board and weren't bitter that interns had it easier

I believe the ACGME is trying to enforce the 16 hr limit for all years, but there is even more push back for that than there was for the intern year rules.

And digtlnoize - did you ever actually experience handoffs in your rotations?

In my opinion they are very hard to get right and most hospitals probably don't get them right.

This turns patient care into a dangerous game of telephone.

The sign out process needs much more attention and needs to be streamlined. If you focus only on hours and ignore handoffs, you will end up killing patients.

I believe the ACGME is trying to enforce the 16 hr limit for all years, but there is even more push back for that than there was for the intern year rules.

And digtlnoize - did you ever actually experience handoffs in your rotations?

In my opinion they are very hard to get right and most hospitals probably don't get them right.

This turns patient care into a dangerous game of telephone.

The sign out process needs much more attention and needs to be streamlined. If you focus only on hours and ignore handoffs, you will end up killing patients.

Don't you at some point have to handoff or sign out even if you work 30 hours or 8? Is the problem then with not putting in enough hours or the process of handing off patients?

In regards to patients coding at the end of your 8 hr shift, couldn't they code at the end of your 30 hour too. Since you know them best shouldn't you still stay?

Sorry for quoting you for the second part. It is just a general question so I can understand the issue better.

I also wanted to say that the hospitals would fight this because based on 80 hrs a week they can get us to do the job for 11 an hr where they would pay an attending or pa 50+ hr. I think for them financial incentive is a bigger driver.

If it was easy everyone would do it.

Although I did read somewhere that the temporal lobe starts to malfunction at 24 hours without rest. ?

Don't you at some point have to handoff or sign out even if you work 30 hours or 8? Is the problem then with not putting in enough hours or the process of handing off patients?

In regards to patients coding at the end of your 8 hr shift, couldn't they code at the end of your 30 hour too. Since you know them best shouldn't you still stay?

It's a matter of degree. In a game of telephone, the message is usually still pretty clear in the beginning. It gets muddled later. There's obviously a trade off, but a strict 16 hr limit might be too drastic.

The most dangerous time is over the weekend. You could theoretically have different secondary teams covering Friday night, Saturday, Saturday night, Sunday, and Sunday night (if the primary has a golden weekend). There's no way that's good for patient care.

I am curious to see how the new work hour rules affect the rate of medical errors. We know that the last set of work hour rules didn't significantly impact the medical error rate one way or the other. However I feel like the commonly accepted wisdom, handed down by the defenders of the traditional call schedule, is that the shift from unlimited call days to 30 hour call days didn't reduce medical errors because there was a proportional increase in handoffs. I've always thought the more obvious reason was that the time when all of the errors was likely to occur was when the call team was both exhausted and relatively unsupervised: i.e. during the last half of the night shift. Once the next day starts the team is supervised by a well rested attending and errors due to exhaustion are unlikely to occur. I still think that, now that there is a rested team on the night shift, we're going to see a significant improvement in patient care. I guess we'll see.

I'd like to see the entire body of research that shows that you are functionally drunk when you've been working 15.5 hours.

If you're not a physician who is responsible for your patient's care, then your experience isn't adequate to be talking about what it's like to be a physician who is responsible for your patient's care.

I would also ask if the work hour rules may be able to be different for different specialties or different units? I agree that an ICU may benefit from doctors who know the patients very well and practically live there. The same would not be said of, say, the ED...where most of your patients come and go over the course of a shift.
Yes, the ED can clearly make shift work a more feasible option. They also do work fewer hours when they're on EM rotations, to my knowledge.

I don't know why all the residents are getting up and arm about this issue. It is a researched fact that sleep deprivation is harmful not only for the people who are deprived of sleep but mistakes are definitely made.
You'll really need to post clinical outcomes research that support that negative outcomes result from this, otherwise you're just blowing smoke at us.

Of course sleep deprivation is harmful to the people who are sleep deprived. None of us are arguing that! It sucks!

