Question: Getting in next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gameguard

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, It seems my chances of getting into a school this year is quite bleak at this point. I have a question... how many of you got into a dental school on your second cycle? My GPA is below the average (3.25) and I lack in the shadowing and volunteering departments. On top of that my applications went out on the late side. My saving grace is a 24 AA on the DAT, and it got me 2 interviews. I havnt heard from them since though.

My main question is, what did you guys do for your year off? If I get some shadowing, volunteering and some experience in the field, then apply early next cycle, would my chances increase? I have just been waiting and hoping, but it seems like its time for me to plan for next year. Im just not sure what I would do for a whole year.

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine most people get a job in order to support themselves.

If you have the luxury of not needing to work, then I guess you have more options.

i think it would be nice to talk to a dentist who is willing to adopt you. in other words, ask the dentist if he/she is willing to train you to be a dental assistant (take impressions and teach you the instruments) and if you're really interested you could go and get your xray certficiation so you can take xrays too. i think this training will serve you immensely and will help jumpstart you in your preclinical dentistry classes in dental school

Your goal for the next year should be to strengthen your application. I am sure what you do with your time will say a lot to the school about how serious you are about this profession. Denturewearer has given some great advice. I did a marketing campaign for a local dentist which included making a brochure, webpage, and mailing list. The dental schools loved this. What ever you do, do something you love that says something about yourself to the schools. Good luck.