Question about volunteer hours when applying to PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future PT 12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about volunteer hours when it comes to applying to PT school. In the next couple of weeks, I plan to volunteer at a local clinic so I can get some hours for PT school. I do not have a form or anything to record these hours. The place that I will be volunteering at does not have a volunteer coordinator, so I have to keep track of my own hours.

1) Should I find a volunteer form online and have the PT fill it out, so that when I apply PT schools will know I did volunteer work for Summer 2010? (also if you know any links to any simple volunteer forms that would be great!)

2) For those who have already applied, how did you go about writing volunteer hours? Did you just write down "x" amount of hours without verification or did they ask the place you volunteered at to send them proof that you volunteered at their location?

Also the clinic I am volunteering at is a Chiropractic clinic, with Progressive Rehabilitation in it. I will be volunteering at the progressive rehab outpatient clinic. They do more orthopedic type of treatments. The person that works there told me that progressive rehab is the same as physical therapy. They use the same equipment (they had a lot of the same equipment that a PT clinic would have) and techniques to help treat patients. They said they do not just treat patients with back pain during progressive rehab.

3) Will this count when I apply to PT school for volunteer hours? I know it is a chiropractic clinic but since it has progressive rehab, I figured it would count. This is also another reason why I am confused about the volunteer application process...

Please help, I am really confused about all this and how this works. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It should count as volunteer hours as long as you are working with an actual PT and not a chiro or anyone else. I only applied via PTCAS and they had you fill out a form with the # of hours and kind of clinic (outpatient, inpatient, peds, geriatric, neuro, etc) and have it signed by the PT with their license # to verify. I had two places that kept track of the hours and told me them, the other place I asked the PT how to keep track and just kept a sheet with the days, hours and totals that she looked at before filling out the form. So, just let the PT know you'll need that eventually and ask how they'd like you to do it. Good luck!