The problem is both that folks on short shifts never really get to know their patients, and also that EVERY time you have a handoff there's going to be information lost and potential for error. So if you have one team that switches off every 8 hours and another that switches every 24 the first team is going to have triple the handoff errors by virtue of having triple the handoffs. And yes if a patient codes during your sign out you are going to stay. You can't leave until sign out is done. Fortunately the 30 hour shifts usually ended during the daytime when more residents were around, so they usually got you out of there soon enough.

In spite of the tone of my previously reply (which was way up there early in this thread), I'm not a big fan of 30h calls and am a huge fan of night float.

My IM residency program had a mixed system (and would be a perfect case study for NF vs O/N call) with two hospitals (U and VA) and 5 inpatient services...ICU, CCU and wards at the U, ICU and wards at the VA. the U had (until this year) overnight Q5 call on wards and Q3-ish call with NF in the MICU and CCU while the VA had Q5 call with NF on the wards and Q3 overnight call in the ICU. Everybody (myself included) hated U wards and VA ICU...mostly for the call schedule. They have since switched to a full NF model on all services and nobody does 24h+ calls anymore.

But with the decrease in duty hours (which I support) comes a concomitant decrease in clinical exposure hours (which I have a problem with). I definitely got a lot more sleep when I was on NF supported rotation, but I also saw a lot more pathology when I was on overnight call rotations. In order to get the same amount of clinical exposure with decreased daily/weekly/monthly work hours, training programs are going to have to either be more efficient (unlikely) or longer. There's just no two ways about it.

On the IM side of things, one of the corollary downsides to needing more inpatient coverage is that residents will now get less supspecialty consult and outpatient experience, simply because programs need 10-40% more warm bodies on the inpatient services. Combine this with the IM RRCs recent increase in required outpatient clinic time and the days of the 3 year IM residency will soon be over.

I'd like to see the entire body of research that shows that you are functionally drunk when you've been working 15.5 hours.
...!

agreed. The med students on here need to lose this fictional argument. Its not grounded in either science or anyones experience. No resident who has ever worked a 16 hour shift would compare being tired to being drunk. For one, you can still be quite competent when tired, but are a stupid blithering idiot when drunk. Second, being drunk is a lot more fun. And third, for those of us who worked 30 hour shifts, 16 hours is pretty much a cake walk, and you really aren't going to be dead on your feet in just that brief a stint. Most professionals in every field will work their share of 16 hour shifts. Heck as a lawyer I had plenty of days where I hopped a 7 am plane for a business deal and didn't get back home until 11pm. The only difference is that in medicine it's usually overnight and more frequent.

You'll really need to post clinical outcomes research that support that negative outcomes result from this, otherwise you're just blowing smoke at us.

Of course sleep deprivation is harmful to the people who are sleep deprived. None of us are arguing that! It sucks!

R U freaking kidding me, even a kindergartner knows this. Look up this article, not gonna spoon feed you something so obvious. Just because you like the status quo, doesn't mean you need to keep defending what sounds like a barbaric overworked schedule.

Effect of sleep deprivation on the performance of simulated laparoscopic surgical skill

agreed. The med students on here need to lose this fictional argument. Its not grounded in either science or anyones experience. No resident who has ever worked a 16 hour shift would compare being tired to being drunk. For one, you can still be quite competent when tired, but are a stupid blithering idiot when drunk. Second, being drunk is a lot more fun. And third, for those of us who worked 30 hour shifts, 16 hours is pretty much a cake walk, and you really aren't going to be dead on your feet in just that brief a stint. Most professionals in every field will work their share of 16 hour shifts. Heck as a lawyer I had plenty of days where I hopped a 7 am plane for a business deal and didn't get back home until 11pm. The only difference is that in medicine it's usually overnight and more frequent.

Being tired around 11pm while traveling and being tired while having to take care of a patient and make a life or death decision are completely different for some very obvious reasons.

