Question For Current Audiology Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0U1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do you go to school at?

What type of variety do you have week to week?

How challenging are your classes?

Are you Sastified with your education?

What is the most unique case you've seen?

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you go to school at?
I am a student at the University of Memphis about to finish my third year

What type of variety do you have week to week?
Early in the program I had mostly classes and observed clinic, followed by in-house clinicals, and since then I have slowly gone towards less class and more clinic along with a research project.

Currently, I have two traditional classes, one independent reading and my research project. I am in clinic at a hospital setting 2 days a week and also run the Audiologic Rehab Group.

How challenging are your classes?
Early in the program when I was learning the basic sciences classes were much more intensive. Now the classes focus on honing in skills and proper counseling, etc. so they are 'what you make of them.' Personally, I have found them very helpful but also hard due to the fact that I have looked very hard at my strengths and weaknesses, which can be a difficult process. In short, I have had no shortage of stress... Programs differ but UM has written and oral comprehensive exams during the third year and research presentations at the end of the third year. They were stressful and terrifying, but afterward I had learned and integrated so much information, it was well worth it.

Are you Sastified with your education?
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I am confident in my skills, looking forward to honing them in my 4th year, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the relationships I have formed with students and faculty alike. I feel as prepared as I could considering I am facing a 4 month break between stopping classes and starting my 4th year.

What is the most unique case you've seen?
Can't answer this one, but I have had opportunities to see children at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, other hospitals, ENTs, Private Practices, and Community outreach centers. The most interesting clients have not been crazy medically, more amazing in the sense that they have persevered through amazing circumstances... sounds corny but it's true.

Can't answer this one, but I have had opportunities to see children at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, other hospitals, ENTs, Private Practices, and Community outreach centers. The most interesting clients have not been crazy medically, more amazing in the sense that they have persevered through amazing circumstances... sounds corny but it's true.
Thank You! so you didn't get to take part in clinics your first year? Where do you plan to work for your 4th yr Externship?

p.s. Hopefully this thread starts to take off so we can hear about everyone's experiences!!