Question comparing VCOM VA and CC for rotations and living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was originally planning on applying to both of the VCOM's (VA and CC) but recently found out that you only apply to one. I am trying to decide which one would be better to apply to in my particular situation.

I did a quick search but found nothing on whether one has different strengths or weaknesses over the other? I figure they pretty much share most rotations, but it seems that a lot of their shared rotations are actually in the carolinas anyways, so maybe the CC would be better (for stability of living sake)? Also I know my wife will be looking for work and I am discouraged by the whole college town thing with the VA campus, since I personally have friend's spouses who have had trouble getting jobs in these types of places. The Carolina campus seems a little better for my situation since it has a lot of normal towns nearby, and isnt just a college town in the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone have any experience or information on this type of situation?

Members don't see this ad.

There are rotations that are traditionally "SC" or "VA", but when it comes time to select your core site, you can choose sites across campuses. It's just an extra step in the process.

As far as work for your spouse, it definitely depends on what kind of job she's looking for. There are always jobs at VT with good pay and fantastic benefits, and if she's in healthcare both Carilion and the Lewis-Gale system are constantly hiring people. IT / Advertising are pretty huge in Blacksburg as well. If she's in something like finance/accounting, that's a little harder.

There are rotations that are traditionally "SC" or "VA", but when it comes time to select your core site, you can choose sites across campuses. It's just an extra step in the process.

As far as work for your spouse, it definitely depends on what kind of job she's looking for. There are always jobs at VT with good pay and fantastic benefits, and if she's in healthcare both Carilion and the Lewis-Gale system are constantly hiring people. IT / Advertising are pretty huge in Blacksburg as well. If she's in something like finance/accounting, that's a little harder.
Art therapy/Counseling
Basically everything i have heard, from multiple friends (including several at VT), is that those types of college towns are highly saturated with people who's spouse goes to the school and thus they are looking for work. Have a friend at penn state whose wife has been looking for a teaching job (just at a public school) for almost 2 years.

You brought up another point then. So how do the rotations compare at each campus then? Roughly equivalent? (if you are staying in the area).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't call Blacksburg the middle of nowhere. VT has over 26,000 students. The town has about the same. Roanoke is 45 minutes away tops.

I wouldn't call Blacksburg the middle of nowhere. VT has over 26,000 students. The town has about the same. Roanoke is 45 minutes away tops.
Not trying to get into semantics man... but all things considered, a town of 26,000 STUDENTS with roughly 14,000 other people is likely not enough to guarantee job opportunities for my wife. Most places I have been looking are like 200K+ people (MUCOM, PCOM, NOVA, CCOM, etc). If you are talking population of the town and surrounding communities within a 45 min drive, then the Carolina campus wins out (roughly 120K people). But if there is some other reason to go to the Virginia campus over the Carolina campus, I am very interested to know.

Art therapy/Counseling
Basically everything i have heard, from multiple friends (including several at VT), is that those types of college towns are highly saturated with people who's spouse goes to the school and thus they are looking for work. Have a friend at penn state whose wife has been looking for a teaching job (just at a public school) for almost 2 years.

You brought up another point then. So how do the rotations compare at each campus then? Roughly equivalent? (if you are staying in the area).

Yeah I can't tell you what kind of job prospects she'll have in that field.

As far as the rotations, I'm just finishing up second year so anything I tell you now would all be 2nd/3rd hand. But it does appear that there is a wide variety, with some options in very large hospitals in populated areas to very rural areas (keep in mind the school's mission). Each will have benefits and drawbacks (i.e. the smaller hospitals you may get to do more procedures since you won't be competing with residents, while at larger hospitals you will see more of the uncommon pathologies). I am staying in the area because my wife does have a good job.

Not trying to get into semantics man... but all things considered, a town of 26,000 STUDENTS with roughly 14,000 other people is likely not enough to guarantee job opportunities for my wife. Most places I have been looking are like 200K+ people (MUCOM, PCOM, NOVA, CCOM, etc). If you are talking population of the town and surrounding communities within a 45 min drive, then the Carolina campus wins out (roughly 120K people). But if there is some other reason to go to the Virginia campus over the Carolina campus, I am very interested to know.

Personally both my wife and I prefer the smaller population, fantastic nature setting, and the weather compared to SC. But it sounds like the SC campus is more suited to your needs.

