Question: Apply to a PhD Epi program this year or next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gubbin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggest, I have a question: Apply to a PhD Epi program this year or next?

I made a list and I'm looking for some input from other people. Specifically if my reasons to put off the PhD program are worthy reasons, or I'm just fooling myself by believing it. Some background, moved to a new city 2 months ago for work right after earning my MPH in Epi. I love what I do, but I am a little isolated and I want to do this at at a higher capacity, thus as a PhD.

Reasons why this year:

1. I have been looking at admissions this year a lot. If I get in next year, I will get out 1 year sooner.
2. The experience of a PhD program will dwarf all of my previous experience.
3. My 2nd year at work, will not add a lot of real knowledge to my management and methods skills.
4. My professors still remember me vividly from my masters program—they would act as fantastic references.
5. My location: I wish to get back to the east coast.

Reasons why next year:
1. People (on average) have the most amount of wealth when they reach 60. So what if you wait one year?
2. I HAVE a job, if I apply next year I will have 2 years experience going into a PhD program.
3. I am currently working with SAS, creating macros and managing data. Millions of records per year of data and this is for medical research. This is great experience that will help my application aka land me in a better school. What is it saying if I apply out after only a few months of work?
4. I am working with multiple researchers. I can diversify my references this way (a few MDs and a professor / supervisor who can speak to my work ethic and abilities).
5. If I wait a year, I’ll be able to discuss experiences with more complicated datasets that I have yet to use (databases on drug use).
6. If I wait, I’ll have publications on my CV. From my grad work and from my present work.

Thoughts? I could wait until this October and talk to people at the APHA (I'm presenting a poster) and then apply right after if my mind is made up. But I was really banking off of the early admission to smooth my way into a program (ie apply in Aug/Sept verses Nov/Dec). Am I trying to over prepare a bit much? I really want to get myself into very competitive PhD programs and get funding.

tldnr; Epi MPH thinking about PhD. Go next year, or gain more work experience + publications?

Members don't see this ad.

Reasons why this year:

1. I have been looking at admissions this year a lot. If I get in next year, I will get out 1 year sooner.
2. The experience of a PhD program will dwarf all of my previous experience.
3. My 2nd year at work, will not add a lot of real knowledge to my management and methods skills.
4. My professors still remember me vividly from my masters program—they would act as fantastic references.
5. My location: I wish to get back to the east coast.

tldnr; Epi MPH thinking about PhD. Go next year, or gain more work experience + publications?

2. Isn't that the entire point of attaining more training? Not sure how this is a pro considering that it's a matter of starting this year or next.

4. Could you not have professors write letters and have it stored on something like Interfolio (see link)?

I say apply now and see what happens. There's always next year to apply again if you're not happy with your choices :)