Also, yes it is grounded in science. Google anything about sleep deprivation and mistakes and stop saying that it is not grounded in science. It is and even if it is not you should know from personal experiences. Are you really telling me that if were you take a test after being awake for 24 hours vs after being awake for 8 hours, you are going to get the same score?

Just for clarity, the 16 hour limit is only for interns, not "anyone".

Agreed, my bad.

This is not true. The ACGME is not trying to enforce a 16 hour limit on all residents. However, it wouldn't surprise me that, when they next review duty hours (which seems to be about every 8-10 years), that this might be the next step

As far as handoffs are concerned, I agree with the suggestion that the quality of handoffs is important. IMHO (no data), things that tend to make handoffs go bad:

1. Triple handoffs. Intern A leaves (to go to clinic) and signs out to Intern B. The night float intern arrives at 6PM to receive signout. Intern B's signout on Intern A's patients is always the same "Nothing to do, read the signout".

2. Inadequate shift overlaps. If the NF and day residents only overlap by 30 minutes, signout is going to suck.

3. Covering too many patients. If the NF is covering 60 patients, signout can never really work. Note that it's really related to how complicated the patients are, not just the number of patients.

Things that seem to help with signouts:

1. Contacting the off person. I realize this is "cheating", but as staff we often call each other when off shift. If I sign out my team to my partners, they might call me at 11PM to check on something. Usually I can clarify the situation and save the night person tons of time. The ACGME rules doesn't allow for this type of flexibility.

2. Covering from home -- in order to avoid the double signout, I cover my team from home. Our night shift starts at 8PM. When I'm done for the day, I go home and leave my pager on. Nurses call me, and 90+% of everything I can handle on the phone. We have an EMR with CPOE, so it's easy for me to put orders in from home. If there's a real disaster, then I ask someone in house to see the patient. At 8PM, I run the list with the night person. This is a much more humane system than some person being stuck with crazy cross cover until 8PM.

Also, yes it is grounded in science. Google anything about sleep deprivation and mistakes and stop saying that it is not grounded in science. It is and even if it is not you should know from personal experiences. Are you really telling me that if were you take a test after being awake for 24 hours vs after being awake for 8 hours, you are going to get the same score?

equating staying up 16 hours to being "drunk" is not grounded in science. Sorry, no. That's what my prior comment referred to. Everybody who has any personal experience knows this. It's only the pre-health and the med student who are way out of touch on this thread on this point. You may be tired but you aren't drunk or the equivalent of drunk, period.

And yes, a lot of residents have taken tests after being up 24 hours and gotten pretty much the same score. Wait until your inservice exams -- somebody is going to get stuck taking it post call. My intern year the guy with the highest score was coming off a 30 hour shift. Go figure.

As far as handoffs are concerned, I agree with the suggestion that the quality of handoffs is important. IMHO (no data), things that tend to make handoffs go bad:

1. Triple handoffs. Intern A leaves (to go to clinic) and signs out to Intern B. The night float intern arrives at 6PM to receive signout. Intern B's signout on Intern A's patients is always the same "Nothing to do, read the signout".

2. Inadequate shift overlaps. If the NF and day residents only overlap by 30 minutes, signout is going to suck.

3. Covering too many patients. If the NF is covering 60 patients, signout can never really work. Note that it's really related to how complicated the patients are, not just the number of patients.

Things that seem to help with signouts:

1. Contacting the off person. I realize this is "cheating", but as staff we often call each other when off shift. If I sign out my team to my partners, they might call me at 11PM to check on something. Usually I can clarify the situation and save the night person tons of time. The ACGME rules doesn't allow for this type of flexibility.

