question in micro pls help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
could someone please help me with this question
the primary infection with herpes simplex virus is characetrized by all of the following except:1)average course of 2-3 weeks.2)a few mild lesions on the lips or in the mouth that resolve over a week to 10 days.3)fever,chills, malaise,.4)vesilcle formation...can u tell me what the answer is
Thanks alot for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

lisax said:
could someone please help me with this question
the primary infection with herpes simplex virus is characetrized by all of the following except:1)average course of 2-3 weeks.2)a few mild lesions on the lips or in the mouth that resolve over a week to 10 days.3)fever,chills, malaise,.4)vesilcle formation...can u tell me what the answer is
Thanks alot for your time :)[/QUO

no oral or lip lesion for primary so ans would be 2

This question is from the decks. The answer is no:4 - 'vesicle formation'.

One or two mild sores in the mouth is common in primary herpetic gingivostomatitis. But vesicle formation is found only in acute herpetic ginigvostomatitis.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this question from the decks? Since I don't remember any such question on the papers. Anyway vesicles do form in H.G and they quickly rupture leaving ulcers. Besides primary H.G and acute H.G cannot necessarily be differentiated on the basis of the vesicle formation. And sorry to contradict you mekha, but lesions do occur on the lips and other parts of the oral cavity in H.G. If this question is from the decks then there is something weird about it :oops:

dr.internationa said:
This question is from the decks. The answer is no:4 - 'vesicle formation'.

One or two mild sores in the mouth is common in primary herpetic gingivostomatitis. But vesicle formation is found only in acute herpetic ginigvostomatitis.

hope this helps.

Before you launch a full fledged assault on me. mekha, please check this out :)

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/opath/Cards/PrimaryHerpeticGingivostomatitis.html

TALAL said:
Is this question from the decks? Since I don't remember any such question on the papers. Anyway vesicles do form in H.G and they quickly rupture leaving ulcers. Besides primary H.G and acute H.G cannot necessarily be differentiated on the basis of the vesicle formation. And sorry to contradict you mekha, but lesions do occur on the lips and other parts of the oral cavity in H.G. If this question is from the decks then there is something weird about it :oops:

hi guys, my answer will be A coz no herpes simplex infection, either type I or II, lasts for longer than 10 days.. there are vescile formations, fever,etc.

mkot

It is from the decks, but the reason I asked this question is that I feel that the explaination given is contradictory.This is what the deck says
ans:Vessicle Formation
The Primary Infection (primary herpetic gingivostomatitis)usulally occurs in a child under ten years of age who had no contact with the type 1 herpes simplex virus and who therefore has no neautralizing antibodies. It may also affect young adults (15-25). Nearly all primary infections are of the subclinical type and one or two mild sores in the mouth which go unnoticed by the parents.
In other children, the primary infection may be manifested by acute symptoms(acute herpetic gingivostomatitis). These include fever; irritability; cervical lymphadenopathy; fiery red gingival tissues; and small, yellowish vesicles which rupture and result in painful ulcers on the free and attached mucosa. The most serious potential problem in a child with this infection is dehydration due to the child not wanting to eat or drink because of pain.
Of all the herpes viruses, herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2 cause manifestations of recurrent infection in otherwise healthy people.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood from the decks it looks like they are saying that if a child has been in contact with the Type 1 herpes simplex virus then the primary infection will have the fromation of yellowish vesicles which will later rupture to become ulcers.
I'm a little confused now..Pls do help me out. :confused:

TALAL said:
Before you launch a full fledged assault on me. mekha, please check this out :)

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/opath/Cards/PrimaryHerpeticGingivostomatitis.html

:)
funny ,funny, funny hehehehe
I am enjoying this !
ok lets get to the point ,usually herpes primary is subclinical ,1)when it cause
the disease it is not mild in choice 2 it says mild.

