Question: Credentials of LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvo21

Wisconsin c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope there hasn't been thread similar to this one. If so, sorry for reposting :(. I just had a question regarding how much the credentials of the writer of letter of recommendation matters...I always thought that they should have some higher degree of education beyond a B.S. (But that's just my random assumption). I've seen some successful applicants that have LORs from high school teachers. I recently interned at the zoo and I was thinking about asking the other intern I worked with for a letter of rec. I was just there for the semester, while she had been interning at the zoo for a year and also worked as a keeper. Is she qualified? What makes someone qualified to write a letter of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the degree of the letter writer matters unless they specify (like a DVM.)

For my LOR's I had a DVM, a professor, a zookeeper (who I don't actually know if she has a degree or not,) and a horse trainer (who has no degree of any kind.)

I do however think that a fellow intern is probably not the best choice, a superior would be best. Even if she has been there longer than you, unless she was your supervisor, it may come across that you were just asking your friends, and I think that it is important to present strong, professional references.

Those are just my thoughts however, nothing I read during the application process really addressed this.

Good Luck!

3 points I would like to make
1) The VMCAS LOR specifically asks the group that the applicant is being compared to (or at least it did a few years ago), so to some extent, a professor comparing you to 1000s of students over his career may be more impressive than the breeder comparing you to the 3 vets she knows (random examples).
2) Humans being humans, a higher degree will usually impress a little more than someone without in academia. Just a fact of life.
3) Having said all that, the best LOR is from someone who can point out how you stand out and will distinguish you from all the other applicants out there. Dr. XYX DVM, Phd ,etc etc recommendatin is not so impressive when he calls you just a good candidate and capable of advanced study.... even if he is a nobel prize winner. On the other hand, if he/she says you fit right in academically with his fell nobel prize winners then WIN WIN!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for reference: I had 4 LORS this year ranging all over the board
1. DVM/Phd/DipAct -research boss that introduced me to LAs
2. Phd Head of Biomedical Science Dept.- research boss (we worked with human tissue, also head of my college)
3. B.S.- Physics prof.
4. Associates- founder and head of a dog reascue I worked for

I had two LORs from people without post-graduate education and I got interviews for/ accepted at all but one of the universities I applied to (darn you Davis!). I think it just goes to show that what the LORs have to say about you matters more than their education. However I did have some big guns at the college write me LORs too, so maybe a good mix helps the adcoms get a good view of who you are.

thanks for the feedback everyone! I guess I just want a letter of rec from someone from the zoo to show that aspect of my experience. But I think someone with lesser credentials that knows you better and can a lot of good things about you >> someone with higher credentials that doesn't know much about you.

thanks for the feedback everyone! I guess I just want a letter of rec from someone from the zoo to show that aspect of my experience. But I think someone with lesser credentials that knows you better and can a lot of good things about you >> someone with higher credentials that doesn't know much about you.
I want to say, however, that grad students/peer LORs don't really do much for the adcoms.

I think it's totally fine to have someone with lesser credentials (esp in fields where it's not expected of people to have doctorates and such), but I would stay away from getting a LOR from peers unless you were someone of high management position yourself. You don't want anyone to suspect that you had a BFF write one for you. Maybe you won't, but I wouldn't risk the credibility factor if I were you.