Question of the Day: Acceptances are Iron Clad or Fragile as micro slides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkny2kx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering because if a dental school at the bottom of my list accepts me, can i accept and pay the deposit, then maybe if i get accepted to a better school i accept them and cancel the former.

Are the acceptances IRON clad if you accept? Do you lose the deposit... Whats the Deal?

Members don't see this ad.

If you cancel you will lose your deposit.

If you are accepted to more than one school, you are free to hold your acceptance (and make deposits) to as many schools as you wish. These deposits are usually non-refundable.

**New this year** AADSAS will be notified [In May?] of students that are still holding acceptances to more than one school. These students CAN be dropped from all accepted schools.

Basically, pick you top choice of the schools you get accepted to. If you're holding out for one you REALLLY want, accept the other one first, and wait to see if you get into your top choice

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were lucky enough to get multiple acceptances, it's fine to put down more than one deposit to save a seat while you make up your mind. You won't get your deposit back once the school cashes the check though.

Once you make up your mind, you should notify the schools you don't want to attend. That way they can start giving out acceptances to those on their waitlist (if you were on a waitlist, I'm sure you'd be pretty anxious to hear back)

By May, you definitely want to have notified the schools you don't plan to attend. I am under the impression (based on how I interpreted the wording) that once the schools are notified that someone is holding mutiple spots, they can DROP you (ie - rescind your acceptance) Which is fair because by that time you should have made up your mind and schools need to fill their classes too. At least that's how I think it works.

I wonder if aadsas will really adhere to that rule this year...because they said something similar last year, but alas nothing was really done. As a person on a few waitlists last year I was really hoping they would have done something to cause movement!!
Oh, and yes you can hold multiple spots just be prepared to dish out a lot of cash you won't ever see again!