2. Covering from home -- in order to avoid the double signout, I cover my team from home. Our night shift starts at 8PM. When I'm done for the day, I go home and leave my pager on. Nurses call me, and 90+% of everything I can handle on the phone. We have an EMR with CPOE, so it's easy for me to put orders in from home. If there's a real disaster, then I ask someone in house to see the patient. At 8PM, I run the list with the night person. This is a much more humane system than some person being stuck with crazy cross cover until 8PM.

triple handoffs and minimal overlap would help, but honestly these are some of the perqs of a resident run service and it would stink to lose them. Basically allowing this enables residents to send each other home early when nothing is going on. But I agree they are error sources. The triple handoff is basically where there is an intern whose job it is to stay on while his (and other)team goes home early, and it's his job to take the sign outs and then again sign everybody out to the night float person. Basically it allows folks to get out of the hospital early once in a while while it's still light out. But since that person may not really know all the patients he's carrying for that hour or two, his sign out for the patients he isn't carrying tends to be a bad paraphrase of whatever he was told, and he's not really able to answer questions if you have the desire to probe deeper. So yeah, nice perquisite but big source of errors. Minimal overlap means when the night float person shows up, he gets handout and then the day person can go home. Since you can generally leave after sign out and don't want to get caught up in something like a code, there's an incentive to sign out as fast as possible. Overlap can fix this, but there will always be the horse trading mentality that I let you go early so you will do the same for me next week. I'm not sure that a longer sign out is going to be better, just more chances for the guy trying to leave to get sucked into something that will keep him past duty hours.

As far as calling colleagues in the middle of the night or having additional home call backup, I actually find these things far less palatable than leaving your work at work. Anyone who has actually done this as an intern realizes that you will be getting stupid calls all night and then be expected to come in the next morning as if you weren't on call. At least when you are an attending, nurses fear you enough not to wake you at 3 am to ask if you know Dr X's phone number. As an intern you end up with broken sleep every time, and aren't even considered to have been on call for duty hour purposes. No thanks.

As for cross covering and carrying too many patients that comes down to the size of residency. With a lean group of residents you will always have this issue -- barely enough residents to cover all the services means no flexibility.

equating staying up 16 hours to being "drunk" is not grounded in science. Sorry, no. That's what my prior comment referred to. Everybody who has any personal experience knows this. It's only the pre-health and the med student who are way out of touch on this thread on this point. You may be tired but you aren't drunk or the equivalent of drunk, period.

And yes, a lot of residents have taken tests after being up 24 hours and gotten pretty much the same score. Wait until your inservice exams -- somebody is going to get stuck taking it post call. My intern year the guy with the highest score was coming off a 30 hour shift. Go figure.

Sorry, yes. I'm not going to do all your work for you, but read the research. You can start here, with the NEJM and Czeisler's work:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa041404

Sleep deprivation has been shown over and over to impair psychomotor performance and attention in multiple tasks across many fields and many different types of people. Doctors, nurses, air traffic controllers, pilots, factory workers...we all respond the same to a sleep debt.

Can people work a 30 hour shift and not kill a patient or rock a test? Sure. Happens all the time. Can people drive home drunk and not kill themselves or anyone else? Sure. Happens all the time. It still doesn't mean that

And when we talk about sleep deprivation being "the same" as being drunk, what is really meant is that it IMPAIR PERFORMANCE as much as being drunk. Of course it's not "the same."

I've given you a couple citations now showing experimental evidence that sleep deprivation negatively impacts performance. There are HUNDREDS more papers showing the same thing if you do a quick lit search. How about you show me some research that says that sleep deprivation has no impact on performance? Where's THAT data? I have yet to see even ONE paper showing what you claim.

Last edited:
Sorry, yes. I'm not going to do all your work for you, but read the research. You can start here, with the NEJM and Czeisler's work:

Sleep deprivation has been shown over and over to impair psychomotor performance and attention in multiple tasks across many fields and many different types of people. Doctors, nurses, air traffic controllers, pilots, factory workers...we all respond the same to a sleep debt.

Can people work a 30 hour shift and not kill a patient or rock a test? Sure. Happens all the time. Can people drive home drunk and not kill themselves or anyone else? Sure. Happens all the time. It still doesn't mean that

And when we talk about sleep deprivation being "the same" as being drunk, what is really meant is that it IMPAIR PERFORMANCE as much as being drunk. Of course it's not "the same."

