question for other Non-Trad Pre-Med Students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHCMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok...how do you deal with all the negative threads in this forum...:confused:

No you're too old...No, your GPA is too low...No, you don't have the experience...:mad:

I mean really man, if I listened to all the nay-sayers, I might as well quit while I'm ahead...I'm not listening of course...and I certainly ain't gonna quit...

but really...guys...can't y'all offer us Non-Trads a slight little glimmer of Hope?

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

If medicine is what you want to do, then go for it. In the end, you make yourself as competitive as you can and submit your application. If you take everything "to heart" that you read on a public message board, then your are going to have a difficult time entering any profession. In the end, you have to figure out what you want and do it. There are no guarantees for anyone other that if you don't apply, you won't get in.

Since no one has a perfect "crystal ball", why are you even wasting time dealing with what a stranger who couldn't possibly know you, says about your chances of doing anything. I went through medical school, general surgery residency and fellowship starting school at age 46. I have a stone normal IQ of 100 and am nothing special other than being an excellent student. If I can do it, anyone can do this.

Only you know what you have and what you are capable of accomplishing. If you allow others to dictate your life, it won't be your life. Set you eyes on your goals and get them done. There is nothing sweeter than success in the face of negativity. Good luck.

No you're too old...No, your GPA is too low...No, you don't have the experience...:mad:

I mean really man, if I listened to all the nay-sayers, I might as well quit while I'm ahead...I'm not listening of course...and I certainly ain't gonna quit...

but really...guys...can't y'all offer us Non-Trads a slight little glimmer of Hope?

thanks...

Don't take a lot of what you read on these boards about your chances too seriously because most people here are just premeds regurgitating what they heard or read. They claim to be "realistic", but that is the excuse of every cynic. However, a healthy dose of realism is necessary. You don't want to be naive either. But if you are truly certain that medicine is right for you and you are aware of the challenges that lie ahead and the sacrifices required to reach your goal, then go for it.

As Apollo said to Rocky..."Eye of the Tiger."

Members don't see this ad :)
The non-trad forum is actually the most supportive one on all of SDN. But when people ask for advice specific to their situation, they are going to get it straight up.

Some people do come in here with a long background of mistakes that may not be correctable. If that is the case, they will hear about it in here, but hopefully put a tad nicer than in other forums.

Even with all the naysayers, the highest concentrations of cheerleaders for our kind is right here in this room.

a doctor once told me that if you want to go into medicine, you are going to need to develope some thick skin.

many of these people think they know the medical school path, but have no idea how real life works. many get their first w-2 (or similar) at tax time of their PGY-1. I wouldn't let them bother you.

congrats on finding the path you want to go, regardless of age. if you want it, you can get it. good luck.

njbmd

thanks for the advice...

There are no guarantees for anyone other that if you don't apply, you won't get in.

you are absolutely right...I'd rather try and not get in than wonder 'what if?' for the rest of my life...

I went through medical school, general surgery residency and fellowship starting school at age 46. I have a stone normal IQ of 100 and am nothing special other than being an excellent student. If I can do it, anyone can do this.
:thumbup: WOW! KUDOS TO YOU! Congratulations...

Only you know what you have and what you are capable of accomplishing. If you allow others to dictate your life, it won't be your life. Set you eyes on your goals and get them done. There is nothing sweeter than success in the face of negativity. Good luck.

Ok...thanks...I think I just needed to hear some encouraging words to remind me that I can do this.... :xf:

THANK YOU so much :)

But if you are truly certain that medicine is right for you and you are aware of the challenges that lie ahead and the sacrifices required to reach your goal, then go for it.

As Apollo said to Rocky..."Eye of the Tiger."

Hey DocHomer :)

thanks to you too!...

I am truly certain that medicine is right for me...and I am fully aware of the challenges that lie ahead...and of the sacrifices required....

so I'm GOING for it....FULL STEAM AHEAD.....:D

:rolleyes: "Eye of the Tiger" :rolleyes: I love that movie and song :laugh:

The non-trad forum is actually the most supportive one on all of SDN. But when people ask for advice specific to their situation, they are going to get it straight up.

Some people do come in here with a long background of mistakes that may not be correctable. If that is the case, they will hear about it in here, but hopefully put a tad nicer than in other forums.

Even with all the naysayers, the highest concentrations of cheerleaders for our kind is right here in this room.

2008orbust...

yeah...your right...naysayers or cheerleaders...at least it is straight up :)

thanks

a doctor once told me that if you want to go into medicine, you are going to need to develope some thick skin.

Well...I've developed some pretty thick skin thanks to LIFE...so here goes :D

many of these people think they know the medical school path, but have no idea how real life works. many get their first w-2 (or similar) at tax time of their PGY-1. I wouldn't let them bother you.
:laugh: Yeah, your right...real life has got getting into med school beat hands down... :laugh:

congrats on finding the path you want to go, regardless of age. if you want it, you can get it. good luck.
:thumbup: thanks....and good luck to you also... :)

what njbmd said and then.

yes it can seem like that in a certain sense. especially if your application has holes that just aint gonna look cute come sunday no matter what you do.

and then alot of advice like get a new suit...don't come in here lookin like that.

but to be honest if you look at the MSAR book the mathematics of probability are pretty straight forward. that and a spread sheet for your gpa's will put you at a given place in the field.

the rest is what your comfortable with, what you can make happen, and how long you can ride it our in the hot seat. watching your $100 applications float into the void.

what njbmd said and then.

yes it can seem like that in a certain sense. especially if your application has holes that just aint gonna look cute come sunday no matter what you do.

and then alot of advice like get a new suit...don't come in here lookin like that.

but to be honest if you look at the MSAR book the mathematics of probability are pretty straight forward. that and a spread sheet for your gpa's will put you at a given place in the field.

the rest is what your comfortable with, what you can make happen, and how long you can ride it our in the hot seat. watching your $100 applications float into the void.

That's hilarious. :laugh:

As a non-trad, this video was very inspirational:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hakac9NMXw

Change the words from "They said, they said, they said ... you keep talking, I'll keep shooting" to...

"They said, they said, they said ... you keep talking, I'll keep trying."

thanks...

I think the majority of the posters mean well although some come off way too negative in my opinion thus I don't come on here too often. Having said that though remember this is YOUR life, Your dreams...You make it happen and forget all the rest!!