question about step 2 CS note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've recently taken Step II CS and I'm currently agonizing whether I'm going to fail due to me not including certain things in the note such as pmh? Psh? Meds?

I understand in the note it says literally only include relevant information to the patients problem yet in every example note I read, they list basically everything like a full H + P. Even if the listed items are not relevant to the problem at all.

I like to think I included history that was relevant but left out certain phrases, for instance if a patient had no past medical history, I didnt write that as I felt I didnt need to.

Gonna be hella pissed if I failed cause I didnt write no pmhx No meds Etc.

Felt like the rest of what I did was solid

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. Look at their sample note they post on their website. They don't include everything.
I think people add in PMH, PSH, etc in every note because it's easier than spending time to think about what's relevant and what's not.
If you include everything that the graders have on their checklist, you will be fine.
Of course, you have to include things that are relevant. Can't skip pmh when someone has pmh. Can't skip social hx when someone has a smoking hx.
In the above, they don't include anything other than pmh and meds. I think that's the way this test is meant "focused" being the key word.

With human graders, it seems to be assumed that making the note look “professional” matters, as they will be biased against the writer if it doesn’t look like a real note. Of course that’s guesswork, but I’ve heard that from some people who train students for CS.

Now with computer grading you probably just need the right words in the ddx/workup. So probably bullet even better now. Just guessing like everyone else.

So I've recently taken Step II CS and I'm currently agonizing whether I'm going to fail due to me not including certain things in the note such as pmh? Psh? Meds?

I understand in the note it says literally only include relevant information to the patients problem yet in every example note I read, they list basically everything like a full H + P. Even if the listed items are not relevant to the problem at all.

I like to think I included history that was relevant but left out certain phrases, for instance if a patient had no past medical history, I didnt write that as I felt I didnt need to.

Gonna be hella pissed if I failed cause I didnt write no pmhx No meds Etc.

Felt like the rest of what I did was solid
Did you end up passing the exam? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone passed with OP style notes? I also didn’t include sections not relevant for case. That is what the damn prompt says to do....

Thank you...I'm freaking out so bad my wife wants to throw me out.

I hope one day someone sues them and the actual grading becomes public. I'm sure it's a random ****show since there is no accountability.