Question about working memory tests...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am conducting a systematic review, and do not know if I could for instance compare two groups that measure working memory via different tests, i.e. Digit span backward versus Letter Number Sequencing? Or do I have to ensure that all WM measurements use the same test?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are really few "absolute" rules when it comes to these things. They purport to measure the same thing but obviously involve (somewhat) different cognitive processes. Were this a quantitative review (meta-analysis), you would most likely just code it and test for differences. In this context, what you just describe is essentially just going to be a judgment call and reviewers may agree or disagree.

Were it me, I'd certainly record it and keep track, keep it in the back of my head when assimilating results but collapse them together under a subheading unless I saw something to suggest there were differences.

There are really few "absolute" rules when it comes to these things. They purport to measure the same thing but obviously involve (somewhat) different cognitive processes. Were this a quantitative review (meta-analysis), you would most likely just code it and test for differences. In this context, what you just describe is essentially just going to be a judgment call and reviewers may agree or disagree.

Were it me, I'd certainly record it and keep track, keep it in the back of my head when assimilating results but collapse them together under a subheading unless I saw something to suggest there were differences.

Thank you for the response. Yes, it is a meta-analysis. I will speak with one of my college psych professors (I am a neuroscience student so this is territory I am unfamiliar with...).