Question from a pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Japo237

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you feel empowered by your work as a dentist or weighed down?

Members don't see this ad.

I get you. It depends. Dentistry for me is fun in the aspect that you’re treatment planning and getting to determine how to make something work for patients.

It’s taxing at times depending on how well you communicate expectations to patients. It also depends on how supportive your staff is, too.

Ultimately it depends on the type of dentistry you do—big cases, surgery, bread and butter, or specialty cases.

You need to determine at some point what you want to do in dentistry because your happiness will depend on it

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as a prosthetic dental assistant for several years before I went to DS. It was amazing working with oral cancer patients, accident victims, ex military that had been shot in the face. Being able to give them a smile when they had almost given up on hope was amazing. However, it was very emotionally draining, because nothing was easy.

So to answer your question, I believe it all depends on what your motivation is. If your doing it for the money only, then no, it’s not very empowering, but it is a great job that pays well.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel great when I can provide a service that positively impacts a patients life. Some pts really go out of their way to appreciate your work as well which always is fun (some go out of their way to hate everything as well.)

But there are still many stressors associated with day to day life in dental practice. More-so if you are a practice owner as you play double duty clinician and businessman.

there are many ways you can be of service to people or be 'empowered' that don't involve a moving tongue and cheeks, drills, dental insurances, and lawsuits.