I've given you a couple citations now showing experimental evidence that sleep deprivation negatively impacts performance. There are HUNDREDS more papers showing the same thing if you do a quick lit search. How about you show me some research that says that sleep deprivation has no impact on performance? Where's THAT data? I have yet to see even ONE paper showing what you claim.

Hey, do you think some of these residents are totally missing some of our points and not understanding subtle exaggerations or misquoting things like being awake for 28 hrs vs 16 hrs? Maybe they are sleep deprived.

Last edited:
Now you're just being obtuse. I have, and will continue to mostly stay out of this discussion because 1) I see both sides of the argument and 2) I'm not yet a resident and can't comment firsthand. However, suggesting that one's performance on tests is not dependent on sleep is just flat-out intellectually dishonest. What advice have you gotten throughout school? "Get a good night's sleep before" [an important test] or "Multiple studies have shown that outcomes on tests do not depend on the amount of sleep that one gets before. Therefore, live it up, pull that all-nighter -- studies have shown that it makes no difference!"
:rolleyes:

Hey, do you think some of these residents are totally missing some of our points and not understanding subtle exaggerations or misquoting things like being awake for 28 hrs vs 16 hrs? Maybe they are sleep deprived.

Now you're just being obtuse. I have, and will continue to mostly stay out of this discussion because 1) I see both sides of the argument and 2) I'm not yet a resident and can't comment firsthand. However, suggesting that one's performance on tests is not dependent on sleep is just flat-out intellectually dishonest. What advice have you gotten throughout school? "Get a good night's sleep before" [an important test] or "Multiple studies have shown that outcomes on tests do not depend on the amount of sleep that one gets before. Therefore, live it up, pull that all-nighter -- studies have shown that it makes no difference!"
:rolleyes:

I'm just glad someone is on this side of the fence. I am totally willing to admit that I'm not a resident (yet), and that, as such, I don't really have this magical first-hand knowledge which is supposed to make me realize that all the research on sleep is wrong...

My sticking point is simply that there is a crap load of research stating very clearly that sleep deprivation, even very short term, causes performance issues for most humans. Maybe 1/20 doctors is superhuman and the rules don't apply to them, but most of us aren't and are endangering patients, and more importantly ourselves, by working inhumane hours.

I seriously don't have time to go posting every article backing me up, but anyone reading this should be capable of doing their own lit search on the topic. I promise, the data backs me up. Almost every other field has realized this. Look at the air traffic controller rules, which are MUCH more stringent.

We need to regulate ourselves before Congress decides they need to do it for us.

You know what also sucks, what also impairs performance, and also leads to resident burnout? Not ever getting more than a 24 hour period off in a given week.

With the new intern work hour schedules, the interns at many programs (including mine) never get a full weekend off. Oh, they get their mandated 1 in 7 off, but almost never a full weekend. And that BLOWS.

Taking a few 28 hour calls isn't so bad if it means that you can get two days in a row off. But with the new work hour rules, it just isn't possible, because there aren't enough residents to maintain 24 hour coverage. So...sorry.

I find that people get just as sloppy, just as careless as someone who's been up for 28 hours if they never get a decent chunk of time off to themselves. You get burnt out, and tired, and exhausted.

And as for "We need to regulate ourselves before Congress decides they need to do it for us," if you want smaller work hours, you need more residents. And Congress has already decided that they don't want more residents; there's even rumors that they will make people pay tuition to do residency. So...more residents and fewer work hours is probably not going to happen.

You know what also sucks, what also impairs performance, and also leads to resident burnout? Not ever getting more than a 24 hour period off in a given week.

With the new intern work hour schedules, the interns at many programs (including mine) never get a full weekend off. Oh, they get their mandated 1 in 7 off, but almost never a full weekend. And that BLOWS.

Taking a few 28 hour calls isn't so bad if it means that you can get two days in a row off. But with the new work hour rules, it just isn't possible, because there aren't enough residents to maintain 24 hour coverage. So...sorry.

