question about the soap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkaz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we find out if we matched or not into residency in just a little over 3 hours. I'm hoping I did match (and probably did, based on the sheer number of places I applied at). However, just for my benefit in case I have to SOAP, or for anyone else's benefit who has to SOAP... I was just wondering:

If someone wants to become a psychiatrist (and a psychiatrist only) would any other positions in the SOAP open up that door? Of course applying to any remaining categorical psych positions would be the first option. What next? If all categorical psych positions are full, should the person then apply for prelim medicine year or transitional year? (Being a psych only applicant, I have no idea about the difference between the two, and would appreciate the advice.) Or should someone just apply to a categorical family medicine/internal medicine position, and hope for the chance to resident swap out to psych in the future?

Also, if one previously applied to certain psych programs, and didn't get an interview there, or interviewed without being ranked... is there a benefit to applying to that same program again in hopes of being considered this time? Or is it just wasting an application?

I haven't put much thought into all of this since I hope to match directly into categorical psychiatry today, but just thought I'd ask now... as wondering what to apply for in 3 hours when one finds himself/herself unmatched would be even more stressful. Thanks most sincerely!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't get psych this year but still want to try for it again next year, I would suggest a prelim medicine year or transitional year (though I believe transitional years are harder to get because they are often sought after by Derm/rads types)
It will make reapplying much easier if you take a one year spot because they will know you need time off for interviews and will support your application. If you take an IM/FM spot with a plan to switch then they might be unhappy with you leaving and make life hard for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Peppy.

I am thrilled to have matched, so thankfully I won't have to resort to this. But hope this helps those who are in this unfortunate situation.

Thank you so much to everyone here who has helped me through this process. I'm deeply indebted to you all.

Reactions: 2 users