question in micro patho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shlo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody
Can somebody gime the right answer for this question......
which of the following represents the MOST relaible criterion for pathogenicity of staphylococci?
a. Haemolysis
b. Pigment production
c. Coagulase production
d. MAnnitol fermentation
e. liquefaction of gelatin
Remember this is not a question about specificity for staph aureus.......and also they have asked about pathogenicity of staph in general...do we just consider staph aureus or all staph???staph aureus does all the first 4 options....but am not sure which is MOST responsible for pathogenicity......please post the explanation with the answer......

thanx
Shlo

Members don't see this ad.

I think Hemolysis... It cuses the symptoms of the diseases...
I dont think It's Coagulase production bcz this is only true for Staph Auerus. The other choises are not related to the pathogenisity...

shlo said:
Hey everybody
which of the following represents the MOST relaible criterion for pathogenicity of staphylococci?
a. Haemolysis
b. Pigment production
c. Coagulase production
d. MAnnitol fermentation
Remember this is not a question about specificity for staph aureus.......and also they have asked about pathogenicity of staph in general...do we just consider staph aureus or all staph???staph aureus does all the first 4 options....but am not sure which is MOST responsible for pathogenicity......please post the explanation with the answer......

thanx
Shlo

shraz said:
I think Hemolysis... It cuses the symptoms of the diseases...
I dont think It's Coagulase production bcz this is only true for Staph Auerus. The other choises are not related to the pathogenisity...

I thought haemolysis is a characteristic that occured on blood agar.......so how can that be a virulence factor???

Members don't see this ad :)
shlo said:
Hey everybody
a. Haemolysis
b. Pigment production
c. Coagulase production
d. MAnnitol fermentation

thanx

HI,
The answer is coagulase production (the question does not mention positve or negetive ) .Note that other than coagulase positve st.aureus other staph's r not considered pathogenic, except for s.epidermidis.

if u need further reference go this web site ----
http://www.medicalprogress.com/dispdf.cfm?fname=MPDec2005Staphylococcal.pdf

and chk out page numbers 618 and 619 .

styloid said:
shlo said:
Hey everybody
a. Haemolysis
b. Pigment production
c. Coagulase production
d. MAnnitol fermentation

thanx

HI,
The answer is coagulase production (the question does not mention positve or negetive ) .Note that other than coagulase positve st.aureus other staph's r not considered pathogenic, except for s.epidermidis.

if u need further reference go this web site ----
http://www.medicalprogress.com/dispdf.cfm?fname=MPDec2005Staphylococcal.pdf

and chk out page numbers 618 and 619 .

i agree with you , good explanation .

if the question was about virulence ,what would have been the answer ?

mekha said:
styloid said:
i agree with you , good explanation .

if the question was about virulence ,what would have been the answer ?

Then, i would go for virulence .

Hey guys
The answer is coagulase production!!!!!!!!