Question for athletes with many awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah..for all you athletes who have lots of wins in something i.e. martial arts tournaments like myself, how would you list these? Should I list each tournament win as a separate award under the Work Experiences, or possibly put "Martial Arts Competitions" under extracurricular and just list my awards within the "Describe your experience" space? I'm leaning toward the latter simply because I have quite a few...and to med schools it might not even constitute an "award," though its something special to me. Hahah, well thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure what I would do in that case. Maybe only list the ones that were really big or something. I have quite a few athletic awards that I listed, but they were all different. All-Conference, MVP, Most Improved, Academic All-America, stuff like that. I guess it's kind of different if each award is basically for the same thing--winning a tournament. Even though each tournament is definitely a different and individual achievement, I imagine it won't mean much more to an ADCOM to see a bunch of tournament victories listed than it would to see one listed. I would definitely include the fact that you won at these tournaments and not just that martial arts is a hobby, because I'm sure excellence is appreciated more than participation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would lump them together so that you had something to talk about during an interview - but that is just my vote (which is rather meaningless since I am just an applicant as well lol)

This too is my cross to bear...
I put my participation in the sport as an activity, years played and the W-L record stuff in there, and then awards I received as an individual in a separate "awards" category, and listed them all together.

Listing them all separately seemed redundant and took up valuable space, but just putting them under the activity seemed to bury them.

Smoke and mirrors baby. Eventually I'll trick someone into letting me into medical school.

Cool guys! Thanks for all your help...I put them under honors/awards and listed the date of the first award(I started from 2004 because going further back would be just tooo many). From there on in the "experience" space I just listed other tournament wins and some extra needed info.

Man, I hate this duMGB ABPPLCIAVAITON

unfrozencaveman said:
This too is my cross to bear...
I put my participation in the sport as an activity, years played and the W-L record stuff in there, and then awards I received as an individual in a separate "awards" category, and listed them all together.

Listing them all separately seemed redundant and took up valuable space, but just putting them under the activity seemed to bury them.

Smoke and mirrors baby. Eventually I'll trick someone into letting me into medical school.

For a most excellent avatar pic, I salute you!! Caveman Lawyer rules!

Cool guys! Thanks for all your help...I put them under honors/awards and listed the date of the first award(I started from 2004 because going further back would be just tooo many). From there on in the "experience" space I just listed other tournament wins and some extra needed info.

Man, I hate this duMGB ABPPLCIAVAITON

Thanks. Somehow I simultaneously had questions about the MCAT and was watching an old SNL, and landed on SDN with only one idea for a screenname...

I'm glad it amuses. Plus everyone thinks I'm a dude, which is funny.