I find that people get just as sloppy, just as careless as someone who's been up for 28 hours if they never get a decent chunk of time off to themselves. You get burnt out, and tired, and exhausted.

And as for "We need to regulate ourselves before Congress decides they need to do it for us," if you want smaller work hours, you need more residents. And Congress has already decided that they don't want more residents; there's even rumors that they will make people pay tuition to do residency. So...more residents and fewer work hours is probably not going to happen.

True. Which is why we're not seeing a drop in errors yet...which is what I've been saying all along.

The new rules do not go nearly far enough to fix the problem. People who are working too hard, and are burned out make mistakes.

I agree that not having days off sucks. There should be mandated days off. I have found that the best teaching hospitals have enough attendings that the service CAN function without the residents. This way, the residents main activity is to learn, and there are enough attendings so no one has to work insane hours. But, it requires a financial investment on the part of the institution.

Anyways, I'm unsubscribing this thread. I've been spending far too much time on this...

Nice discussion all. Best of luck!

Even worse at some programs...they have started using the dreaded "DOMA"...day off my a**...counting the 24 hour period where you switch from days/nights or vice versa as your day off...

The question here is much simpler than you're making it out to be. Which causes more errors: long shifts but no handoffs or shorter shifts with multiple handoffs?

In this regard, each field is a little different. Let's take surgery. You're the surgeon on trauma call, pt comes in with GSW around 10am. You go to surgery, fix whatever is going on, pt's stable. At 7pm you go home. At 10pm the patient deteriorates. Would you rather the surgeon who has already operated on you, but who has been on call for ~17hours re-operate or would you rather a surgeon who's been on call for 2 hours but who has doesn't really know what all went down in that first procedure?

Let's take medicine (this actually has happened to me more than once). Day team admits a patient in septic shock 3 hours before shift change. An hour after day team leaves, pt crumps. Even the best check out in the world won't convey everything the day team thought about or contain every single piece of history they obtained. What if the day team forgot to mention some minor detail.... that turns into a huge deal when the patient gets acutely worse?

Continuity of care is more important that most people realize - especially lay people and medical students.

There obviously is an ideal balance between hours and continuity, but I think its closer to the 30/80 schedule compared to the current one.

R U freaking kidding me, even a kindergartner knows this. Look up this article, not gonna spoon feed you something so obvious. Just because you like the status quo, doesn't mean you need to keep defending what sounds like a barbaric overworked schedule.

Effect of sleep deprivation on the performance of simulated laparoscopic surgical skill
This is hardly even worth dignifying with a response, but your ignorance is clearly showing.

Here's your study:
All 14 surgeons in training at our department— 11 men and three women—participated in the study. The median age was 34 (range 24-43) and the median time since graduation was six years (1-11 years). All trainees had similar, limited experience in laparoscopic surgery; the median number of cholecystectomies they had performed was 0 (0–5). All participants received identical pretraining on the minimally invasive surgical trainer-virtual reality (MIST-VR, Mentice Medical Simulation, Gothenburg, Sweden) by performing nine repetitions of six tasks. 1 2 The laparoscopic surgical skills of the 14 trainees were assessed on the 10th repetition of the task, which was performed during normal daytime working hours and again at 9 30 am after a night on call with impaired sleep. The period between the first and 10th repetition on the MIST was predetermined to be no longer than one month.

