Question for people who have tried Cornell Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LongApple

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading the replies, probably needed to make some things clear.

I'll be testing out some studying styles till I find something I like. Wanted to kick around and discuss some ideas

1. I'm asking about memorization heavy classes (biology related ones and medical classes), not problem set classes like physics

2. Covering stuff up on your classnotes can work if I want to test myself- though there's really no guarantee that the notes will be physically arranged in a way you can cover up just the answers for the term you're testing

I think probably maybe just putting more space between terms and pictures might work out, maybe I'll intentionally start new lines more often so it's easier to physically cover up the answer. I'll try it out vs cornell notes which visually puts terms on the left column. Just a physical arrangement.

3. What are some websites that seem to be popular for finding the best (clearest, have pictures) anki flashcards for memorization heavy biology classes or medical school? I found some by googling, not sure

Maybe reddit's thumbs up system might lead me to some good ones.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just open up a word doc and type your notes and copy pictures as needed? Or just anki. Or just review annotated PowerPoints many times. Or just do as many practice problems where you apply lecture material.

Frankly you need to experiment with different methods and find out what works for you. Some classes are better studied by memorizing discrete facts/pathways (biochem) whereas others simply require conceptual understanding and experience applying (Orgo)

TIL that covering your notes with a piece of paper to create active recall is essentially “Cornell notes” lol

Reactions: 1 user
Focus on understanding most premed subjects (O-Chem, G-Chem, Physics, Biochem), do tons of practice questions. Make good notes, read multiple times. This should easily get you As w/o having to do things that are too fancy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or just do as many practice problems where you apply lecture material.

Off topic question- but in medical school, do professors typically post a bunch of practice problems.

Or people obtain them through other means?

I guess there are probably USMLE test banks but they are not organized by topic

I imagine medical classes are not like problem set classes (physics, orgo)

Just open up a word doc and type your notes and copy pictures as needed?

I'll try typing notes- I hadn't even thought of that since mainly I've been in classes with lots of math/handwriting equations for the past few years.

Maybe I'll try this with a wireless keyboard and a tablet with stylus just in case I need to draw a picture.

I would think in memorization heavy biology classes or medical classes, that you are drawing pictures or diagrams pretty often? Pathways, anatomy, etc? Or do alot of medical school students like typing notes anyway?

I'm not asking about problem set classes like ochem

the only thing most UG requires is a reasonable understanding, doing tons of practice questions.

Off topic question- but in medical school, do professors typically post a bunch of practice problems.

Or people obtain them through other means?

I guess there are probably USMLE test banks but they are not organized by topic

I imagine medical classes are not like problem set classes (physics, orgo)
there are questionbooks by subject, topic , organ system what ever your fancy. Worry about getting to medical school and you will quickly pick up the nuts and bolts of medical school when you get here.

the only thing most UG requires is a reasonable understanding, doing tons of practice questions.

Yeah I need to edit this thread to make it clear I'm asking about memorization heavy biology classes and medical school classes

Do you really get tons of practice questions in these kind of classes?

I wouldn't know- I've been doing lots of engineering classes for the last few years and obviously I have just solved problems that the professor posts nonstop but I made the thread because now I am finally going to take some memorization heavy classes.

And I'm wondering if say in microbiology or say a medical school class even if the professor actually tends to post lots of practice questions.

there are questionbooks by subject, topic , organ system what ever your fancy. Worry about getting to medical school and you will quickly pick up the nuts and bolts of medical school when you get here.

Agreed but I am going to a "first year medical school classes" SMP after the premed classes- so actually I'm curious

What are some popular questionbooks people like using?

I googled medical school questionbook, only found some tangentially related links
https://www.google.com/search?q=med.....69i57j0l5.2428j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yeah I need to edit this thread to make it clear I'm asking about memorization heavy biology classes and medical school classes

Do you really get tons of practice questions in these kind of classes?

I wouldn't know- I've been doing lots of engineering classes for the last few years and obviously I have just solved problems that the professor posts nonstop but I made the thread because now I am finally going to take some memorization heavy classes.

And I'm wondering if say in microbiology or say a medical school class even if the professor actually tends to post lots of practice questions.
Thats the point for UG level classes spaced repitition is not necessary to ace. If you must you can make your own anki cards. or use cornell , or what ever works.

Agreed but I am going to a "first year medical school classes" SMP after the premed classes- so actually I'm curious

What are some popular questionbooks people like using?

I googled medical school questionbook, only found some tangentially related links
https://www.google.com/search?q=med.....69i57j0l5.2428j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Depends on the subject and curriculum, if it is a home grown exam doing questions wont help that much, but if it is an NBME doing question banks and the books will be pertinent.
BRS
Grays
Robbins Q book

The people who can answer this question the best are your upperclassmen at medical school.

Last edited:
I'll just put my two cents in about Cornell Notetaking in med school from my own experience; I've dabbled in it but haven't stuck to it for everything.
1. When handwritten, my class notes are horrible to read, so doing Cornell style on paper without rewriting can be problematic. Not only would I be more reluctant when re-reading my sloppy class notes, but sometimes I also can't exactly make out what I wrote, because my handwriting can be just that bad.
2. Rewriting, if I do choose to do that, takes me a long time, so it becomes a trade-off between giving myself enough energy/ time to review and neatness. Limited time and energy really cap my ability to get the full benefit out of rewriting notes, because rewriting takes so much time and energy, and revision itself will take time and energy too.
3. Re-written notes in Cornell style can be nice because it gives me a full picture of the lecture material, complete with highlighting and questions posed to myself.
4. Even after doing Cornell notes, I sometimes fail to learn the nitty-gritty details. For me, Cornell notes is really great for making sure I understand the lecture's significant themes and concepts, but certain enzyme names have escaped me through this revision method for biochem.
5. The obligatory summarizing box is a bit pointless except for jogging my memory because in the end, details are what make or break me.