Question: Most Challenging Event Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellybean3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice regarding this question. I have been shadowing a surgeon for quite sometime already. I've taken part in routine patient exams, minimally invasive procedures, and surgeries. Surprisingly, the physician was confident enough in me to assist in recent surgeries. I've helped stablize the patient's head while he drilled a hole in the cranium, I was allowed to make small incisions, and sutures to close up wounds. To me this whole process has been extremely challenging but so fulfilling. I would like to write this experience as my most challenging experience. However, I was wondering if the physician allowing me do these procedures was doing so legally or not? If it is illegal is even being in the operation room legal?

Thanks for any input or advice!

Members don't see this ad.

jellybean3 said:
I need some advice regarding this question. I have been shadowing a surgeon for quite sometime already. I've taken part in routine patient exams, minimally invasive procedures, and surgeries. Surprisingly, the physician was confident enough in me to assist in recent surgeries. I've helped stablize the patient's head while he drilled a hole in the cranium, I was allowed to make small incisions, and sutures to close up wounds. To me this whole process has been extremely challenging but so fulfilling. I would like to write this experience as my most challenging experience. However, I was wondering if the physician allowing me do these procedures was doing so legally or not? If it is illegal is even being in the operation room legal?

Stabilizing a head was ok, but allowing you to make an incision and do sutures was illegal AND unethical. Furthermore, he violated his patient,s rights and trust. Think about it, if that were you or a loved one being operated on, how would you feel about the fact that some totally untrained PRE med (as in not even a med student yet) had cut you open and done your stitching when you consented to and were led to believe that a highly tained, licensed, credentialed, and board certified surgeon would be doing those things! My advice, forget about it and tell your friends not to see that physician. That is just horrible!! :mad:

Thanks for your advice. I totally understand what you mean. However, i learned from speaking to another physician that the common saying during residencies was in regards to procedures: "see one, do one, and teach one." Thus believe it or not, and like it or not many procedures are done by others not the "primary" physician. And they may have only seen the procedure once. Anyhow it is true that I am still a PRE med and it is illegal, so I think it is best for me and the physician not to list this in my application. But keep in mind that in med school many things you do are by the quote above.

Members don't see this ad :)
jellybean3 said:
Thanks for your advice. I totally understand what you mean. However, i learned from speaking to another physician that the common saying during residencies was in regards to procedures: "see one, do one, and teach one." Thus believe it or not, and like it or not many procedures are done by others not the "primary" physician. And they may have only seen the procedure once. Anyhow it is true that I am still a PRE med and it is illegal, so I think it is best for me and the physician not to list this in my application. But keep in mind that in med school many things you do are by the quote above.

A resident doing a procedure is a far cry drom an undergraduate pre med doing one! Your key words are "But keep in mind that IN MED SCHOOL many things you do are by the quote above".

True.

On the otherhand. Is observing in the operation room something that is legal?

jellybean3 said:

I'm pretty sure you are playing a joke on us, but out of curiosity, is the surgeon's name Dr. Nick? I shadowed a doctor and she would ask the patient's permission even for me to do something non-invasive like listening to their heart. If what you say really happened and the patient found out, the doctor would probably lose his license. It is different for residents at teaching hospitals because they are covered by the hospital's insurance and the patient knows it's a teaching hospital.

I have to agree with Medic here. Jelly, you sound a bit sociopathic--like rules shouldn't apply and you don't even really think that you did anything wrong. I understand that the residents may do it, but that doesn't make it ethical. I would urge you to gracefully decline the next time that you are offered the chance to do something illegal. Now THAT would be an excellent challenge to write about...