Question for current WesternU and UC Davis students! (Or recent grads)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonah93

UC Davis SVM c/o 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm happy to say that I got accepted to both WesternU and UC Davis DVM programs for the class of 2019! However, this leaves me with a big decision that I have to make. I was wondering if any current WesternU and UC Davis students could tell me what you like and/or what you don't like about the respective school you are attending. The prestige associated with UC Davis is pretty attractive, but also when I toured the campus the facilities were so incredibly beautiful and the resources there were incredible (not saying that WesternU doesn't have amazing facilities and resources). However, WesternU has a very very attractive curriculum (not saying that Davis doesn't) particularly because I don't quite enjoy the didactic aspects of education, and the PBL model of Western seems very appealing to me. However (again), I understand that Davis revamped its curriculum and is incorporating more and more aspects of self directed learning through problem solving, etc. etc. I can keep on going back and forth like this, so basically, long story short, both programs seem extremely attractive to me (cost isn't a deciding factor for me), and I just want some opinions from current students about their respective school and what they like and/or don't like about the program they're attending. (Sorry for reiterating). Also, I really do not want this to turn into a UC Davis vs WesternU thread (I've seen a couple of these in the past). This post is just for me to get other people's opinions on their programs and help me make a decision.

Also, my apologies if there was already a thread like this already made. If this is the case I would greatly appreciate being directed to it!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a WesternU student, but I'm under the impression that UCD is a lot cheaper, even if you're an out of state student. You say that cost isn't a deciding factor for you, but I feel like it should be the main deciding factor. You'll get a quality education from any accredited vet school.

I'm a WesternU student, but I'm under the impression that UCD is a lot cheaper, even if you're an out of state student. You say that cost isn't a deciding factor for you, but I feel like it should be the main deciding factor. You'll get a quality education from any accredited vet school.

Could you tell me what you like and/or don't like about the program you're attending?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you tell me what you like and/or don't like about the program you're attending?
I don't like the distance from home. I'm super jealous of the kids that drive an hour to go home. Other than that, I don't have any real complaints about the school. If I do, they're the same at any vet school, really.
I like PBL, I love my professors, I like the clubs we have. I love our clinical skills class and the opportunities we're given. The weather is fantastic and as much as people like to talk about how awful Pomona is, it really isn't. Plus it's close to LA, Hollywood, major beaches, Claremont, Montclair... there's a little bit for everyone relatively close by.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't like the distance from home. I'm super jealous of the kids that drive an hour to go home. Other than that, I don't have any real complaints about the school. If I do, they're the same at any vet school, really.
I like PBL, I love my professors, I like the clubs we have. I love our clinical skills class and the opportunities we're given. The weather is fantastic and as much as people like to talk about how awful Pomona is, it really isn't. Plus it's close to LA, Hollywood, major beaches, Claremont, Montclair... there's a little bit for everyone relatively close by.

Thanks for the insight!

When I visited Western, I didn't see a lot of local/close-by grocery shopping. I know this might seem minor, but I probably won't have a car out there. So basically what I'm asking is where the closest grocery store is and if you think you *need* to have a car when you attend Western!

Thank you! :)

When I visited Western, I didn't see a lot of local/close-by grocery shopping. I know this might seem minor, but I probably won't have a car out there. So basically what I'm asking is where the closest grocery store is and if you think you *need* to have a car when you attend Western!

Thank you! :)
Whether or not you *need* a car depends on how willing you are to ask others for favors and how good you are at making friends. We do have off-campus rotations as early as the first week of school. Stater Bros is within walking distance of school and it's one of the more affordable grocery stores. I shop at Winco Foods because it's cheaper and you would need a car from school to get there or you could take the bus. Where are you planning on living, if you don't have a car?