Well, obviously it's less populated when you compare it to schools in the most populated cities in the country. There are many DO schools that are really in the middle of nowhere (i.e. it's the only educational institution there, the town draws a lot of its revenue from these institutions, etc.). That said, I wouldn't say there's anything special about the Virginia campus that you couldn't find anywhere else. Don't get me wrong, it's a good school, but all things considered, it seems like you should apply to schools in locations where the jobs are.

I applied to VCOM-VC and I believe that I had the option to apply to both campuses. There was initially a problem with AAOMAS but that was fixed and I got an email offering me the chance to apply to the other campus. If it helps, apply to both and decide after interviewing.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So I was originally planning on applying to both of the VCOM's (VA and CC) but recently found out that you only apply to one. I am trying to decide which one would be better to apply to in my particular situation.

I did a quick search but found nothing on whether one has different strengths or weaknesses over the other? I figure they pretty much share most rotations, but it seems that a lot of their shared rotations are actually in the carolinas anyways, so maybe the CC would be better (for stability of living sake)? Also I know my wife will be looking for work and I am discouraged by the whole college town thing with the VA campus, since I personally have friend's spouses who have had trouble getting jobs in these types of places. The Carolina campus seems a little better for my situation since it has a lot of normal towns nearby, and isnt just a college town in the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone have any experience or information on this type of situation?
I am looking at the CC myself and liked the fact it was close to Greenville and only about 70 miles from Charlotte NC, I am in NC and hope to stay in this state or SC

I am looking at the CC myself and liked the fact it was close to Greenville and only about 70 miles from Charlotte NC, I am in NC and hope to stay in this state or SC
Yea the fact is that VC (while being super solid) is just not close to any major cities. I think for money sake I have decided to take my VC campus off. I do not think I would go there simply based on location, even if I was accepted.

Yea the fact is that VC (while being super solid) is just not close to any major cities. I think for money sake I have decided to take my VC campus off. I do not think I would go there simply based on location, even if I was accepted.
Here's something to consider as well. Spartanburg is rural, and there's only a small college to bring in a crowd different to it's indigenous population. There are mandatory lectures at VCOM, so I don't think it'd be feasible to live in Charlotte as it is a good hour+ away (more with traffic). Spartanburg is dirt cheap though, so there's another factor.

Here's something to consider as well. Spartanburg is rural, and there's only a small college to bring in a crowd different to it's indigenous population. There are mandatory lectures at VCOM, so I don't think it'd be feasible to live in Charlotte as it is a good hour+ away (more with traffic). Spartanburg is dirt cheap though, so there's another factor.
How are the apartments there?

Are you still thinking about CUSOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea but if I lived 20-30 min away from the campus and then my wife was to drive 20-30 min away in the opposite direction, to the nearest city (sort of find a middle ground) between the campus and a bigger town. That would work out. No matter how I try and manage it, I do not think that would even be possible with the VC. Its like JUST the town and then mountains... which dont get me wrong, I love the town and I love the mountains, but my lady friend wants to work heh. I mean even just between greenville and spartansburg alone you are at like 100K people, which is like 2x what Blacksburg is... and neither of them are college towns so job hunting should be easier.

Are you still thinking about CUSOM?
Absolutely, I just keep hearing more and more good things about CUSOM. I am a little discouraged that the campus is literally in the middle of nowhere, like in the middle of a field. But there is word that they are going to start making more residencies of their own soon and such, so thats really good news. My list probably goes something like this:
PCOM-PA>ROWAN>MUCOM>CUSOM=DMU> the rest of my list... I want to put CCOM higher in that list, but dangit the cost is just enormous. I also keep hearing amazing things about DMU and the area is amazing for families. But it is actually even farther from home than I live now... it is sort of going in the opposite direction that I want to be heading (east coast/Appalachia). But I just cant find any fault in how solid the program is there.

