Question about UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyShorty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm researching into different programs and found the following comment from scutwork.com

"I spoke to a final-year resident at HUP about being prepared. He told me that he honestly doesn't know whether after 4yrs he will be prepared to be an attending. This is because (at least at HUP) management and care of patients is extremely skewed towards attending personal preferences and as a result, one tends to decide management based on who the attending is as opposed to what one really believes is appropriate or adequate. I found this startling, given his 4th yr status..."

I don't know how true this is. If any of you want to second that or disagree with that, please speak up. I would like to hear your opinion. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you show up for work, even for 3 years, you develop a style, with as much what you DON'T do, as you do. After four years, if you're not straining at the reins and ready to just get the hell out and ready to do your own thing, the problem lies in the person, and not the program.

3 or 4 years, many residents don't feel they are prepared when they leave residency. Most of the residency grads I know are pretty competant, whether they believe they are or not.

When you're in residency, you make a lot of patient-care decisions but ultimately you have to get the rubber stamp from your attendings. Usually the farther you get in residency the more leeway your attendings give you. It also depends on the attending, and somewhat on the program.

I hated having my attendings make all of the important decisions. However it's very important for both patient safety and your education. Part of developing your style is seeing how your attendings handle things. I learned something even from the attendings I hated the most.

Also, when you're an attending, you realize how nice it was as a resident to have someone else make all of the difficult decisions.

Talk to that same resident next year and see if he still feels the same way.