question about the night before get together

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So just how important are these things? If I really want to got to a program is this a must? even if it means more money on a flight/more time off a rotation? (and can i skip it if i'm not-so-interested)
Just curious how you residents (and PDs) look on missing the night before festivities.
thanks,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

If you tell them you can't make it, they seem to understand. If you tell them you're coming, and then don't, it can be seen as "not strong". It is really for you, so you get to know the people that are residents there.

There are two things I highly recommend: attending the night before dinner and staying with a resident.

If you give off good vibes to a resident, he/she can go to bat for you. At the end of the interview season, most programs will solicit feedback from residents. Who they really liked, who stood out as a complete jerk, etc. They also solicit feedback from the secretaries, so make sure you're nice to them.

Is the night-before dinner required? No, absolutely not. If you explain to them that it was going to cost $500 extra to fly out 1 day earlier, I'm sure the PD and the residents will understand. You will also have an opportunity to meet some residents throughout the day or at least during lunch, if the program provides a joint resident-applicant lunch.

Some programs take applicants to very nice restaurants and spend a fortune on pre-interview dinners (mine included).

Oh, and I agree that it's bad form to say you're coming and then cancel.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you all feel about attire? Most of these tend to be at a faculty member's home or at a local restaurant . . right?

Thanks

So just how important are these things? If I really want to got to a program is this a must? even if it means more money on a flight/more time off a rotation? (and can i skip it if i'm not-so-interested)
Just curious how you residents (and PDs) look on missing the night before festivities.
thanks,
streetdoc

If you're 'not-so-interested' then why are you interviewing at a program?wasting their time and yours and potentially keeping an interviewee who is very interested in a program from getting an interview.
If you aren't sure if you're interested, then what better way than by going to the night before dinner?

What do you all feel about attire? Most of these tend to be at a faculty member's home or at a local restaurant . . right?

Thanks

As I was packing up my bag for my 1st interview today, I wondered the same thing... re: the evening prior to the interview, can we wear jeans and a nice shirt? Or do we have to wear a skirt or dress pants?

As I was packing up my bag for my 1st interview today, I wondered the same thing... re: the evening prior to the interview, can we wear jeans and a nice shirt? Or do we have to wear a skirt or dress pants?
It depends. We send out emails specifying dress code depending on the restaurant. For this year, I think jeans will be ok. I will be wearing jeans or scrubs (if I'm getting off a shift), but then again, I'm not interviewing. :)

This is your chance to get to know the residents. Please do not show up in a suit.

I'm trying to figure this out at this very moment for the 'casual' resident's dinner going on in ten minutes.

I've lost the shirt and tie, decided to wear a sweater, and split the difference between dress pants and jeans by wearing slacks.

Of course, I could just run downstairs to the hotel pub and scope out what everyone is wearing and run upstairs and adjust ...

Nah.

A suit would be way overdressed for our pre-interviews. Missing the dinner is not a big deal. It's much more for you to talk to the residents and get a feel for the program.

If you're 'not-so-interested' then why are you interviewing at a program?wasting their time and yours and potentially keeping an interviewee who is very interested in a program from getting an interview.
If you aren't sure if you're interested, then what better way than by going to the night before dinner?

The specific upcoming interview is where I have been for a month and this is a "courtesy" interview --so I don't believe that I am taking a spot from anyone. I admit to using this as more of a practice run to get back in the swing of interviewing, but I also wanted to see if you guys thought there was an unspoken requirement to attend the dinners.
thanks for the feedback-
streetdoc
( just spent $300 on a flight to make sure I can get to the night before gathering at a program )

The specific upcoming interview is where I have been for a month and this is a "courtesy" interview --so I don't believe that I am taking a spot from anyone. I admit to using this as more of a practice run to get back in the swing of interviewing, but I also wanted to see if you guys thought there was an unspoken requirement to attend the dinners.
thanks for the feedback-
streetdoc
( just spent $300 on a flight to make sure I can get to the night before gathering at a program )
As I said before, is it absolutely required? No. Is it beneficial? Yes. It definitely allows you to see if you fit in with the residents. The residents also can give the PD some feedback if it's extremely positive or negative.

Just got in from the resident's dinner and it's worth it to get the inside scoop on the program. Quite a turnout - I think residents to interviewees was 2:1, lots of candid opinions - to do's, not to do's at the interview. Got to meet other candidates before having to put on the monkey suit. Good stuff.

My best tip- I have been to 3 interviews so far with my couples match partner, and I have learned one very important lesson. DO NOT EAT TOO MUCH OF THE AWESOME FOOD!

For the first two interviews, we gorged ourselves, thinking 'free!! free! free!' and were sick all night long from nervousness and overeating. Makes for an unpleasant interview morning. I'm waiting for him to get out of an interview right now, and last night we made sure to get a light entree and not finish everything on our plates. Much better.

Of course, I could just run downstairs to the hotel pub and scope out what everyone is wearing and run upstairs and adjust ...

Just a guess here, but I'd say if it's in a pub, you already have your dress code answer. Loose the suit. :)

Quite a turnout - I think residents to interviewees was 2:1

You think the desire for free food and drink ends in medical school? :)

Take care and good luck!

Jeff