Question: Is this considered an upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mucophagy

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering whether or not this was considered a significant enough upward trend to talk about in my application/help me with a low overall GPA. Personally I think it is. However, I've read many opinions on the forums about how unless it starts at 2.x (sGPA was this low at some points), it's not a significant upward trend and doesn't merit discussion. Do I need a post-bacc?

1657789057154.png

1657789120589.png

Another question I had was whether or not UCs favor upward trends? I would like to go to one in specific - but I'm far below their average accepted applicant GPA (10th percentile stats wise!) (IS applicant btw. I know without MCAT + ECs it's hard to say, but GPA wise would it be okay? Or would I have to make up for GPA by acing MCAT.)

Just really worried about my GPA after looking at many applicants with stellar GPAs being turned down by med schools. I know it's only one part of the application - but just wanted someone else to chime in. MCAT has yet to be taken, and ECs are fairly decent.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1657789005470.png
    1657789005470.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
1) Yes it is a rising GPA trend. Your overall college GPA is high enough that you do NOT need a SMP. I don't know what courses you took to make a call on doing postbac coursework.
2) Holistic review takes all data into account, but a fantastic MCAT will not substitute for a mediocre GPA. That said, you have a solid GPA, and a strong MCAT could further allay any concerns one could have. But without an idea of your EC's, state residency/demographics, and circumstances about your sustained interest in healthcare, it's too early to say.

When you get an MCAT score, post in the "What are my chances" subforum.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes it is a rising GPA trend. Your overall college GPA is high enough that you do NOT need a SMP. I don't know what courses you took to make a call on doing postbac coursework.
2) Holistic review takes all data into account, but a fantastic MCAT will not substitute for a mediocre GPA. That said, you have a solid GPA, and a strong MCAT could further allay any concerns one could have. But without an idea of your EC's, state residency/demographics, and circumstances about your sustained interest in healthcare, it's too early to say.

When you get an MCAT score, post in the "What are my chances" subforum.
Great, thank you so much, I really appreciate your input.

Can I PM you with a list of courses I took to determine whether or not a post bacc would be necessary? If not, then what would kind of classes would necessitate postbacc coursework?

Also - would taking high level biology classes that aren't specific to the human body be a red flag?

I am taking Evolutionary Biology, Plant Morphology, and Conservation Biology next semester but I'm worried medical schools will frown upon this.

These are all upper level biology classes FYI.

Members don't see this ad :)

Can I PM you with a list of courses I took to determine whether or not a post bacc would be necessary? If not, then what would kind of classes would necessitate postbacc coursework?

Also - would taking high level biology classes that aren't specific to the human body be a red flag?

I am taking Evolutionary Biology, Plant Morphology, and Conservation Biology next semester but I'm worried medical schools will frown upon this.

The plant bio classes will most likely be a waste of effort and time. They may numerically raise your GPA but they’ll be seen as filler GPA boosters.

Reactions: 1 users

You can send what you did, sure. Many universities recognize that the environmental sciences are probably worth their own "discipline" under biology, and many offer specific ecology/evolutionary biology degrees. I think the Course Subjects catalog for most of the health sciences application services classify those courses as either biology or other science (yes, it's not that consistent, but someone check me on this). Regardless it is important to know about evolution as a health professional.

I like to advise people on upper-level biomedical science classes to clarify this confusion.

Reactions: 1 user