Question from DAT Destroyer Orgo #53

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snlassen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an alkylation question from the Orgo section of DAT Destroyer 2011, #53. If you're doing a Friedel-crafts alkylation of benzene with 1-chloropropane, I just assumed it would add the carbon chain in linear fashion to benzene (benzene attaching to carbon 1). But according to the solutions section, it looks like carbon 2 of propane is what attaches to benzene. Can anyone help me understand why? I know rearrangements can occur when carbocations are formed, but I thought that in the case of a primary alkyl halide, no carbocation could be formed, and that benzene just reacts directly with the lewis-acid-lewis-base compound.... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

AlCl3 takes cholorine and makes the 1-chloropropane form a primary carbocation, and hydride shift occurs and secondary carboncation forms and attaches to the benzene.

Ok, so a primary carbocation does form in this case, but only momentarily before the hydride shift occurs? I guess I thought that the carbocation couldn't even form at all given that it was primary. But that makes sense given the answer to the question. Thanks!

yeah cuz the role of AlCl3 is to take the chlorine from the R-Cl group, therefore carbocation forms, and hydride shift occurs

For friedle-crafts, the rule about rearrangement will apply to anything 3 carbons long or more because those will all be able to form a more stable product.