How are the apartments there?
They are decent. Downtown didn't seem that dangerous to me but I guess a lot of people are turned away. There's some nicer apartments there for a fraction what you'd find in any other city. The school is about 4 blocks away. But again, it's rural and it's a historic district.

yea but if I lived 20-30 min away from the campus and then my wife was to drive 20-30 min away in the opposite direction, to the nearest city (sort of find a middle ground) between the campus and a bigger town. That would work out. No matter how I try and manage it, I do not think that would even be possible with the VC. Its like JUST the town and then mountains... which dont get me wrong, I love the town and I love the mountains, but my lady friend wants to work heh. I mean even just between greenville and spartansburg alone you are at like 100K people, which is like 2x what Blacksburg is... and neither of them are college towns so job hunting should be easier.
Yes that makes sense. Apply to OUHCOM as well. You can have Cleveland and Columbus to choose from.

Absolutely, I just keep hearing more and more good things about CUSOM. I am a little discouraged that the campus is literally in the middle of nowhere, like in the middle of a field. But there is word that they are going to start making more residencies of their own soon and such, so thats really good news. My list probably goes something like this:
PCOM-PA>ROWAN>MUCOM>CUSOM=DMU> the rest of my list... I want to put CCOM higher in that list, but dangit the cost is just enormous.
I went to a event there and really loved the school and even though it is in the middle of nowhere you can find places pretty inexpensive to live I am like 20 minutes away from the school and hoping I have a chance.

They are decent. Downtown didn't seem that dangerous to me but I guess a lot of people are turned away. There's some nicer apartments there for a fraction what you'd find in any other city. The school is about 4 blocks away. But again, it's rural and it's a historic district.
Thank you

Yes that makes sense. Apply to OUHCOM as well. You can have Cleveland and Columbus to choose from.
For the past 9 months I have added OUCOM to my list, then taken it off, then added it again, then taken it off... I am a little discouraged by the 5 year contract and also by how few slots they have for OOS students (which I would be), so my shot would likely be more slim at gaining an acceptance. But again, it is an amazing program with an incredible reputation and alumni base. I am definitely still sitting on the edge on that one. I need to find something to really push my reasoning over the edge and convince me to apply.

Having never gone through an application cycle before, I really just dont know how schools will perceive my application. I dont even know if I am applying to too many or too few schools...

Having never gone through an application cycle before, I really just dont know how schools will perceive my application. I dont even know if I am applying to too many or too few schools...
I am wishing you the best in this cycle and I feel the same about where to apply

Anyone know about how each does with matching or board scores?

Stats, ECs? I think as a rule of thumb, you should just apply to as many as possible and shed some of those if you're given the opportunity later on. I also did not know what to expect, and I ended up getting interviews everywhere I applied. I also ended up choosing a school I did not put serious thought into prior to applying, so with that I'd say go on as many interviews as possible.

Stats, ECs?
3.6 sgpa/cgpa
28 MCAT (9,9,10)
graduated a year ago, so I have been working in research at a medical school
like 3000-4000 hours of research experience
worked as a medical assistant for a few months
pretty average volunteer experiences, few hundred hours over a couple years helping out at homeless shelters
average shadowing (DO mostly), like 80 hours total over a couple specialties. Got a DO letter out of it.
Couple presentations of research, one at the medical school I work at, one at the american chemical society national meeting, a couple smaller ones at various colleges. Sadly no pubs...
Wisconsin resident, but I only moved here a year ago, born and raised in Maryland
Some other various smaller volunteer and leadership stuff, but nothing terribly crazy.

Was thinking of applying to roughly 10-12 schools.. trying to narrow it down from this list:
DMUCOM (Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
PCOM (Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine)
CCOM (Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine)
MUCOM (Marian)
ACOM (Alabama college of osteopathic medicine
KCUMB
NOVA
Rowan (jersey)
UNECOM (New England)
VCOM-CC
cambell university osteopathic (CUSOM)
OUCOM

Is this even enough schools? Too many with my stats? I figure I am about average so I figured I would apply to an average number of schools haha.

I received the financial assistance waiver for this cycle. So I figure primaries and secondaries shouldnt be too bad? I only have enough money for maybe 3 flights (from Milwaukee).
I can drive to interviews at DMU, CCOM, MUCOM. I absolutely will put a flight in for PCOM. But otherwise its a roll of the dice on who would even interview me and the timing of it all...

I guess if there were any schools I would drop it would be OUCOM (still figuring it out), NOVA, KCUMB, UNECOM (maybe... I really love Maine, I worked there for a summer in college), VCOM-CC. CCOM is unlikely as well simply because of the cost...