2)it is in severe form if it cause herpetic g stomatitis
can you contradict on this ?
mild and sub clinical goes unnoticed,mild lesions occur in the oral cavity not
on lips .
check this
http://www.dental.mu.edu/oralpath/spresent/herpetic/sld008.htm
now i am sure the choice 2 is the ans.......lol

what i learnt about the primary herpes simplex infection :

only 1% is expressed as -clinical disease (primary gingivostomatitis)
the rest 99% is subclinical...(no visible disease)

when the clinical disease occurs, fever,malaise,lymphadenopathy develop.within a few days,, mouth becomes painful & gingiva intensely inflamed.lips,tongue,buccal mucosa,palate,pharynx & tonsils may also be involved.shortly,yellowish,fluid filled vesicles develop & rupture to leave ulcers.the ulcers heal within 7-14 days with no scar (note:the ulcers heal within 10 days both in primary & secondary )

i agree with talal,,,the question is weird...
Or can someone come with a better explanation ?

Oh god! You really are getting into the nitty gritty details. You know when I did the decks there were lots of things I found confusing. So guess what? I decided to just skim through them. In cases like this open a textbook like Cawson. Excellent book. I don't know what you used in India but that is what we studied from in Pakistan. As far as the ulcers go, they are formed due to the rupture of the vesicles. Vesicles are present for a very short time.

Mekha, I think you might be right : :( :) 1,3 AND 4 are right. I guess it could be argued that if lesions do occur, as in acute infection, they would not be as mild as the choice puts it. Simply, subclinical inf - no lesions, clinical - painful, many lesions, resolves in 2-3 weeks.

lisax said:
It is from the decks, but the reason I asked this question is that I feel that the explaination given is contradictory.This is what the deck says
ans:Vessicle Formation
The Primary Infection (primary herpetic gingivostomatitis)usulally occurs in a child under ten years of age who had no contact with the type 1 herpes simplex virus and who therefore has no neautralizing antibodies. It may also affect young adults (15-25). Nearly all primary infections are of the subclinical type and one or two mild sores in the mouth which go unnoticed by the parents.
In other children, the primary infection may be manifested by acute symptoms(acute herpetic gingivostomatitis). These include fever; irritability; cervical lymphadenopathy; fiery red gingival tissues; and small, yellowish vesicles which rupture and result in painful ulcers on the free and attached mucosa. The most serious potential problem in a child with this infection is dehydration due to the child not wanting to eat or drink because of pain.
Of all the herpes viruses, herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2 cause manifestations of recurrent infection in otherwise healthy people.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood from the decks it looks like they are saying that if a child has been in contact with the Type 1 herpes simplex virus then the primary infection will have the fromation of yellowish vesicles which will later rupture to become ulcers.
I'm a little confused now..Pls do help me out. :confused:

So basically what we are saying is that the decks are not soooooo reliable. :idea: I havent bought any text books from my home town. Where is the best place for purchasing text books like Cawson for a reasonable deal in the US? :confused:

Hey,

Relax. If you don't have books you can easily google up anything. No big tragedy ;)

lisax said:
So basically what we are saying is that the decks are not soooooo reliable. :idea: I havent bought any text books from my home town. Where is the best place for purchasing text books like Cawson for a reasonable deal in the US? :confused:

lisax,

i would suggest u to use textbooks for reference ( preferably ,the ones u used at college ).Google is an effective search engine . the problem is ,sometimes u come up with different answers for the same question.just like mekha & talal did ! for this thread is their 2nd "duel" ..just kidding guys. i vote for a textbook !! this is my perspective...

I vote for a third duel. This is very interesting.

mouth mirror said:
lisax,

i would suggest u to use textbooks for reference ( preferably ,the ones u used at college ).Google is an effective search engine . the problem is ,sometimes u come up with different answers for the same question.just like mekha & talal did ! for this thread is their 2nd "duel" ..just kidding guys. i vote for a textbook !! this is my perspective...