question about the scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kims1202

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the Match, anxiously awaiting the results as many of you are. My husband, however, will have to scramble because he started the application process so late. My question is: because we don't find out WHERE we matched until the 17th, how will my husband know what area to try to scramble into? Is there a way to find out before then? Any information or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

kims1202 said:
I am currently in the Match, anxiously awaiting the results as many of you are. My husband, however, will have to scramble because he started the application process so late. My question is: because we don't find out WHERE we matched until the 17th, how will my husband know what area to try to scramble into? Is there a way to find out before then? Any information or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Nope. You're "S-O-L" as they say, unless you tried to couples match. You have to wait until Thursday. He's got Tuesday and Wednesday to try to guess right.

Good luck!

-Skip

yeah...that's a tough one. Unless the program you matched at violates the match rules and gives you some hints if you call them (which would be a violation on your part), I can't see how you can find out the information beforehand.

As Skip notes, it looks like your husband will have to play the odds as to where you matched when contacting his programs.

If you are determined to stay together, he can also either wait the year out or wait until you have your info and see if there are any spots in his field of choice left.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about lookin at last year's list of unfulfilled spots? I don't know how consistent it is year to year though. But at least it might give an idea of what hospitals to consider asking.

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. It looks like we'll just have to do our best at guessing or else wait until next year.

kims1202 said:
Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. It looks like we'll just have to do our best at guessing or else wait until next year.
I would wait until you match and then go to findaresident.com. He is likely to find a prelim. medicine spot or prelim surgery spot (many of those go unfilled each year) from which he can then jump to any specialty as a PGY2 next year.

kims1202 said:

I read somewhere on these boards that under certain circumstances you can find out (from the Dean's office at your school) the city and state that one partner matched at. I don't know if this is only for couples-match applicants or if any nice Dean's office that you cry in can help.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances though...