Last edited:
3.6 sgpa/cgpa
28 MCAT (9,9,10)
graduated a year ago, so I have been working in research at a medical school
like 3000-4000 hours of research experience
worked as a medical assistant for a few months
pretty average volunteer experiences, few hundred hours over a couple years helping out at homeless shelters
average shadowing (DO mostly), like 80 hours total over a couple specialties. Got a DO letter out of it.
Couple presentations of research, one at the medical school I work at, one at the american chemical society national meeting, a couple smaller ones at various colleges. Sadly no pubs...
Wisconsin resident, but I only moved here a year ago, born and raised in Maryland
Some other various smaller volunteer and leadership stuff, but nothing terribly crazy.

Was thinking of applying to roughly 10-12 schools.. trying to narrow it down from this list:
DMUCOM (Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
PCOM (Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine)
CCOM (Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine)
MUCOM (Marian)
ACOM (Alabama college of osteopathic medicine
KCUMB
NOVA
Rowan (jersey)
UNECOM (New England)
VCOM-CC
cambell university osteopathic (CUSOM)
OUCOM

Is this even enough schools? Too many with my stats? I figure I am about average so I figured I would apply to an average number of schools haha.

I received the financial assistance waiver for this cycle. So I figure primaries and secondaries shouldnt be too bad? I only have enough money for maybe 3 flights (from Milwaukee).
I can drive to interviews at DMU, CCOM, MUCOM. I absolutely will put a flight in for PCOM. But otherwise its a roll of the dice on who would even interview me and the timing of it all...

Last edited:
A man/woman of few words haha...
haha you seem to have good stats have you considered LECOM? I had a few people mention it to me but agree costs of getting to schools weigh in alot for me

I should add that I am applying day one. I just received confirmation that my final transcript got to AACOMAS this morning. The rest of my application is basically ready. Pretty much just waiting for June 3rd to hit the submit button. I dont know if this changes/helps anything, especially at those schools that have low OOS acceptances (OUCOM comes to mind).

haha you seem to have good stats have you considered LECOM? I had a few people mention it to me but agree costs of getting to schools weigh in alot for me
I am not into PBL, and I am not into the Erie campus for the normal program, for reasons mentioned in the rest of this thread (need to be within 1 hour of 200K people if possible for my wife's work). Otherwise its a swell deal price wise, and it is close to my home state of Maryland, so I couldnt complain.

I am not into PBL, and I am not into the Erie campus for the normal program, for reasons mentioned in the rest of this thread (need to be within 1 hour of 200K people if possible for my wife's work). Otherwise its a swell deal price wise, and it is close to my home state of Maryland, so I couldnt complain.
I am from MD myself and really hoping to stay in NC or go to SC because it feels like home and really liked the schools

I am from MD myself and really hoping to stay in NC or go to SC because it feels like home and really liked the schools
Yea I am pretty much happy anywhere within 1 hour of the Appalachian mountain range. So pretty much SC to Maine. The thing is there are some really really outstanding schools in the midwest too... OUCOM, MUCOM, DMU, CCOM.... I would definitely take one of those schools if they were offering me admission, and if I did not get into a solid school on the east coast.

Now lets say I get into like DMU and then CUSOM.... well that is when trouble begins to arise heh... DMU is an old school with an awesome reputation and rotations and proven track record of placing students where they want to go. But its in Iowa... its in a fantastic part of Iowa, but still Iowa (so not a mountain range). CUSOM on the other hand is hugging the mountains and environmentally I feel more at home, but they are newer and dont carry the same weight behind their name. But at the same time, they are definitely doing things right, really investing in the program and working on making it a major contender - I like that. So needless to say, I am very excited for a couple months from now when I start having a better idea of where I will be ending up.

I really liked CUSOM and there is alot to do here and apartments are not so $$ depending on what you want if you decided on CUSOM I can tell you some better areas to live in

I would absolutely keep OUCOM on your list. It'll be cheap to apply since you were approved for the fee waivers and you can wait and see if you get an interview before you make any decisions about traveling. There is a strong IS bias, but you have great stats and ECs. You also have an interest in Appalachia which will appeal to them.

This is just my opinion, and I'm obviously biased, but let me know if you have any more questions about it!