The median total sleep time during the night on call was 1.5 hours (0-3 hours). After a night on call the time taken to complete the virtual laparoscopic tasks (P&#8804;0.006) increased significantly for tasks 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (5.4 v 7.6 seconds, 5.6 v 7.8 seconds, 6.7 v 8.1 seconds, 15.0 v 18.1 seconds, and 18.2 v 23.8 seconds, respectively), and after a night shift surgeons performed significantly more errors in tasks 1 and 6 (0.6 v 1.0, P=0.01; and 1.4 v 3.5, P=0.005, respectively). The number of unnecessary movements for tasks 5 and 6 increased significantly after a night on call (7.8 v 9.4, P=0.008 and 6.1 v 8.2, P=0.004, respectively). (Data for all six tasks and a description of each task can be found on the BMJ's website.) The figure shows data from task 6. This task includes elements from most of the other tasks, is the most complex, and requires the highest levels of concentration and coordination. Previous studies have found that this task correlated best with surgical performance in vivo.3
1. This was done in 2001, when the laparoscopic cholecystectomy was already well-established as the standard of care. 14 surgeons who had graduated ~6 years prior, and the median number of cholecystectomies they had done was ZERO? Where did they find these guys? I'm not even done with my second year, and I've logged 26.

2. You guys keep talking about operating after being awake for 30 hours, but you're not even allowed to operate after being awake for 30 hours. You can't even be at work after 30 hours. You couldn't a year ago, and you can't now. You have to be gone after 28 hours, and you're not allowed to take care of new patients after 24 hours. The remaining 4 hours of your shift is clearly stated as being for wrapping up care of patients you acquired during the first 24 hours.

3. Residency is one thing, but this is exactly what you will be doing as an attending. When a patient with a ruptured AAA comes in at 2am, the only vascular surgeon available is going to be one who was awake all day and probably only went to sleep a few hours prior. There is not (and will not be) a shift work schedule for specialties like vascular surgery or transplant surgery. When something bad happens in the middle of the night, there are not enough vascular/transplant surgeons in the country to fill in a well-rested call schedule.

You are training as a resident for exactly what you will be doing as an attending. It would be terrifying to only work 12 hour shifts as a resident and then be put on call for an entire week straight as an attending (which is a very likely scenario for many specialties).

True. Which is why we're not seeing a drop in errors yet...which is what I've been saying all along.

The new rules do not go nearly far enough to fix the problem. People who are working too hard, and are burned out make mistakes.

I agree that not having days off sucks. There should be mandated days off. I have found that the best teaching hospitals have enough attendings that the service CAN function without the residents. This way, the residents main activity is to learn, and there are enough attendings so no one has to work insane hours. But, it requires a financial investment on the part of the institution.

Anyways, I'm unsubscribing this thread. I've been spending far too much time on this...

Nice discussion all. Best of luck!
Enjoy your 10 year residency.

The question here is much simpler than you're making it out to be. Which causes more errors: long shifts but no handoffs or shorter shifts with multiple handoffs?

In this regard, each field is a little different. Let's take surgery. You're the surgeon on trauma call, pt comes in with GSW around 10am. You go to surgery, fix whatever is going on, pt's stable. At 7pm you go home. At 10pm the patient deteriorates. Would you rather the surgeon who has already operated on you, but who has been on call for ~17hours re-operate or would you rather a surgeon who's been on call for 2 hours but who has doesn't really know what all went down in that first procedure?

Let's take medicine (this actually has happened to me more than once). Day team admits a patient in septic shock 3 hours before shift change. An hour after day team leaves, pt crumps. Even the best check out in the world won't convey everything the day team thought about or contain every single piece of history they obtained. What if the day team forgot to mention some minor detail.... that turns into a huge deal when the patient gets acutely worse?

Continuity of care is more important that most people realize - especially lay people and medical students.

There obviously is an ideal balance between hours and continuity, but I think its closer to the 30/80 schedule compared to the current one.

Absolutely. And you combine with that the concept of cross covering, where the person who signed out the patients to you barely knew some of them in the first place, and again, it's like a really bad game of telephone. In my experience, a good chunk of the problems come from those patients you barely are told anything about, not even on your radar, where the team tells you, "this guy is rock solid stable, being discharged in the morning, nothing to do". I hear that, I know this guy is going to start crashing at 3 am. And I know someone from the treating team would have a huge head start on figuring what must have happened, even if they were exhausted, rather than me furiously trying to learn who this guy is from scratch. Continuity makes a big difference.