Question about Urology residency requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BONDFAN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 1st year med student interested in Urology, I was curious as to the board scores and class rank necessary to secure a Urology residency. Thanks in advance for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

BONDFAN said:
As a 1st year med student interested in Urology, I was curious as to the board scores and class rank necessary to secure a Urology residency. Thanks in advance for the input.
Check out the board score thread below for information on that. Most people say there isn't a true cutoff. 230+ is usually pretty good to get yourself a good # of interviews. You should honor medicine and surgery in your third year. Honors in urology 4th year electives is a must.

But that being said, you hear anecdotes of those who matched with scores in the 210's and those who didn't match that had scores in the 250's. So a lot of it depends upon the candidate, research, and letters of recommendation.

If you are a first year medical student, you are fortunate that you already know that you are interested in urology.
Although it is possible to get in with low scores, you can really do yourself a favor by getting over 230. A lot of programs use 220 as a cut off for interviews, but if you get over 230 you don't have to worry about being on the edge of the cut.
Obviously there is a lot more to it than that, but you don't want to get excluded from the game by having low scores.

henson said:
If you are a first year medical student, you are fortunate that you already know that you are interested in urology.
Although it is possible to get in with low scores, you can really do yourself a favor by getting over 230. A lot of programs use 220 as a cut off for interviews, but if you get over 230 you don't have to worry about being on the edge of the cut.
Obviously there is a lot more to it than that, but you don't want to get excluded from the game by having low scores.

Having gone through this process, here's what I would do if I were a first year all over again (shuddering at the thought).

* Do well in your preclinical courses, not for the grades necessarily but to prepare yourself for Step 1.
* Start a research project in urology as soon as you can that produces a paper or two.
* Do well on Step 1. >230 is good. >240 is better. >250 is great.
* Do well on your rotations. Honors Medicine & Surgery.
* Do do well enough to get AOA.
* Rotate through urology clerkship in your third year if possible.
* Get to know urology attendings, at least a couple of well known people
* Do your Urology AI as early as possible in your fourth year as possible
* Work hard, be a normal person that's fun to be around, enjoy the experience