Question for Current UMaryland Baltimore Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPThopeful2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

I have a few questions for current UMD PT Students- Did you have any non-PT related volunteer hours? Did you have a LOR from that experience? What did you do for your volunteering (non-trads specifically)? I am part of a running club, do you think I could use volunteering as a pace coach as volunteer work (its not exactly "service")?

I am a non-traditional student applying in the next round for fall 2016 admission. I would really like to go to UMD in Baltimore, but I am worried about these non-pt related volunteer hours. Between now and applying I need to be finishing my observation hours, taking the GRE, taking A&P1 and 2, Physics 1&2 and potentially taking another psychology class (I have intro psych, intro sociology, and adolescent development- no abnormal psych), AND working full time. I am a teacher, so I do have the summer off to take classes and get some more observation hours, but I am not sure if I can really fit in these volunteer hours (meaningfully).

I have an undergrad degree in biology from UMD CP with cumulative GPA 3.8 and a pre-req GPA around there as well. I anticipate my GRE scores will be around average or maybe a bit above average- I took a practice test (I know that doesn't mean anything) with 154 Quant and 162 Verbal. No idea about writing section.

Do any current UMD students have experience with this? Do you think my application will be strong without the volunteer hours? Could I get a LOR from my job or another PT instead?

Thank you!

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to reply all!

Members don't see this ad.