Question: best written board review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blinky_1

Blinky
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to know what everyone thought is the best board review book, course, or method. I'm a CA-3 and I have a few months before taking the written boards. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you have been on top of your reading for the last 3+ years, you should be more than good. Your in training exam results should be the litmus of how prepared you should be for the exam.

I'm not using any review. I'm using Big blue (which I have been using for the last year) and ACE questions.

The quick and dirty method. Go over your most recent ITE keywords and write detailed explanations to all your keywords. Openanesthesia.org helps with this. Excellent resource for written boards as they have various detailed explanations to keywords from last 5-6 ITE's or so.

Once that is done, it is question time. Keep doing questions. Hall and ACE questions were the best resources IMO. You will then start to glance at questions and recognize what keyword they are asking about immediately. You will be amazed at how many questions on the real thing are a reflection of this year's ITE. I was.

Begin thinking about those lists you need to make of things you can never remember long term. Try and make them here and there in the next few months and then just stare at them constantly as the test gets closer.

List examples:
Physiologic differences associated with:
-Age, obesity, pregnancy, Neonates
Lab values (FeNa, UrNa, Ur Specific gravity) for
-prerenal vs renal oliguria
Mech of action of all the diuretics
ABG in
-Neonates (birth, hr, day, 7 days), pregnancy, COPD, etc
Flow volume loops in intrathotacic vs extrathoracic obstructions
Pressure volume loops in AS, MS, AR, MR
PFTs in obstructive vs restrictive
You can make several lists on blood products and transfusion. There can be so many questions on transfusion medicine, it's ridiculous. I have a whole set of self-made index cards just on that.
-Monitors, machine, VA facts you think you need to remember.

You see on the real thing you could probably figure out which pressure volume graph is AS, but it might take you 3 minutes to figure out which direction is systole and so on. That is time wasted. You want to see that question and have that picture from your list imprinted in your mind ready to go so you can answer that question in 5 seconds and save precious time and move on.

Lastly, go over the openanesthesia.org keyword section on statistics a few days before the test. This is a way to maybe get 3-4 more questions right on real exam. Power, type I vs II error, Sensitivity vs Specificity, positive vs negative predictive value, etc. If you don't spend an hour or so reviewing statistics, then you are likely guessing on 3-4 questions come exam day. Spend an hour reviewing stats the night before the test, and you are likely going to answer all 3-4 stat questions correctly in one minute time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I have some friends that are using big blue but I'm worried it's outdated since the website seems like it was last updated in the 90's. There is a product for sale that shows a cassette tape in the picture (written lock & load). Also, I was thinking of getting the new Faust book for a quick overview of key topics but the release date got delayed for some reason. I agree that doing questions and looking over keywords is essential. Openanesthesia is a great resource

Baby Miller, retired ITE questions on the ASA website, ACE program.

Big Blue is good but I don't think it is worth the cost over Baby Miller.

I would add the M5 boards review to your study. I thought it was awesome for the ITE. I know I'll be using it next year too.

I would add the M5 boards review to your study. I thought it was awesome for the ITE. I know I'll be using it next year too.

I agree, I thought the M5 was awesome for the ITE. Definitely will be using it throughout this year.

Sorry to rehash this question. From reading above it sounds like most people like old ITE questions, ACE questions, Baby Miller, Hall, M5 Qbank (love it), Faust etc. My program gives us some cash to pay for a review course. I have been googling courses and there are a plethora. I am considering doing Jensen in June. I have heard mixed reviews, some people love it while others hate it. It's a lot to spend. Should I just get Big Blue (New 2014 version) instead of going to course, do both, or do another course all together. I know people love the Ho oral board review but I don't think he has a written course. I generally benefit from sit down courses but would probably be open to online courses or DVDs. Any suggestions are very much appreciated, while have done well on my ITEs and AKTs, I am still nervous about the boards.

Preparing for Canadian boards here (which sadly are a different beast) and to break up studying I have been doing questions in Hall and M5 but have also been using a relatively new board review book: http://www.amazon.com/Anesthesiology-Comprehensive-Primary-Maintenance-Certification/dp/0199733856

It has explanations and overall I think it's quite good but some chapters are certainly better than others. In any case, it's probably more useful for you guys preparing for the US boards. It's good for covering basics and core content I think but unfortunately our boards have historically drawn much of their questions from minutiae buried in Miller, Barash, Cote or Chestnut. Bread and butter content questions are gimmes and sadly few and far between...ok that's my vent. Back to Miller.

Preparing for Canadian boards here (which sadly are a different beast) and to break up studying I have been doing questions in Hall and M5 but have also been using a relatively new board review book: http://www.amazon.com/Anesthesiology-Comprehensive-Primary-Maintenance-Certification/dp/0199733856

It has explanations and overall I think it's quite good but some chapters are certainly better than others. In any case, it's probably more useful for you guys preparing for the US boards. It's good for covering basics and core content I think but unfortunately our boards have historically drawn much of their questions from minutiae buried in Miller, Barash, Cote or Chestnut. Bread and butter content questions are gimmes and sadly few and far between...ok that's my vent. Back to Miller.

Thanks for your input, appreciate it. Another book that people seems to like for US exam is
Anesthesiology Board Review Pearls of Wisdom 3/E (Pearls of Wisdom Medicine). I was also wondering if anyone has purchased online courses or DVDs and liked any particular ones. Thanks

Baby Miller, Hall (iPad app is nice), ACE questions, and old ITE questions = win. Repetition is key. Start preparing early. No worries, dude.